RamWraith is offline Registered User

Praise for Barron on special day

Praise for Barron on special day

By TRAVIS BOLAND, T&D Sports Writer

Alex Barron was recognized at Orangeburg-Wilkinson High School Monday for the athletic talent that allowed him to be a first-round pick of the St. Louis Rams, but he is more than that.

Here's what some of the people who knew Barron well had to say about the All-American during his trip to the All-America City.

"We're constantly encouraging student-athletes to select good role models, and I can't think of a better role model than Alex Barron.

He's earned his degree from Florida State, and he was a first-round draft pick by the Rams, but as a student-athlete you talk about discipline and performance on the field, Alex embodied all of that. Here's a player that younger guys coming up can look at and say, I can do that."

Geb Runager, director, Orangeburg Fellowship of Christian Athletes

"I've watched Alex since he was knee-high to a grasshopper, and have watched him flourish. I saw him in high school and college and he has developed not only as a player, but also as a citizen. He has stayed humble through everything that has happened to him. When he comes back to workout, he wears the Orangeburg-Wilkinson gear, and takes time to sit down with the current players and help them develop.

He's going to do well in the future, and in a few years we're going to be having another Alex Barron Day, for when he named an All-Pro in the NFL."

Tony Felder, Orangeburg-Wilkinson head football coach

"As a die-hard Florida State fan, and being from South Carolina, it's always nice to go to Tallahassee and see a player from South Carolina succeeding on the field. Alex has been a Seminole the past four years, and to know that he comes from a town 15 miles from where I grew up is pretty awesome. It was appropriate to have a Florida State fan here today to let him know that we love him and that he will be a Seminole forever."

Diane Ervin, FSU Alumni Board of Trustee member

"This was truly a blessing to have another young man come from Orangeburg who has done some good things, not only athletically but personally.

I'm not surprised that Alex has succeeded because he has always had the attitude that he was going to be successful. He came through Orangeburg-Wilkinson and did some great things, and continued that at Florida State, and there's no reason why he won't do the same thing playing on Sundays.

I consider it a blessing to have been a small part of his life, and hopefully I was able to instill in him some good qualities that he can take into his pro career."

Tommy Brown, Calhoun County head football coach

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

Re: Praise for Barron on special day

too bad he can't be praised by the coaches in training camp.

he's our future stud to team with pace, we need him to be the beast, NOW.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Really? We need him to be beast right NOW? Is there a game on that I am missing?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Really? We need him to be beast right NOW? Is there a game on that I am missing?
    Exactly. Are our standards so high that rookies are not even supposed to get time in training camp to make the transition to the NFL game? It's a wonder how any rookies succeed! :tut

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I like the article; sounds like Barron should be able to pick up the O fiarly quickly. :mask:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good article (not just because it flatters AB).

No doubt we have another Mr. Nice Guy in our Ram roster but I trust that our veterans -- including Jackie Slater -- will give him a few lessons on being...

MEAN AND TOUGH while on duty!

Maybe even Incognito can show BIG A a few tricks of the terrible.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Exactly. Are our standards so high that rookies are not even supposed to get time in training camp to make the transition to the NFL game? It's a wonder how any rookies succeed! :tut
    That's just Martz' style. He rips on all the rookies that he's expecting a lot from. Remember two years ago how he was on Kennedy so bad? How about last year when he rode Smoker like a rented mule? Also from last year, he crawled inside Jackson at the begining of camp and didn't get out until the season. I saw that one for myself. The three days we were in Macomb, the only time I ever heard Martz raise his voice was to yell at Jackson! This is what he does....right or wrong, that's his style when dealing with rookies.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

In my best crazy desperate news reporter voice:

"No, you're wrong! It just can't be Martz dealing with another stud rookie how he always seems to do! It just can't!

It must be that Alex Barron is already a bust! Yeah, that's it! That's what the world wants to hear!"