Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-season matters, and it's a long road ahead.

Didn't watch the game, but I knew the Rams would lose. We don't match up well with the Chargers period, whether it's pre-season or not. The only thing that really matters is what the team looked like in losing, and from the stat sheet I read it seemed to me that the Rams dominated the game. There is no way I get a 30 to 13 loss from the stats I read.

With the Rams winning almost every major offensive category, you've got to figure turnovers played a huge part, and apparently they did, along with a punt return. So based on that, I'm thinking that the game wasn't as one-sided as the score indicates. And for that reason, I'm not overly concerned about the loss, except for the fact that we can't beat SD no matter what time of year it is.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

We need to pass protect better for Bulger - he took some real shots.

You know the performance of the first team Defense has the coaches concerned. Wroten's play was in the 3rd quarter, and it wasn't against SD starters.

None of our starting LB's were impressive, and I was shocked by how much they looked like previous years where we couldn't stop the run.

It's one game, I'll give you that, but I guarantee the Coaches feel pressure to fix some things before the Season opener.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

It's nice to win in pre-season as it builds confidence. Aside from that, I'm not overly concerned about results at this time of year as long as any losses aren't train wrecks.

How we play is more important to me than whether or not we win. Primarily it's a time for evaluation and I think that it's a little early to be declaring open season on the coaching staff and front-office on the basis of two pre-season games. I prefer to do that on the basis of a couple of years abject failure, or at least after week 17 .

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Definitely want to admit some frustration in my initial post.

After what seemed like a long offseason, I was really anticipating this preseason to see where we have improved on defense. It appears that we are still getting pushed around quite a bit, and that kick return for a TD took the wind out of my sails. Plus the Chargers moved the ball at will against our backups, which says something about our depth.

Definitely the Seahawks did not look that good in their second game, but I was just trying to establish a common denominator since we both played the Chargers.

As far as the depth with releasing Kennedy, etc.., Just frustrating that the reason we might not be as good as we could be is because the DT's and LB's drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the last 6 years have just about all been busts and we're still paying for it every season, and looks like we will still feel it this year as well.

we'll have to just wait and see.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think the pre-season matters for the reason that you LEARN something. You learn about the players you have and their abilities under various circumstances. You learn about their determination. You learn what you can expect from them in terms of skills and abilities. Most of all you learn from your mistakes. We again failed to adequately cover KO's and punts, so I expect our Special Teams coach, Al Roberts will be a busy man through the rest of the seaon or until we demonstrate an ability to have the right players in our coverage units that tackle correctly.

On a positive note we saw some awesome hits from Chris Draft and Jon Alston that should tell us who we need to have on the field in short-yardage situations.

I hate to lose any game, but we need to take the lessons this game offered and make ourselves stronger as a result. Let's face it we will not go 16-0, so if we beat the teams we should beat and perform well in our division (no worse than 4-2), then we can legitimately contend for the Division Crown!

Go Rams!

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

ie........

The Rams lose the rest of the preseason......

Our LB's and DL's get pushed around all preseason.....

The Rams go into the season and we go on to win the championship........

Please explain how important and what the preseason means????

'98 Preseason all I could remember from that was Green got hurt. Could not tell you if the Rams had a winning preseason and how the D performed......

The preseason is vanilla as a fan I take little stock in it.... I enjoy watching the rookies and young players battle for a roster spot and hope they gain some playing experience just in case they should play during the season....

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Definitely want to admit some frustration in my initial post.

After what seemed like a long offseason, I was really anticipating this preseason to see where we have improved on defense. It appears that we are still getting pushed around quite a bit, and that kick return for a TD took the wind out of my sails. Plus the Chargers moved the ball at will against our backups, which says something about our depth.

Definitely the Seahawks did not look that good in their second game, but I was just trying to establish a common denominator since we both played the Chargers.

As far as the depth with releasing Kennedy, etc.., Just frustrating that the reason we might not be as good as we could be is because the DT's and LB's drafted in the 1st and 2nd rounds for the last 6 years have just about all been busts and we're still paying for it every season, and looks like we will still feel it this year as well.

we'll have to just wait and see.
    It's all right bro', I feel ya. We're all frustrated, and we all get our hopes up during the off season, and a lot of us want perfection out of the gate. But relax, and enjoy the season as it unfolds. It's just a game dude, it's just a game....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12