Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Angry Postons in the News

The Postons are currently in disputes with about half a dozen NFL teams. Here are five of the teams and their disputes with the Postons.

SAN FRANCISCO
    Linebacker Julian Peterson is franchised and headed for a holdout. The ***** are offering him the richest contract in team history, including a $15.5 million signing bonus. The Postons are reportedly seeking a $30 million bonus.

ST. LOUIS
    Five-time Pro Bowler Orlando Pace is franchised for the second year in a row. The Postons are seeking a $27 million signing bonus and the Rams are offering a $13 million signing bonus. Pace reportedly wants to play for the Browns, who do not want to give up two No. 1 picks, the price for a franchise player. The Postons asked for a seven-year, $71 million deal for Pace. The Rams have offered a seven-year deal worth $42.5 million. Rams president of football operations Jay Zygmunt called the Postons' proposal a ransom note. "A ransom note? How can you call that a ransom note when Peyton Manning got a $98 million contract?" said Kevin Poston. "Do you really think that Peyton Manning is worth $30 million more than Orlando Pace? Orlando helped Kurt Warner become a two-time MVP. He helped Marshall Faulk become the league MVP."

OAKLAND
    The Raiders had to franchise Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson, above, and are bracing for a holdout. He reportedly wants a bigger bonus than Poston client Ty Law received in 2001 ($14.2 million) from the Patriots.

WASHINGTON
    The Postons and LaVar Arrington say the Redskins rushed Arrington into a deal that omitted an agreed-upon $6.5 million bonus for 2006. Union chief Gene Upshaw is trying to broker a deal, but the dispute is headed to arbitration next month. "We did nothing wrong on the Arrington contract," said Kevin Poston. "What we agreed to was not ultimately in the contract. A $6.5 million bonus was missing, and they rushed LaVar to sign it so they could meet a salary-cap deadline."

NEW ENGLAND
    Pro Bowl cornerback Ty Law, above, recently called coach Bill Belichick a liar for allegedly promising him a guaranteed amount of money and then reneging on it. He will play this year at his cap-rich number of $10 million and then the two sides could be back at it again in the off-season. "The numbers don't lie," said Law. ". . . The Postons do everything possible to get fair market value. I'm going to live and die by the Postons on and off the field."

- Mary Kay Cabot The Plain Dealer

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Postons in the News

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Orlando helped Kurt Warner become a two-time MVP. He helped Marshall Faulk become the league MVP.
    That's horrible logic, but then again, not surprising from Poston.

If you're going to argue that Pace deserves that kind of money, argue that he's talented or his Pro Bowl appearances. Don't argue that he helped other guys achieve glory. Last time I checked, there were five offensive lineman on the field at any given time. Pace was an intregal part of a team, but nothing more than a part, like any other player.

I really hope these guys are run out of the business ASAP.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

What planet are these guys from?!?!

They embody everything that is wrong in football. They go out, recruit players with IQs that soar like school zone speed limits, and then hold teams hostage while they attempt to convince the world that their player is being mistreated. Amazing...nothing short of a disease to the league.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

majorram is offline Registered User

The Postens are bad for the Sport, Players and the Fans, they should be run out of town... Why the hell do the players hire these two anyway.....

steve

majorram is offline Registered User

The more I think bout this, I just hope that Pace sees sence and dumps these two idots!!!

steve :ramlogo:

coy bacon is offline Registered User

The Postons sound like they are great lawyers! Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem able to get super big bucks for their players. And, I'm sure that for each buck their boys get paid, they make a percentage. It is business and it is the ugly side of football that we don't like. But, if I were a successful jock I would consider having them as my agent.

Put yourself in Pace's shoes... Poston is asking for 27, Rams offing 13. If you could land a 20 million bonus, instead of 15, wouldn't you take it? I would. And, if I gotta play hardball with the team, to make that extra 5 or so million, why not? Pace has a ring doesn't he.... maybe now he values $ more than fame.

What happens to Pace if his knee gets blown out? Will the team carry him with an injury? I don't think so. So then, why shouldn't he grab all the cash he can get?

Let's face it, right or wrong, Pace's first priority is making money, his 2nd priority may be building a strong team and being the best OT he can be. But the money comes first. And that is what the Poston's are doing, and possibly doing it well.

Quote Originally Posted by coybacon
    Put yourself in Pace's shoes... Poston is asking for 27, Rams offing 13. If you could land a 20 million bonus, instead of 15, wouldn't you take it? I would.
    But he's not going to get 20 million. If the Poston's were being reasonable, they could have matched the Rams 13 offer with 20, they would have met around 16.....last year. The Postons aren't doing him any favors. If they had his best interests in mind, they would have got him signed last year. So instead of having a big fat 15 or 16 million in the bank, he has nothing. Will he sign this year and get his 15 or 16 million...if he's smart he will. But just because the Postons make some outlandish counter-offer (27 million) to the Rams offer (13 million), doesn't mean the agreed figure will be the middle (20 million). So instead of having his 15 or 16 million sitting in the bank drawing interest for over a year now, he has a franchise tag on his backside, and his name on the list of players stupid enough to reside in the Poston stable.

Not exactly what I would want from an agent.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramfaninpgh is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    The Postons sound like they are great lawyers! Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem able to get super big bucks for their players. And, I'm sure that for each buck their boys get paid, they make a percentage. It is business and it is the ugly side of football that we don't like. But, if I were a successful jock I would consider having them as my agent.

Put yourself in Pace's shoes... Poston is asking for 27, Rams offing 13. If you could land a 20 million bonus, instead of 15, wouldn't you take it? I would. And, if I gotta play hardball with the team, to make that extra 5 or so million, why not? Pace has a ring doesn't he.... maybe now he values $ more than fame.

What happens to Pace if his knee gets blown out? Will the team carry him with an injury? I don't think so. So then, why shouldn't he grab all the cash he can get?

Let's face it, right or wrong, Pace's first priority is making money, his 2nd priority may be building a strong team and being the best OT he can be. But the money comes first. And that is what the Poston's are doing, and possibly doing it well.
    You don't have to be a horse's ass to be a good, reputable agent. I may be wrong, but I can't recall a football agent as repugnant as these two.

As for your question about why shouldn't he grab all the cash he can--ask Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk. All super stars on this team, who didn't grab all the cash they could. That attitude benefited the team and their teammates. I'm not being idealistic, but that's the truth. These and plenty of other players throughout the league have had good, reputable agents who've gotten good reasonable deals for their clients, and played hardball when necessary, without sullying their reputations. Leigh Steinberg is reputable, has represented top tier athletes for many years, and is a solid negotiator. He plays hardball when he has to, but there's a right way to do that, and it takes tact and skill. I guess the Postons were absent from class that day.
    :angryram: RamFanInPgh

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think this has much to do with anything. Pace hates training camp, the Rams know it.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramfaninpgh
    As for your question about why shouldn't he grab all the cash he can--ask Kurt Warner, Isaac Bruce, Marshall Faulk. All super stars on this team, who didn't grab all the cash they could. That attitude benefited the team and their teammates
    I hear what you're saying. But, what if the player wants to benefit himself and make the team his 2nd priority? Didn't Warner restructure his contract for the benefit of the team to make the salary cap? In retrospec I wonder if Warner would do it over again. I am not sure, but somehow I think he ended up losing money in the whole deal. If's that the case, can anyone blame anyone else for going for the money? I don't. The Rams are not a family, they are a business. Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by coybacon
    If's that the case, can anyone blame anyone else for going for the money?
    Pace has lost money, due to being a Poston client.
    I repeat, Pace has lost money, due to being a Poston client.

As I said earlier,
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    If the Poston's were being reasonable, they could have matched the Rams 13 offer with 20, they would have met around 16.....last year. The Postons aren't doing him any favors. If they had his best interests in mind, they would have got him signed last year. So instead of having a big fat 15 or 16 million in the bank, he has nothing.
    If he wants to "go for the money", dump the Postons.
    If he wants to "be a team player", dump the Postons.
    If he wants to continue to be counted among the illiterate throng that buy into the Poston propaganda, keep the Postons.

For the record, none of this will get him into McComb any earlier. Big boy don't wanna sweat.

ramfaninpgh is offline Registered User

I hear what you're saying. But, what if the player wants to benefit himself and make the team his 2nd priority? Didn't Warner restructure his contract for the benefit of the team to make the salary cap? In retrospec I wonder if Warner would do it over again. I am not sure, but somehow I think he ended up losing money in the whole deal. If's that the case, can anyone blame anyone else for going for the money? I don't. The Rams are not a family, they are a business. Sad but true.
    Indeed it is a business. But this isn't "business as usual". I don't know how much money Pace has earned so far in his career. But with each contract he has signed so far, he has benefitted immensly. He's not living paycheck to paycheck. As it stands right at this moment, he wants for nothing. And if he never played another down due to injury or whatever, if he's wise with what he has socked away, he and his family will want for nothing for the rest of his life. The same with Warner and his restructured contract. You say Warner (may have) lost money on the deal. I don't see it as "lost money" in the sense that I think you mean it. It's simply more money that he could have earned, which isn't the same thing. It's not like it was in the bank and the Rams asked him to give it back. Then too, in Warner's case, he got a $6M roster bonus last season. Six milion dollars just to be on the roster. For one season. And there was a salary on top of that. Do I feel sorry for him? No way.

What if the team decides to make Pace's over zealous pursuit of the money a second priority and the financial health of the team it's first priority? Pace sits at home with no contract and no football this season and the Rams find someone to fill the spot. Doesn't help either side.
    :angryram: RamFanInPgh

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

That sounds like support for signing a long-term deal and getting some guaranteed bonus money rather than holding out and signing a franchise tender that carries no bonus.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

I can see guys being represented by these guys dropping in the draft. That's something that has happened in baseball with guys dropping because they have bad representation.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Quote Originally Posted by DJRamFan
    I can see guys being represented by these guys dropping in the draft. That's something that has happened in baseball with guys dropping because they have bad representation.
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there speculation that this is why EJ Henderson fell to the 2nd round last year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast