throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: A preemptive post before Sunday's tough opener...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A preemptive post before Sunday's tough opener...

I've already gone on record as predicting that the Rams will win this weekend by a score of 26-24.

That said, I recognize that this is a tough match-up for a young Rams team, and it might not go as I hope it will.

So... in the event that the Rams lose by 10 or more this weekend, let me say this to the inevitable swarm of naysayers who come here when things are bad:

Its just one game.

Given the Rams' roster, I think the most reasonable goals to set for this team are:

1. To compete for 60 minutes each week;
    2. To win a few games; and,
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, TO IMPROVE AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES.

Be honest...

If the Rams were to start the year 2-10, and then win their last 4 games, wouldn't that give you a great deal of encouragement for the future?

Wouldn't it be better than starting 4-0 and then losing 10 of the last 12 games?

This year is about building for the future. If, by the end of the season, we feel that we are set at... let's say... 16 of the 22 starting positions, wouldn't that give you great hope for 2013? Remember, we're going to have the opportunity to re-load next offseason with 2 first round picks, a second round pick, and significant cap room for free agents. You can fill a lot of holes with that kind of "capital."

I want to see Sam Bradford significantly reduce the number of people who doubt his ability.
    I want to see the Rams' rookie RBs make Steven Jackson's age less scary.
    I want to see Rok Watkins, Lance Kendricks, Brian Quick and Chris Givens become mainstays.
    I want to see Robert Quinn with 10+ sacks.
    I want to see Michael Brockers and Janoris Jenkins on the All-Rookie Team.

These are goals that can be reached over the course of the season.

So, yes... I'm hoping for a Rams' win this weekend.
    And, yes... I have this strange feeling they will pull out a win.

But if the Lions defeat the Rams, there are still 15 weeks to accomplish this team's goals.

Don't lose sight of that... no matter what happens on Sunday.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: A preemptive post before Sunday's tough opener...

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Given the Rams' roster, I think the most reasonable goals to set for this team are:

1. To compete for 60 minutes each week;
    2. To win a few games; and,
    3. MOST IMPORTANTLY, TO IMPROVE AS THE SEASON PROGRESSES.
    Great post. If I might be so bold as to add a #4.

4. Coaching Staff--Improved game planning, and in-game adjustments/decision-making.
    live4ramin and shower beers like this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

A preemptive post before Sunday's tough opener...

I would simply enjoy hope for the future. Seems, that as of late, we get flickers and then we are immediately plunged into the an even darker abyss. I allow the ups and downs of the Rams (my favorite team) to effectively transform me into a whiny gothic/emo catastrophe. Then I'm wishing I didn't even like football, but I am usually over it by Wednesday evening.

I just don't want to swear off my loyalty to this franchise before week 8. All this is inner dialogue, and if they (Rams) keep it up for a dozen or so more years…??? I may just have to start spending my Sunday's outside far away from tv's or radios.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

In regards to the playing for 60 minutes. I want to stop the trend of teh last few years of the defense keeping us in the game through the first half, even with a lead sometimes, but then because the offense can't sustain drives to keep the defense off the field, they get tired and surrender the lead in the end game.

Basically, I want to see our second half points be higher than our first half points. That will show me some progress.
    I believe!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

As long as I see a competitive team, no season or long-term injuries, and fundamentally sound football. The scoreboard won't really be much of a concern to me.
    r8rh8rmike and macrammer like this.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

No.1 on your list AV is the catalyst to everything this year in my opinion. Sam Bradford has looked improved in the preseason, both in his pocket presence, and his accuracy. However, I will reserve any real judgement until the real bullets start fly this weekend. Within reason, I will not be giving Sam Bradford a pass this season, due to lack of talent at receiver, or O-Line woes. Show me you can adapt to adversity, instead of folding like last year. A KEY for all top QB's. In the fourth quarter and in critical situations. Now is the time to lead the team down the field, on some game winning drives. IF Bradford can keep up his end of the bargain, then the rest will take care of itself. This team maybe young, but atleast now they are more TALENTED, BIGGER, TOUGHER, and BETTER COACHED. It's going to be a great ROLLERCOASTER ride this year.
    GO RAMS
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -09-08-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: wording
    macrammer likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

It all starts with the OLine. They don't need to become a top 10 line, but if they can just be solid all season long, I think the Rams will do much better.
    This space for rent...

moravcik69 is offline Registered User

I agree this is a great post and all these goals are attainable as the Rams move back to gaining a level of respect. I think the improved coaching is a given. Results will follow.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Well, to me, these seem like reasonable expectations for Rams fans. As far as the team itself goes I think they should and probably do have loftier goals. I think the most important thing the team needs to do is "learn how to win".

Frankly, as a veteran Rams fan, I'm not prepared to settle for any expectations less than the playoffs at this point. If, at the end of the season, the Rams do not make the playoffs, I'll only consider it a successful season if they have shown, without a doubt, that they have learned how to win games. None of the other stuff really matters if they can't take the field with confidence in their ability and knowledge of how to win.

live4ramin likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Wouldn't it be better than starting 4-0 and then losing 10 of the last 12 games?
    I see this as a big indicator of the direction of the team. They need to finish the year strong and that means winning games down the stretch.

I think the most important thing the team needs to do is "learn how to win".
    Yeah I feel the same, they are very young and will no doubt make mistakes along the way. The need to carve out an identity, right now they are know for a team that is just not good. I would like to see them become known as what Fisher has done in the past. Physical, hard nosed, hard running team. One that when the game is over the other team knows it's been in a real game.

My exceptions are not as high as Ferter but I do expect them to win games. I'm not going to be critical of how they win some of these games. Some will be ugly I'm sure but that's OK just find a way to put up some W's.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    As long as I see a competitive team, no season or long-term injuries, and fundamentally sound football. The scoreboard won't really be much of a concern to me.
    My thoughts exactly. Like everyone else, I want a win, but if the team plays sound football and fights to the final whistle, a loss will not send me off the deep end.

BTW, great post Av.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Actually what the Rams have to do this year, is Try and win a game--sounds rather stupid a statement to make, considering no one tries to loose a game. But consider:

How much different has the rams offensive schemes changed from the fist half to the second half during the last 4 seasons?

Everyone knows the Rams are a young unfinished product yet; still the greatest trap has been the Rams on offense are too predictable. Stop S. Jackson first priority, cover the Rams WRs just long enough for the Rams O-line to collapse and put Bradford into the dirt--thats not much of a strategy but it has worked against the Rams all of last season and looks to be a good one this season.

Have fun--oddly few teams consider that this is a game just as much as it is a profession. As mentioned the Rams are not a finished product--so why not a surprise openning on-side kickoff...why not a few fake punts...or a few reverse on offense...etc On Defenses, if the Rams have the opponent pinned behind their 25yard line and its 3 and 5+yards to go, run a "jail-house Blitz".

The Rams are not expected to win a lot of games--understood. Yet try and win a few more then expected--be unpredictable--and have fun and give us the fans who really foot the bills something to cheer about and enjoy ourselves

bradwill is offline Registered User

Rams have gone from the "oldest" team in the NFL last year to now the youngest team this year. don't expect miracles when you have this kind of radical rebuilding that was necessary unfortunately yet again.

That said above, I'm very enthused over this season and enduring the growing pains because it's:
    A) Rams' football for my 41st season!
    B) NFL football!
    C) No more Devaney/Spags
    D) Hope springs eternal every year and I'm optimistic that we won't see the same garbage as last year and will be moving forward instead, even if that doesn't mean SB

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I will continue to dissect each game individually. Week two or the rest of the season will mean nothing to me, until we get to it..

If the Rams go out and get obliterated and play awful unprepared, an uninspiring football, I will point that out accordingly.

If they play well and still lose, I will point that out accordingly.

If they play awful but still manage to win, I will greet it with guarded optimism.

And if they play well and win I will be ecstatic, though it may not make me proclaim we're on a Superbowl run. I am still realistic.

But the bottom line is, I will treat each game as an individual game and comment on it as I see it, regardless of what week it is, or how many games we have left.

Some may view that as a negative approach, but then, you can't please everyone, nor will I try to.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -09-09-2012 at 01:19 AM.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Genuine improvement . . . . Just genuine improvement win or lose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast