RuffRams is offline Registered User

Preseason Expectations vs. Real Expectations

I see a lot of people bringing up preseason expectations. “We thought we would win 5 Games, and have already won 3 in the first 7. We are doing better than preseason expectations. Be Happy!” Though I agree to a CERTAIN extent, I feel like expectations evolve throughout the season.

Nobody predicted the ***** to start of 1-5 or 1-6 or whatever they are. Both the Cardinals and Seahawks are two teams that not only can we beat; we can probably handle them on any given Sunday. So, if you are a Rams fan and a NFC West championship is not a realistic expectation for you, then I think it is pure ignorance. I just joined this forum, because of a friend’s referral. But I am only bringing this point up, because a lot of you seem to not have that expectation as I read through some posts. And my question is why not?

Don’t get me wrong, I also think there are many people here that have overreacted to the loss yesterday. I feel however, we can beat Carolina, and go 4-4 in to the bye week. If we do this, we can be sitting nice going into the bye week. Arizona plays @TB and @MIN next 2 weeks. Seattle plays @Oak and vs. NYG next 2 weeks. So “realistically expectation wise,” I think we can be sitting tied for 2nd 1 GB or sole possession of 2nd and 1 GB.

I just kind of felt the need to post this to try to get an explanation why people are still holding on to preseason expectations. Games do not really start mattering till middle of November, and the way the division is looking: I feel like winning the NFC West absolutely has to be the expectation for us. I take a half bottle full method when it comes to those Tampa Bay, Arizona, and Oakland games. This team is maturing right before our eyes (even though they did not show it in the second half yesterday). As long as they pull out wins in these types of games in November and December, we should and will compete to win the division. And that is what the expectation should be. So I guess what I am trying to say is, yes you have to be disappointed in the loss yesterday, but at the same time don’t overreact. And set the expectation bar to be NFC west championship, not 5-11 or 6-10

Let us all raise our water cups or sodas (it is a Monday afternoon and I am sure you guys are at work like me) to going into the bye week 4-4 and hopefully being 1GB when we come back. By the way how awesome is it that we have a bye week exactly halfway through the season. This team needs to mature after the first half so far and I think it is the perfect time for a bye week after the Carolina game. A lot of road games after, but I feel like that might be an advantage that a young team like us had all our home games in the first half. (I mean we still have 3 home games left in the second half!)……GO RAMS! And I look forward to posting at this forum!

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Re: Preseason Expectations vs. Real Expectations

I couldn't have said it better myself. While this is a young team that needs to mature, the coaches expect them to win and make a push for the NFC west, and I'm sure they expect the same from themselves. So why can't we have those expectations?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

With where we are in the rebuilding process and where the league is in talent I think expectations, when it comes to wins and losses, have become irrelevant for now.

I will concede there is not a game on our schedule that we can't win if you will concede there is not a game on our schedule that we can't lose.

I expected we would beat Detroit and I expected we would lose to the Chargers.

There are way too many factors in a ball game to just look at it on paper and accurately predict who will win anymore. Just this week Raiders blew out Denver, Bills barely lost the Ravens, Panthers beat the *****, etc...

I guess an accurate statement from me would be...

I don't expect us to win the NFC west but I won't be surprised if we do. If that makes any sense.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    With where we are in the rebuilding process and where the league is in talent I think expectations, when it comes to wins and losses, have become irrelevant for now.

I will concede there is not a game on our schedule that we can't win if you will concede there is not a game on our schedule that we can't lose.

I expected we would beat Detroit and I expected we would lose to the Chargers.

There are way too many factors in a ball game to just look at it on paper and accurately predict who will win anymore. Just this week Raiders blew out Denver, Bills barely lost the Ravens, Panthers beat the *****, etc...

I guess an accurate statement from me would be...

I don't expect us to win the NFC west but I won't be surprised if we do. If that makes any sense.
    Understandable, but I just feel like we should not keep living in preseason expectations

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

expectations are always tempered a little given the lack of a complete unit (outside of maybe special teams) and the youth on this squad. we're only a player or two away from being an elite defense in my opinion, and with another quality addition to the o-line and a great receiver i think our offense will be potent as well. as long as we fire our offensive coordinator

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

I don't rule out winning the division, but I don't predict it at this point in time. The team is improving and I am happy about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

The expectation I have for this team is improvement, and on both sides of the ball, they've shown me that. Despite our offense doing horrid in the second half, I'll take this over last year's. Our defense significantly improved and Spags brings that ideal scheme to the light with a little dirt of missed INTs and overplayed position as the flaw of it. Aside from the Detroit game, our losses tend to be 1-score deficits.

There's only more room for improvement and overall, it feels great to watch Rams football without the apathetic sighs I went through in '07-'09.