throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Pre-Training Camp Press Conference – Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur – July 27, 200

(From another Rams forum)

"Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur – July 27, 2009 et al"

(On if the Rams offense is a West Coast offense)

“The West Coast offense is a broad definition. The initial terminology can follow back to the originators, Bill Walsh. Really there’s a whole lot of different variations of it. When you start talking about the specifics of the play calls in terms of are they going to run it or pass it and percentage and utilization of the personnel. I like to think of it as it’s going to be the Rams offense.”

(On if the offense follows the same precise style as Walsh’s offense)

“No question and that’s really the foundation of the passing part of the offense. How you teach the quarterback his fundamentals to his decision-making to his accuracy and then of course the touch and all that. The accuracy is hugely important in terms of high percentage of completions. Then once you complete the football, an accurate receiver allows you to do something with it, which is run after catch. So that allows you to make a high percentage type throw with big play capabilities because they’re going to run with it after they catch it; that’s typical. In terms of the passing game, it all really goes through the eyes of the quarterback. It starts up front with protection of course, but what he does with the football is extremely important.”

(On what he has learned about QB Marc Bulger that he didn’t know before)

“We had him in the Pro Bowl for a year. The one thing about Marc is he’s very decisive, he knows what he’s looking at and he’s an extremely accurate quarterback. So those are all attributes that are very fundamental to being successful. I’m pleased with that and I think he’ll have a chance to be successful if he does those things.”

(On how Bulger fits in a ball distribution style of offense)

“I think he does it well because like I said, he knows what he’s looking at. In all the passes involved in progression, one, two, three, one, two, three, you know, backside, three-four and he’s good at seeing and reading defenders, seeing and anticipating open receivers, so I think that will lend itself to that. I like to see when the ball gets spread around because that means the quarterback’s normally doing the right thing. You expect the defense to do something - you call a play to attack it and if you get something different the quarterback has to see it and execute it.”

(On the wide receiving corps and if it’s necessary to have Pro Bowl type players to be successful in this style of offense)

“Well you want guys that can score touchdowns – that’s important. But I think the important thing for the players is to make the routine plays. So while they’re out there playing they need to make the routine plays, the quarterback needs to be able to make the easy throws, the receivers need to catch the football – that’s obviously one of the two most important things for receivers is catching that ball; drops are critical. We work hard on the receivers catching the ball and the quarterback throwing it to the right guy.”

(On if Bulger’s footwork is a concern)

“No, I think fundamentally Marc’s pretty firm. I think he has good fundamentals as a passer, throwing off his back foot – I don’t see it. There’s times when there’s guys in your face and you have to throw it off your back foot and there’s times when you have to lower the ball down and throw it around someone and I think that’s important and Marc has those abilities. Throwing off your back foot sometimes is an industry phrase for getting pressure and I don’t necessarily think that’s the case.”

(On if Bulger was throwing off his back foot because he was used to getting pressured)

“I didn’t see that to this point and don’t anticipate it’s going to show up.”

(On his confidence in the new offensive line)

“We’re going to see as we get going here because we finally get the pads on. You’re always hopeful in the spring when you’re playing without them, but I think they work well together. It’s very important that linemen, number one, they work together. And I think this group has at least displayed an ability to be a good solid unit. Now, when you put the pads on and we play, we’ll start to see where we are in that development process. But these are very talented guys that have displayed an ability to work well together and I think that’s what you’re looking for.”

(On T Alex Barron’s progression at left tackle)

“I think he’s done a good job. Alex’s done a nice job in the offseason. And he’s been a very durable guy, you know. He’s played a lot of games here as a tackle, his experience. He has excellent feet and I think those are things that will really help him on the left side.”

(On if the tight end is utilized a lot in a West Coast offense)

“Well the tight end is a critical piece of any passing game, but I think we have some guys here that can make plays. I’m looking for our tight end, whoever’s in there playing, obviously with Randy (McMichael) starting; I think Randy will do a good job for us. He’s going to catch balls. Some of our best games in Philly were when five, six, different receivers caught footballs. I think that’s a sign of being efficient on offense and the tight end is a big part of that, so we’re anticipating a good year from that group.”

(On if Barron will stay at left tackle or if there is a possibility of another player taking on that role)

“We’re going to play the best five. So Alex has obviously been playing there. As we go through training camp it will become more solid as to who is going to play where, but Alex will be in there to start on the left, but if he has to go to the right he obviously can do that.”

(On the ideal balance of running the ball and passing)

“Well it’s important to do what you have to do to win the game. I see us being a team that’s going to run the football. We’ll add the numbers up as we go here. Steven Jackson is such a magnificent player - it’s silly not to give him the football.”
    (On if he realized the size of Jackson before coming here)

“I didn’t, until I met him. I saw him when we played against him, walking by and I’m thinking, ‘my goodness.’ But then when you’re around him and you see him work and you get to really stand by him and talk to him he is a tremendous specimen.”

(On if he thinks they need a backup running back)

“Yeah, you need to have a backup running back that can stand up and play.”

(On if he thinks they have a backup running back)

“From what I’ve seen from Ken Darby he, right now, is that guy. He did an excellent job in the spring and he’s got experience playing in this league. I think he’ll be good for us.”

Ken Flajole Press Conference – July 28, 2009
    (On what he wants to see accomplished)

“The one thing we haven’t been able to address, since we haven’t put on pads yet, is becoming a physical defense. That’s something that we can establish once we have the ability to put the pads on. “

(On how to instill becoming a physical defense)

“Well, the head coach has a plan in mind as far as how we will practice. Live drills that we will have and we think our players will understand what we are looking for from that aspect.”

(On finding out how good the defense is)

“ As soon as we get into some live drills, to see if we can be stout at the point of attack in the run game, and have a little bit of a thumping attitude when we come and tackle people. Those are the things that will be found once we put the pads on. And obliviously the true test will be when we are able to play against other competition.”

(On if DE Leonard Little can be an every down player)

“Well right now I think he can be an every down guy, now we have some young guys behind him that maybe gives us the flexibility to rest him a little bit. But at his age I think he has a little bit of juice in the tank. I have certainly been impressed with his work in OTAs. But I am glad Leonard is on our team, he has given us some great veteran leadership, I think he has been a positive role model in the locker room and from what I have seen in practices, I think he can help us.”

(On how physical camp will be)

“Well, how Steve does things is going to be new to me. So I am learning as we go as well, but I think the tempo of what we expect will be set early.”

(On comfort level of the system that the players had before they left)

“I think we mad great progress, I thought that showed itself up the last couple of weeks of OTAs. We had other sessions where guys can get caught up mentally. The true test will be when the lights are cut on and you have to perform under pressure.”

(On what to expect from CB Tye Hill)

“Well, Tye really made some good progress in OTAs, he’s made great strides and started to get his hands on some footballs towards the end. Just like everything else, he is not a finished product but if he continues to improve like he did towards the end of OTAs, he will be a solid contributor for us.”

(On will Tye Hill be limited)

“Not at this point, I think he’s ready to go.”

(On competition at strong side linebacker)

“Again, when we put the pads on, we will find out who gives us what we need at that position. As in the spring, we mixed a lot of guys into that position. But I think it will all shake itself down when we get into the season.”

(On how to gauge development of players throughout the season)

“ Well, we will expect as a staff that we are going to be a better defensive football team in Week 10 than we are in Week 1. And guys will have a better understanding of what their role is on this football team.”

Special Teams Coordinator Tom McMahon – July 28, 2009

(On having a prior connection with Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo)

“No. I didn’t. I worked in Atlanta with (General Manager) Billy Devaney and I think that is how. A guy I worked with, named Jerry Rossberg, I was an assistant for Jerry for many years, and he was the Baltimore special teams coach. And now Jerry is in Baltimore with Coach Harbaugh. That is how Jerry and Spagnuolo met. Jerry and Harbaugh are close and I think they met while they were in special teams together and things like that.”

