Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Pre-season matters, and it's a long road ahead.

I think people get confused with the concept that Pre-season doesn't matter.

They make references like "the Colts go 0-5 every year in pre-season and go on to win the majority of their regular season games."

This is because their first team offense marches down the field and scores a TD, and then comes out of the game. The rest of the game is garbage time, and the outcome (win/loss) does not matter.

Don't confuse the fact that win/losses do not matter with the reality that the team you field in your 3rd pre-season game is the team you have. Not gonna be able to change anything between then and the regular season.

Sure it's vanilla, but the Vanilla Charges just showed us that we do not belong in their league. And the Seahawks showed that they can hang with the Chargers. Yes, their is some weight on first game for the Chargers, but it was the first game for the Seahawks too, and they marched their first team down and scored on the Chargers defense.

Certain things, like Bulger locking on to receivers and looking rusty, will hopefully shape up by next week, but the defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense in the second week, and I'm not sure there is much to anticipate for next week for this defense, as it looks the same as last year.

How did we expect that only adding Carricker was going to make us improved? Why even get rid of Kennedy and Jerametrius butler for depth? Hall and Draft were not aggressive moves, just decent FA pickups in the offseason.

I think I mentioned before, but I'm now questioning Linehan and the front office as to whether or not the time we spent getting Bennett and Mcmichael in any way took away from time that could have been spent trying to get an Adelius Thomas?? Because you can only throw the ball to one guy at a time, so our offense does not get that much better by adding these two guys, and our defense looks like it will have about as much improvement as bringing in one guy from college to play a new position can bring you.

We've haven't matched up well against San Diego the last few years, so hopefully we're a bit better on defense than this particular game showed, but I'm seriously disappointed so far.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-season matters, and it's a long road ahead.

The starting Defense wasnt incredibly bad. Not good to see them being gashed again BUT they held the Chargers starters (sans LT) to 7 first half points....Ill take that all year. No way you can hang the 81 yd punt return on the defense. Bulger and co. will be fine.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Sure it's vanilla, but the Vanilla Charges just showed us that we do not belong in their league. And the Seahawks showed that they can hang with the Chargers. Yes, their is some weight on first game for the Chargers, but it was the first game for the Seahawks too, and they marched their first team down and scored on the Chargers defense.
    Everything in preseason is relative. We didn't play Jackson, who is THE guy in our offense. Take away a questionable fumble by Hedgecock and who knows what could have happened? The offense moved the ball up and down the field on the Chargers first team and other than the interception by Bulger, looked dominant. How do you make an accurate judgement based on all that?

The Seahawks score a TD on the Chargers defense and that proves they can hang with them? IMO, that TD doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Look at what happened to them against the Packers, a 48-13 drubbing. What does that say about their defense? Do they get a pass because they didn't play Hasselbeck? Do we get a pass because we didn't play Jackson?

The second game of the preseason is IMO no time to panic. Sure it would be great if everything looked solid, but in the big picture, it really doesn't matter.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Wow, yeah it matters but it does not count. We are looking at players, and showing very little. All the matters is guys like Hagan and Alston get a chance to show what they can do and no one gets hurt. Thats about it, really.

GB put up 48 on the hags, I guess they are done for the year.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I think I mentioned before, but I'm now questioning Linehan and the front office as to whether or not the time we spent getting Bennett and Mcmichael in any way took away from time that could have been spent trying to get an Adelius Thomas?? Because you can only throw the ball to one guy at a time, so our offense does not get that much better by adding these two guys, and our defense looks like it will have about as much improvement as bringing in one guy from college to play a new position can bring you.
    How can you legitimately question the coaching staff and front office when you haven't even seen a full game yet with the starters, that's not realistic.

The TE has become an integral part of many of the great offenses in the league and this is our first year with a legit TE in a long time, so just wait and see what happens before you throw Linehan and company under the bus.

Why people are so eager to criticize and jump the gun at every little thing they see in a preseason game is beyond me. Patience is the key.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

RealRam is offline Registered User

You're right, Ramsbruce. Patience IS the key!

How often are teams obliged to 'be patient' precisely because things haven't gone their way during the R-E-G-U-L-A-R season (injuries, failures, etc.) ... to not panic.

How much more then, that is, the more reason to be patient during PRESEASON. [PS: For further arguments, see the 'Preseason / Glass Half Full' thread.]
    Last edited by RealRam; -08-20-2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added PS

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

How did we expect that only adding Carricker was going to make us improved? Why even get rid of Kennedy and Jerametrius butler for depth? Hall and Draft were not aggressive moves, just decent FA pickups in the offseason.

I support the decision to dump Kennedy and Butler. Disgruntled players who have quit on the team aren't going to help. I don't know the whole story on Butler, but Kennedy reportedly wouldn't take coaching at the nose position (presumably because he thought he deserved to be a starting three technique).

As for Thomas, I don't think we ever planned on making a serious effort to outbid everyone else for his services. We had already signed Tinoisamoa to a 5-year extension and picked up Witherspoon in free agency last off-season. I think the perception was that we didn't need to put that much more money into signing another linebacker, even if it was Adalius Thomas.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I think getting rid of dead weight and adding Carriker is going to improve the D tremendously. The problem last year was no push up front. Now just adding him has changed everything. Little will get less double teams and AC stops the run! Now the DB's will get a fighting chance . The Lb's better step up and the should come opener! This Defense has already improved 100%!!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

With the exception of the secondary and all the missed tackles our defense looks pretty promising. We saw that for the second week that carriker could hold up against a good line. We saw good pressure on the QB from our new DE James Hall (an area we lacked completely last year.) Claude Wroten looked solid and had a nice play on the QB. All and all, the positions that we needed to show improvement on all looked improved. Including Dante Hall looking pretty legit on the return game. I could go on about how good Brian Leonard looked and the outstanding play by our young O-line. Or the great promising play of Wade and Hagans, but I guess some of you out there must have missed all that. Bottom line is if we didn't allow that punt return or if one of those two turnovers went are way, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -08-19-2007 at 11:37 PM.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

C'mon guys chill out just a little.... Remember not to get too high with the wins or too low with the loses......

1 game especially in the preseason will not make or break the Rams season.... Lets hope our guys stay healthy......

It's very simple guys.... The preseason is the preseason.... Some coaches try and develop leaders and look for improve effort on bad teams.... Some coaches just hope to see the 1st string develop some chemistry and not get injured....

In response to renrawtruk,,,,

Yes, adding Adam can make a huge difference..... It was not too long ago the Rams added a player like M. Faulk and a QB T. Green who was injured that year..... In sum, 1 player can make a huge difference ie.... Drew Brees, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher.

I'm not saying Adam C. at that level but give it time.....

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Sure it's vanilla, but the Vanilla Charges just showed us that we do not belong in their league. And the Seahawks showed that they can hang with the Chargers.
    Based on one drive? If you're going to discount the importance behind the Colts' poor preseason record because of how little their starters play, I don't see how you can turn around and claim the Seahawks can hang with San Diego because of the one drive their starters were in for.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I think people get confused with the concept that Pre-season doesn't matter.

They make references like "the Colts go 0-5 every year in pre-season and go on to win the majority of their regular season games."

This is because their first team offense marches down the field and scores a TD, and then comes out of the game. The rest of the game is garbage time, and the outcome (win/loss) does not matter.

Don't confuse the fact that win/losses do not matter with the reality that the team you field in your 3rd pre-season game is the team you have. Not gonna be able to change anything between then and the regular season.

Certain things, like Bulger locking on to receivers and looking rusty, will hopefully shape up by next week, but the defense is supposed to be ahead of the offense in the second week, and I'm not sure there is much to anticipate for next week for this defense, as it looks the same as last year.

We've haven't matched up well against San Diego the last few years, so hopefully we're a bit better on defense than this particular game showed, but I'm seriously disappointed so far.
    I agree that pre-season matters, but I don't really agree with your analysis.

The Rams moved the ball on the Chargers. Turnovers prevented them from putting points up, but they moved it with a rookie at RB instead of SJ and they moved it with both Bulger and Frerotte in there.

I don't know if you've watched Denver or Washington at all this pre-season, but Kennedy looks like his old lazy self and Butler is burried deep on the Skins depth chart as well. They're not doing anything.

It wouldn't have mattered what the Rams did, they would not have gotten Adelius Thomas. He went to New England on the first day of free agency and they never let him leave. The Rams had no shot at him, and even if they did, he didn't fit the Rams system. There simply weren't any top any impact DT's or LB's available that both fit what the Rams do and filled a big hole and that the Rams had a realistic shot at, and what they did was got the best players they could land. Still, they managed to add James Hall, Chris Draft and Todd Johnson and all those guys are going to help.

The Rams may not yet be in the same league with the Chargers, but i don't think that game showed they were nearly as far out of it as you seem to think it did.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I've been a bit disappointed in a few things that I've seen so far, but I'm willing to wait for a game that matters, with the #1's in there for the whole game before I get too concerned. So, no, winning and losing in the preseason means nada. But how you look in winning and/or losing may mean more. For example, we got beat by a very good, if not the best team in the NFL. But not by their starters. The Seachickens, on the other hand, gave up a ton of points (with most of the starters in) to the mighty Packers! Who should be more concerned? ...or does either tell a complete story?

My take is that a game, a single game, be it preseason or regular, is just ONE game. How many of you have ever played a sport, any sport? Bad games happen to every one, and to every team. Even if this were the regular season, we can't put too much emphasis on one loss. If it continues, and we see a trend of bad tackling, bad angles and no offense, then I'll be concerned.

Is there anyone in here that really thinks the Rams are as good as the Chargers? So, why should we be alarmed at this loss? Look, realistically, the 2007 Rams are a team in a rebuilding mode, and while I do agree we have "a long way to go", we are a better team this year, but our win/loss record in the preseason means nothing.

Okay, that being said renrawtruk, THIS week we MUST win.

It IS the Faiders, and my name is; ramfanraiderhater. AND, I actually bet on this game. (can't believe I did that, but it was an obnoxious Faider fan, so can you blame me?) So, this IS one preseason game I want us to win.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I think was the first real pre-season game and yes there was a lot of rust. We saw the same thing last year and the team left the gate strong (although the first game was all filed goals, LOL) and then stumble in the middle of the season, only to finish with some respect. Pre-season doesn't matter mostly because the record doesn't count towards the playoffs. Also you don't see the first unit out there for the whole game, by the end of the game in the first three games I think you looking at 2nd string and practice squad guys. I also believe the coach and the starters aren't going to throw it all out there for pre-season game, it doesn't make sense to. Preventing injuries and resting the body are more important at this point. We will look real good against the Faiders because they suck, but we may just tank it for the Chefs in order to save the boys for the real season. I have been watching these games regularly since the late 80's and have been fooled many times. Mostly I try to focus on certain players to see how they are doing individually, other than that, it's mostly like watching a commercial before the real show begins....just my opinion...

Oh and good post RaiderHater! (I guess we can't put those comments in rep power anymore?)
    Last edited by MoonJoe; -08-20-2007 at 01:00 AM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Oh and good post RaiderHater! (I guess we can't put those comments in rep power anymore?)
    You should be able to click the small star button next to the post number and get directed to the place to leave reputation points. You may have to spread it out some before leaving it for a certain person again if you've left it for that person recently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast