Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Pre-Season Game 1: Rams vs. Colts Discussion Thread

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Pre-Season Game 1: Rams vs. Colts Discussion Thread

When did the word "solid" become more than what it is? To me, solid doesn't mean amazing or even great, but adequate.

Short, accurate completions are nothing to sneeze at. If anyone could do it and do it well, then Colt McCoy would still be starting in Cleveland. So when Bradford's accurate, even on high percentage routes, he deserves credit for it. But I agree, the inaccurate deep pass and being too wide on the fourth down road kept this day from being elevated above a "solid" one for Sam.

I mentioned this in the chat room, every quarterback in the league needs some level of talent around him to be successful, a baseline if you will. It looks like the Rams still have some work to do on the offensive line, but they've improved their talent at WR, added depth to the backfield, and have returned to a scheme that Sam is supposed to be comfortable with. If the protection can be at least adequate, then this is a favorable situation for Sam to bounce back.

At some point, you expect a guy you drafted first overall to be the spark of your offense and not the solid guy that is basically about as good as the guys around him. That's hard to do in adverse circumstances, such as times when you're not being well protected, but those are the results you expect when you spend a high draft pick and a huge contract on a guy. The best quarterbacks in the league are the ones who can perform at a high level even when they don't have the best tools or find themselves in the best situations. I mean, the Colts aren't exactly loaded with offensive talent either, and Luck looked like he was the veteran out there, if we're being honest.

So while I think Sam's day was solid because of the short field accuracy and decision making he displayed, I would agree with those that think we need to see more from him this year. But I think we need to see some actual regular season games before we start making any firm conclusions one way or another; we've all been waiting for the return of football for so long, that we have to fight the urge to draw too many meaningful conclusions from what we just watched. A larger body of evidence will be required when forming any kind of real opinion, but to say the least, this probably wasn't the start most Rams fans were hoping for.
    Rambos and Flippin' Ram like this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Seriously? This game was Bradfords fault people? The online was putrid. He was pressured on every snap (I think, literally.) He stood in the pocket and made throws as he was getting hit.. All of the things to b!tch about he should be near the bottom

I don't think anyone said the loss was his fault. They simply said he didn't play all that well, especially as a former #1 draft pick. I agree, his play was........meh. His throw on that fourth was putrid.

If they play like this again next week, I think it will be time to seriously get worried.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

The thing that bugs me is, the fact that Sam Bradford or (any quarterback for that matter) would be getting criticized, evaluated or scrutinized after playing one quarter of preseason football. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending his play and I'm not saying that he couldn't or shouldn't have done better. But, I think that most quarterbacks are made or broken by the quality of the offensive lines in front of them. Yes, he is a first round draft pick and he is getting paid a heck of a lot money, but he will not improve as a quarterback until he starts getting some protection.

There's still three more preseason games to go and I am a strong believer that everyone (even NFL players are entitled to a bad game.) But, I'm going on record with this right now. If the Rams don't do something about the offensive line (especially J Smith) it is not going to matter if they had Tom Brady in there.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When did the word "solid" become more than what it is? To me, solid doesn't mean amazing or even great, but adequate.

Short, accurate completions are nothing to sneeze at. If anyone could do it and do it well, then Colt McCoy would still be starting in Cleveland. So when Bradford's accurate, even on high percentage routes, he deserves credit for it. But I agree, the inaccurate deep pass and being too wide on the fourth down road kept this day from being elevated above a "solid" one for Sam.

I mentioned this in the chat room, every quarterback in the league needs some level of talent around him to be successful, a baseline if you will. It looks like the Rams still have some work to do on the offensive line, but they've improved their talent at WR, added depth to the backfield, and have returned to a scheme that Sam is supposed to be comfortable with. If the protection can be at least adequate, then this is a favorable situation for Sam to bounce back.

At some point, you expect a guy you drafted first overall to be the spark of your offense and not the solid guy that is basically about as good as the guys around him. That's hard to do in adverse circumstances, such as times when you're not being well protected, but those are the results you expect when you spend a high draft pick and a huge contract on a guy. The best quarterbacks in the league are the ones who can perform at a high level even when they don't have the best tools or find themselves in the best situations. I mean, the Colts aren't exactly loaded with offensive talent either, and Luck looked like he was the veteran out there, if we're being honest.

So while I think Sam's day was solid because of the short field accuracy and decision making he displayed, I would agree with those that think we need to see more from him this year. But I think we need to see some actual regular season games before we start making any firm conclusions one way or another; we've all been waiting for the return of football for so long, that we have to fight the urge to draw too many meaningful conclusions from what we just watched. A larger body of evidence will be required when forming any kind of real opinion, but to say the least, this probably wasn't the start most Rams fans were hoping for.
    That's all great and all in theory, but how many quarterbacks can you name who succeeded with terrible offensive lines who aren't hall of famers or future hof's? And of those, how many played great in their later years and were able to remain healthy? I'd be willing to bet the list of super talented highly regarded college quarterbacks who could or should have been great, but ended up broken and beaten would be a lot longer.

Look I agree with you and your points are valid. Any educated football fan like yourself knows that all players need time to develop and there has to be a chemistry between the team. But, the long road back to respectability for any team will be full of bumps and bruises and a there will be a lot of missteps along the way. Sam Bradford like Marc Bulger will be the sacrificial lamb (both metaphorically and physically) until the o-line finally gets fixed.

Players play great in already great systems. Not teams that are trying to build a system.

Rambos is online now Registered User

That's all great and all in theory, but how many quarterbacks can you name who succeeded with terrible offensive lines who aren't hall of famers or future hof's? And of those, how many played great in their later years and were able to remain healthy? I'd be willing to bet the list of super talented highly regarded college quarterbacks who could or should have been great, but ended up broken and beaten would be a lot longer.

Look I agree with you and your points are valid. Any educated football fan like yourself knows that all players need time to develop and there has to be a chemistry between the team. But, the long road back to respectability for any team will be full of bumps and bruises and a there will be a lot of missteps along the way. Sam Bradford like Marc Bulger will be the sacrificial lamb (both metaphorically and physically) until the o-line finally gets fixed.

Players play great in already great systems. Not teams that are trying to build a system.
    I believe Fisher will not let Bradford take the beating like the old regime. He will use the scheme to protect Sam until he, that being Fisher has had time to put an offensive line together.

What does that mean for Rams fans.... run, run, short pass. Run, run, short pass. Look at the box score today, when Sam was in...

St. Louis Rams at 15:00
    1-P.McAfee kicks 73 yards from IND 35 to STL -8. 24-I.Pead to STL 22 for 30 yards (14-Q.Cosby).
    1-10-STL 22 (14:53) (Run formation) 39-S.Jackson up the middle to STL 28 for 6 yards (21-J.King).
    2-4-STL 28 (14:17) (Run formation) 39-S.Jackson right end to STL 34 for 6 yards (21-J.King).
    1-10-STL 34 (13:38) 39-S.Jackson up the middle to STL 35 for 1 yard (53-K.Conner).
    2-9-STL 35 (13:00) (Run formation) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 88-L.Kendricks to STL 45 for 10 yards (28-T.Zbikowski; 25-J.Powers).
    1-10-STL 45 (12:21) (Run formation) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 12-S.Smith to IND 48 for 7 yards (21-J.King).
    2-3-IND 48 (11:47) (Run formation) 39-S.Jackson up the middle to IND 44 for 4 yards (91-R.Mathews).
    1-10-IND 44 (11:07) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 16-D.Amendola to IND 38 for 6 yards (21-J.King).
    2-4-IND 38 (10:29) (Run formation) 8-S.Bradford pass incomplete deep left to 12-S.Smith.
    3-4-IND 38 (10:22) (Shotgun) PENALTY on STL-8-S.Bradford, Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at IND 38 - No Play.
    3-9-IND 43 (10:22) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 39-S.Jackson to IND 37 for 6 yards (94-D.Nevis; 50-J.Freeman).
    4-3-IND 37 (9:38) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass incomplete short left to 16-D.Amendola.

Until we have a line, this is what we are going to get. It may take until after next years free agency and draft until we can start to open things up. This line is going to be weak this year.

McD may have left Bradford exposed Fisher will gladly protect his QB with the play calls until he can protect him with a great O line IMO.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm with you on the offensive line; as I touched on in my response, it has to get better, and few quarterbacks can make plays from their back. That's all the more reason why it's important to make plays when you're upright and there's one to be made, like the fourth down pass that Sam just wasn't on target with. Succeeding in those kinds of situations separate the solid quarterbacks from the good and great ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I believe Fisher will not let Bradford take the beating like the old regime. He will use the scheme to protect Sam until he, that being Fisher has had time to put an offensive line together.
    And yet even in limited time today in this short passing scheme, Sam took a couple of hits. Let's hope the line gets it together and this was just a rusty debut.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    And yet even in limited time today in this short passing scheme, Sam took a couple of hits. Let's hope the line gets it together and this was just a rusty debut.
    Yeah he did, there is no way he won't get hit, but Fisher won't pull a Martz and sacrifice him for a win or two this year. I see Max protection and dink and dunk, roll him out all year long. He was not sacked today.

This line needs Wells... and a RT you got one?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Bradford has not improved one bit since day one. He has nearly the worst pocket presence I have ever seen in a QB.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Bradford has not improved one bit since day one. He has nearly the worst pocket presence I have ever seen in a QB.
    I love Bradford, but yes...he does have bad pocket presence.

I'm not sure if others have noticed it, but he just does not look COMFORTABLE in the pocket. His feet become stones, and it's just awkward to watch him.

Luck on the other hand, has very active footwork, his head is on a swivel, and plays behind an o-line that is averagely talented.

Bradford looks the most comfortable when playing out of the shotgun, so I don't understand why we rarely run shotgun formations.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Bradford looks the most comfortable when playing out of the shotgun, so I don't understand why we rarely run shotgun formations.
    To get him more comfortable with the direct handoff from center.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789