(On having a great interview with Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo)

“Oh I don’t know about that, I think that sometimes you get those opportunities and you just roll with them. And I don’t have an answer for you why I got this opportunity, but I know that I am going to do everything I can to make sure that our special teams are prepared and ready to go and make Coach (Steve Spagnuolo) know that he made the right decision.”

(On the loud stereotype of special team coaches)

“I think the players hope that it doesn’t happen, but I think that once we all hit the field, the emotion gets out there. Getting guys to do things the right way and the way that we want them. I am pretty emotional. I think that if you ask the players I do have a little bit of a high emotion. And in this environment I think you need to be relaxed. I am one of those guys who really believes in focusing on the task and not the situation that you are put in. I can stay low when I need to stay low and come high when I need to come high.”

(On his overall philosophy for the special teams)

“The overall philosophy for both the return units and coverage units is the same for me. We need to stop the vertical penetration of their return units. So somebody has to go stop the ball. A lot of times you get too caught up being this guy’s job supposed to do this and he is supposed to be in this position. At the end of the day, someone has to stop him first. And if you give him too many jobs and confuse him, it’s ‘keep it simple stupid.’ Somebody has to stop him. Stop the vertical penetration. Force them to go east and west and let the pursuit, like on defense, create an edge. Sometimes you want to spill it outside and use the sideline as your best friend. But at the end of the day, we want them going lateral if were covering kicks, whether it be through punt and kick cover, versus if were returning the ball we want to be a vertical return team. We want to make vertical cuts. We don’t want returners who are going to make lateral cuts and get wide, wide across the field and try to make the touchdown every time. We need a 10-yard punt return and a 30-yard kick return. We need to hold them to 20 yards on their kick returns and hold them to 5 for their punt returns. You know we had a lot of success using that philosophy a year ago in Atlanta. Set an NFL record for return yards for a season. Forty-nine yards for the whole season allowed. It is the philosophy of stop and return. At the end of the day, it is keep it simple. Stop their vertical penetration, and create our own vertical penetration for our offense. If we can get our first down between the two, you know return to the 30-yard line and hold them on their kick returns to the 20 and vice versa with the punt return game. We have to establish field position. Give your offense a chance and give your defense a chance.”

(On special teams)

“It is managing the personnel. Putting guys in the right spots. Some people think a WR can only play on the outside on a kick cover unit, but if he’s got a lot of courage and he’s a great penetrator, sometimes you can put those guys inside. Now you’re forcing them to double team him which frees up someone else cause you’ve only got 11 to block and one of them has to carry the ball so its no different than attacking an offense. Don’t stereotype your personnel. There might be a real, real great receiver that is a great penetrator and may be the toughest guy on the team. Put him where he will succeed and vice versa Defensive Back. Line Backer. Finding the right spot where they can fit the different schemes that are coming at them. That is going to change each week.”

(On starters participating on the coverage and return units)

“I cannot tell you yes, but going through the OTAs and going into fall camp, all of our starters are involved in one special team unit at least, not just field or block, They are involved in punt or in the punt return unit. They have accepted it and taken it and run with it. The veterans have done a great job with bringing along the young guys. And their roles are going to expand. Those veterans are going to expand from OTAs. But I cannot predict how many in the future will be out there.”

(On if Spagnuolo has final say)

“Coach has final say. No question.”

(On P Donnie Jones and K Josh Brown)

“Just working with those in the offseason, I haven’t been through a season with them, you always know about these guys coming in and it was a pleasant surprise to come in. Not just their production that you see as a reporter or a fan, but how hard they work and what they are trying to improve. (P) Donnie (Jones) wants to become a complete punter and he has worked his tail off this offseason as has (K) Josh (Brown), and they want to become better. They are not satisfied with everyone telling them they have reached their plateau. They want to reach heights. They want to be in this league for 15 years. They know how to take care of their bodies they know how to push their bodies. They are true pros. And Chris (Massey) our long snapper, is to me, is kind of the bell cow of that whole unit. He holds those guys together. He is tough. That is the best thing I like about him is his mental toughness and he brings a work ethic to practice every day. You can ask him to play fullback you can ask him to do anything you want him to do, he’ll go right out and play it. He never gives you any looks. Those three guys, I love their professionalism. Now they need to go out and perform.”

(On Donnie Jones being the main punter)

“Yes sir.”

(On who will handle the punt returns and kickoff returns)

“It is still up for grabs. I would live to sit here and tell you who those guys are and it’s not crystal clear yet. (WR) Derek (Stanley) is still coming back from his ACL injury and he was limited in OTAs. Some of these young guys came out and did a great job. Through the draft, (WR) Donny Avery had a good OTA, (RB Kenneth) Darby returned for him last year. So there are lots of guys who have the return ability. Finding that guy will come through the creases. The fans will know coming out of that fourth game who our returners will be. And up until that point, we have to find who that is. We have nobody who has proven, and you don’t have that, you can’t crown a guy with that status. But I am very happy with all the players who are here in terms of their work ethic not only in the coverage units and teams but with our special units you know the return has worked hard, the punter, snapper. Now it is just a matter of gelling and going out and producing.”

(On OTAs in spring helping with punt return decisions)

“I don’t really feel comfortable discussing that right now for obvious reasons. We have opponents out there. In the punt return position, there are three or four guys that are fighting for the job. At the kick return position there are still minimum of four. But that is a good thing to me. It is nice to have some guys that you feel could possibly step through. Now they have to do it in the games.”

(On coaches he has looked up to)

“Jerry Rossberg who is with Baltimore now who I worked with in Atlanta and Keith Armstong who I worked with last year. They have been great mentors to me. Support system is there for me. I just got off the phone with Keith. We talk about different things. Its one of those where you need those in this business. I met Coach Harbaugh through Jerry and he’s a class act, and John L. Smith who I worked for as a graduate assistant.”

(On the struggle with the previous Rams special team)

“Don’t take this the wrong way but I focus more on the task than the situation. I don’t ever look at yesterday. To me, today is today, tomorrow is tomorrow. If you wanted to change yesterday you should have done it then. I don’t look back. What’s in this building I like and the guys are going to work hard and play hard.”

Pre-Training Camp Press Conference- Offensive Line Coach Steve Loney- July 28, 2009

(On what Alex Barron and Jason Smith bring to both sides of the offensive line)

“Well when you look at Alex Barron, you see an athletic offensive lineman. And he’s a guy that can take a speed rush and be able to hammer, and that is probably his strength. His athleticism and his durability. If you look at the number of snaps that he has had since he has been here in St. Louis, you can always count on him for practice and games. Now Jason Smith is a guy that will bring a lot of youthful enthusiasm and a spark to the offensive line. He’s been an excellent leader in the past. He’s a physical player, but the learning curve is going to speed up for him right now, so he is going to have to take his attributes and keep applying those to the things he is learning to make himself a real positive impact on this team.”

(On if it is a competition between Alex Barron and Jason Smith to play left tackle)

“I think when it comes to offensive line you have to have a lot of versatility. Guys are going to have to be ready right and left, because every game you have to go in with five offensive linemen. I think you approach it with these players that they go in each day to improve themselves and to dominate that position.”

(On the difference in Jacob Bell from last year to this year)

“He’s put some size on, and he’s got to put the pads on and see what kind of effect that has had. Jacob Bell has always been very athletic and he has not lost any of that. He can move. And since it’s our second year together, even though it’s a new system, our calls and his familiarity with that part of it and the guys around him will make him a better player.”

(On if Jason Brown will make Jacob Bell a better player)

“I think we feed off each other. We are five guys as a unit, and those five guys are only as strong as the weakest link. That really applies to the offensive line. As we continue to strengthen all the links in that chain, as a group, we are going to continue to make each other better.”

(On the difference in Richie Incognito)

“I have been very pleased with him through the spring and summer OTAs. Some of the challenges he’s had in the past he has worked through. He’s very focused and he had an excellent spring, so I have great hope for him this fall.

(On the progressive development of Mark Setterstrom)

“Mark is a good player in this league but has not stayed healthy. All those pluses you’ve heard about in the past still apply; he just has to stay healthy. But he is full go and I can’t wait to see him out there. He’s a smart kid and he has a lot of versatility.”

(On the competition between Mark Setterstrom, John Greco, and Jacob Bell)

“They have to feel confident that the five best offensive linemen are the people we are going to play with. With that comes inherent competition, because you want to be one of the best five, and if you’re not, you want to be the swing guy that can play right or left, center or guard. If you go in to game day with only seven offensive lineman, you have to consider all 7 as starters.”

(On how he is going to begin training Jason Smith)

“I think we have to start him off right from the get go. That is going to help him, when things go live and it is a game situation.”

(On how he feels going in to training camp)

“ I felt good through OTAs but with linemen, you never know until they get the pads on.”

(On how much of a leadership role Jason Smith has taken)

“Well I think he came into it smart. I don’t think any veteran wants someone to come in and try to take the reigns when they haven’t even played a down yet. So he’s been smart about that. He’s done all the rookie things, and I think he looks to build a relationship with guys. I think that’s helped, and as we do get these pads on, he will continue to increase his input. But right now he has taken the right attitude and be most concerned with his performance and his improvement.”

(On getting Richie Incognito to play with an edge)

“A lot of talks. But all of that has to come from within. He has had a tremendous spring. His approach to things has been tremendous until this point in time, and he has seen the benefit of that. He practices well, but you hear all the time about all the past stuff. I have seen a maturing of him through the spring, and it leaves me very optimistic about this fall.”

(On working on Alex Barron’s false starts)

“Two years ago I think he led the league. You don’t want any false starts, but he’s had vast improvement. But he’s always going to have to battle that, and the same is true with Richie. Those guys have to understand that they have made their bed and just have to fight through it. They can’t do anything about it now except work hard and keep battling, and try to not jump offside or get a personal foul so that the fan base will buy into what they are doing.”

(On how Alex Barron is transitioning to left tackle)

“He is doing well, but we have to continually with every player work on technique. There are things he needs continued repetition of, and he will get that through camp.”

(On starting Jason Smith on the right side instead of the left)

“I’m all for that, and I think Jonathan Ogden didn’t start on the left. There is going to be a learning curve, so you try and put them in a position where they can best make that adjustment.”

(On the linemen coming together and being a physical unit)

“Steven Jackson being our running back, that will serve our offensive linemen well. If you ask any offensive linemen if they want to pass or run, 100% of the time they will say run block because they get to attack. Pass blocking is the hardest thing you can ask someone to do. You want them to be tough and physical while backing up. So as we work on our run game that will help us be physical, and you will see improvement in that group.”

(On the emergence of a new leader this offseason)

“Jason Brown has come in and he’s a lot like Orlando Pace. He’s not a boisterous guy but he has no problem speaking up in front of the entire offense or the offensive line. And its nice when you get a new guy because he doesn’t come in with a preconceived idea of who is the leader. I think you’ll see our young kid (Jason Smith) improve and you’ll see more of that, but right now, he needs to just worry about himself.”

Running Backs Coach Sylvester Croom Press Conference – July 28, 2009

(On relationship with Coach Spagnuolo)

“Well of course I have known of him, but you know a lot of connections once you have been in the west coast system. So that got me a chance to get an interview and plus I have done work with Billy Devaney once before. But the main connection was Brad Childress connection with Coach Spagnuolo.”

(On were did he work with Devaney)

“At San Diego.”

(On importance of working again after retiring from Mississippi State)

“I hope the first season that I am out will be my last one as a coach. I don’t want to take a season off, when I do that it will be my last one.”

(On being a running backs coach)

“Its coaching and I enjoy teaching. The fact of staying in a system that I believe in was totally a key factor.”

(On impression of Steven Jackson)

“I am very excited about the way he has approached the offseason. He has made himself available, and that has been very important. We took a lot of time this offseason in really teaching the details in the passing game, and by him making himself available was the first step in trying to get things accomplished. As far as his physical abilities, he is a unique talent. His running skills are obvious, he has excellent hands, and his size is just phenomenal to be able to potentially be an effective receiver out of the backfield at that size. That’s what’s impressed me more than anything else. We gradually work with him some, lining him up in slots and on the outside. And he studies extremely well particular for a man of his size.”

(On Steven Jackson’s personality)

“I am so excited about his attitude towards the game; his work ethic has been tremendous. He is an intense competitor. And he is well respected and well liked by his teammates.”

(On Steven Jackson’s uniqueness)

“I think it’s the combination of all the factors with Steve; the size, the power, the speed, his hands, and his game intelligence has really impressed me. We have changed some of the protections, and he has really picked it up well. He really studies the game, whenever he is not in there running a play he’s right there focusing in on the play. One of the things that we have talked about, is that in order for him to move to the next level, he has to understand blocking schemes. If he can anticipate the blocks, he can get to the hole as soon as it opens.”

(On thought process of playing for the University of Alabama)

“When I was growing up, I grew up in a totally segregated society. But I was always going to go to Alabama even when my dad played.”

(On being first African-American head coach in the SEC)

“You know it’s just worked out in my career where I have had the opportunity to be the first African American in a lot of situations. But it was never anything that was planned; it’s just the way this life has run for me and the opportunities I have been blessed with. I do take some pride in it.”

(On African-American coaches in the NFL)

“The big thing is that opportunities are available, and qualified people are getting a chance to live out a dream.”

(On wanting to be a head coach again)

“If the opportunity presents itself, yeah I would like to do it again. As a coach, you still got that competitive nature.”

Wide Receivers Coach Charlie Baggett – July 28, 2009

(On WR Ronald Curry)

“He has been around seven years so he’s got some battle scars on him and he will be able to teach the other guys how to be pros and what it takes, how to study, and all that so I think he is going to be a great addition.”

(On the team becoming professionals)

“I think that is one of the things I address. Especially over my coaching career, I have been fortunate enough to be around all pro guys every year. With this group, one of the things I stress is they have to learn to be pros because they are young. It’s a really enthusiastic and smart group, with (WR) Donny (Avery), (WR) Keenan (Burton), (WR) Laurent Robinson, and (WR) Tim Carter. I think these guys do want to apply themselves. I think they are trying harder.”

(On his philosophy to get the ball to many receivers)

“I don’t think you have to have one big star or two big stars. I think there are teams in this league that do very with receivers that are what we call ‘role players’ and I think it is up to the coaches to put them in the right situations depending on what their strengths are and what the offense plays are designed to do and get them in the right spot and a lot of teams win that way. You complement the run with the pass and I think that is the most important thing. It is not having four or five great receivers on one team, it is improving over the years in the NFL you can win without superstar receivers.”

(On the experience level of the Wide Receivers)

“I think any time you have got young guys in this league, I think it concerns you but I think it is like anything else. If you’ve got a superstar, when we had Randy moss, if he didn’t play in a game, the next guy had to stand up. I think at this level, there is not much difference between the top an the bottom of ability from team to team and there is not much difference in ability position to position in this league because if you’re in the NFL, you can play something. It’s just a matter of what knots you have and some of these young guys take it as a challenge when people say you’re not as good as him or you’re not as experienced as him. I think they step up and take it as a challenge. These young kids we’ve got, they have talent. We’ve got some talent. I think they are going to step up. I really feel good about that.”

(On the players stepping up)

“I think they understand that too. Someone just said, that when Isaac (Bruce) and Torry (Holt), you look at all the guys you have here. It’s like a luxury. When I was at Minnesota, I had Randy Moss and Chris Carter and Jake Reed, that’s a luxury. Not very many people in this league can get three or four quality receivers like that at one time so I think these guys realize what was before them and what is ahead of them and I really feel good about the fact that they are going to take the challenge.”

Defensive Backs and Cornerbacks Coach Clayton Lopez – July 28, 2009

(On Justin King)

“Justin King did not play a lot last year but this year he is coming back extremely hungry and we’ve liked what we have seen so far of him. It is another stage of development. And we look forward to see him.”

(On Eric Bassey)

“He is a guy that has been around. He does a fantastic job in terms of abilities and we look forward to seeing him out there.”

(On the height of the guys)

“They are all pretty good size kids: (CB) Quincy (Butler), (CB) Ron (Bartell), (CB) Bradley (Fletcher), are pretty tall guys.”

(On competing with the size of the players in the NFC West)

“Well I think to really make plays and play in our scheme is the most important for all our guys. So if we do that, the size and speed of the opponent, as long as we do what were sure we can do, I think it will not matter as much.”

(On the message he tells the players)

“The message is that we are a team.”

Defensive Backs and Safeties Coach Andre Curtis – July 28, 2009

(On safety James Butler)

“There are some fundamental things that you do in every program which James would be good to help facilitate but there are some things that we are learning from these players as we learn together. Of course Coach Flajole is from Carolina. So we have a nice mixture of carryover from all the different programs. Coach Lopez has been in Detroit, Coach Daly and Coach Ferraro had been in Minnesota. So we have a nice mix of things that we have kind of accumulated together and made our own language and terminology and everyone is learning together.”

(On what he can do in training camp to improve tackling)

“The best thing that we can do is actually tackle - put pads on, which we haven’t done. So some of the evaluation process may come to a head once the pads get on. You actually see what the guys can do. Its kind of what OTAs and mini-camps are. Knowing you’re assignments and knowing where you have to be. When you put the pads on you can actually see the guys finish.”

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Pre-Training Camp Press Conference – Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur – July 27,

Great read. One thing that caught my eye is that Hill doesn't seem to be in consideration for, never mind an incumbent, starter by either the DC or his position coach; " a solid contributor" and not even mentioned in the point about the height of the CBs.

RamsFan16 Guest

Re: Pre-Training Camp Press Conference – Offensive Coordinator Pat Shurmur – July 27,

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McMahon
    To me, today is today, tomorrow is tomorrow. If you wanted to change yesterday you should have done it then.
    I love this quote! I love the enthusiasm of this coaching staff. This alone will give us about 2 wins this season

RamOfDenmark Guest

(On what he can do in training camp to improve tackling)

“The best thing that we can do is actually tackle - put pads on, which we haven’t done. So some of the evaluation process may come to a head once the pads get on. You actually see what the guys can do. Its kind of what OTAs and mini-camps are. Knowing you’re assignments and knowing where you have to be. When you put the pads on you can actually see the guys finish.”
    I'm inclined to agree with this in our current situation. We are all going to hate it if some important player gets injured in camp and misses a lot of time in the regular season. But on the other hand - it seems logical that we're never going to be able to tackle better as a team if you don't risk it and put those pads on and go full speed. We've been so incredibly bad at tackling, really generally on the defense with very few exceptions, for a long time now - that I think we need to just say to hell with it and risk the injuries and have a lot more real full-speed practices in gear, let Bulger wear the red shirt and let everyone else hit each other early and often! We really need the quality and technique of tackling to improve on this team so we can shut down a play at first contact and not see people dragging defenders on their backs and bouncing around for extra yardage. We're already projected by most people to only win 3-5 games or whatever, so it's not like we have a lot to lose anyway. Of course once the season gets underway you tone it down a bit - but until then I want to see them in pads playing all out like in a real game more often than in previous years.