RamWraith is offline Registered User

Pressure mounting, Linehan lays into winless Rams

Oct. 18, 2007
    CBSSports.com wire reports

ST. LOUIS -- An avalanche of little things have added up to the big hole the winless St. Louis Rams are in. That was the message players got from an agitated coach Scott Linehan at the end of practice on Thursday.

The Rams were supposed to be a contender in the NFC West in Linehan's second season after going 8-8 last year, but have been dragged down by injuries and crucial breakdowns. They're tied for the franchise's worst start, and Linehan allowed the frustration to show while stalking around during the post-practice huddle.

"He was just doing what a coach does," wide receiver Isaac Bruce said. "Sometimes you have to reprimand. Guys have to be held accountable and we need to be self-motivators."

The rant, inaudible to media perhaps 50 yards away, came a day after several players were buoyed by the return of stars Marc Bulger, Steven Jackson and Bruce to practice. Bulger will start on Sunday at Seattle after missing two games with two broken ribs, and Bruce is back after missing two games with a hamstring injury.

Jackson will likely need another week for a partially torn groin.

The Rams got another player back on Thursday, with center Brett Romberg determined to shake off a sprained ankle with an attitude Linehan could appreciate.

"Even the day I did it, I said there's no way I'm going to be missing a game," Romberg said. "I don't care how bad it is, I've got to find a way.

"I've got a lot of guys sweating for me and bleeding for me and the least I can do is give them everything I've got."

Linehan wouldn't discuss what was said after practice, saying "It was between the team and me." He did, however, belittle players feeling positive vibes from the previous day, noting that it's a bottom-line business.

"I can tell you it ain't good to lose and nobody feels good about it," Linehan said. "Team spirits will be much better once we start winning."

The Rams could easily be 2-4 and in contention in a mediocre NFC West, or even 3-3 and tied for the lead. They were short-circuited in the opener by Jackson's uncharacteristic two lost fumbles, Dante Hall's muffed punt return was a crucial mistake in Week 2 against the *****, and Rod Hood's 68-yard interception return was the go-ahead score two weeks ago in a 34-31 loss to the Cardinals.

Romberg said Linehan was going for a "micro" rather than "macro" managing approach, imploring players to search for any edge.

"When you're 0-6, there's always things that get highlighted," Romberg said. "We're looking for reasons to win and reasons to become successful, whether it be running to plays or finishing blocks or whatever.

"There's always something you can do, and you've got to find answers."
    Bruce isn't big on speeches, emphasizing that it's up to the players to end the losses.

"You don't get to this level and need someone to motivate you. You have to be self-motivating," Bruce said. "You have to go out and pick something in particular that you want to get better at, and you have to go do it.

"If you don't, you won't be here that long."

Notes

The Rams have signed WR Travis Taylor, a former No. 1 draft pick of the Ravens in 2000, to add depth at an injury-depleted position. Drew Bennett (hamstring) was "very limited" Thursday, according to Linehan, and Hall (ankle) has been ruled out. Taylor had no catches in five games with the Raiders this year and was released last Saturday. ... S Corey Chavous, out two games with a torn pectoral muscle, had a full practice and could return to the lineup. ... DE Leonard Little did not practice because of a sore big toe on his left foot, but is expected to play.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Pressure mounting, Linehan lays into winless Rams

Despite 0-6, the Rams still seem to be a team with few "PUBLIC" feuds in the media, unlike Atlanta players...so a measure of class. I am sure if Bulger, Holt or Bruce come out and Rip Linehan its game over for his reign

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

at least he is making heads roll

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Through all of the adversity looking to beat this team down, the players certainly seem to have a lot of fight left in them. Guys eager to get back on the field despite injury and talking about what they have to do to win is encouraging IMO. No way has anybody quit or given up. Talk is cheap though and you gotta get it done on the field.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Oct. 18, 2007
    CBSSports.com wire reports

ST. LOUIS -- An avalanche of little things have added up to the big hole the winless St. Louis Rams are in. That was the message players got from an agitated coach Scott Linehan at the end of practice on Thursday.

"He was just doing what a coach does," wide receiver Isaac Bruce said. "Sometimes you have to reprimand. Guys have to be held accountable and we need to be self-motivators."

"There's always something you can do, and you've got to find answers."
    Bruce isn't big on speeches, emphasizing that it's up to the players to end the losses.

"You don't get to this level and need someone to motivate you. You have to be self-motivating," Bruce said. "You have to go out and pick something in particular that you want to get better at, and you have to go do it.

"If you don't, you won't be here that long."
    Sorry Ike, I'm not buying it. Don't you watch Monday Night Football? How do you explain the lowly Buffalo Bills nearly beating the Dallas Cowboys? That Bills team was fired up and played their best game of the season even though they lost. Why is it that they don't play every game with that same intensity. They were on the big "National" stage, that's what motivated them. So even though the players in the NFL are the cream of the crop they still need a boost.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Sorry Ike, I'm not buying it. Don't you watch Monday Night Football? How do you explain the lowly Buffalo Bills nearly beating the Dallas Cowboys? That Bills team was fired up and played their best game of the season even though they lost. Why is it that they don't play every game with that same intensity. They were on the big "National" stage, that's what motivated them. So even though the players in the NFL are the cream of the crop they still need a boost.

I'm not buying that game as the Bills best game. They only scored a FG on offense, and that's their best game? I don't buy that. That game was more about how bad the Cowboys played and a somewhat about how the Bills D played. Excitement in the game doesn't necessarily translate into a teams best game.

Buy or sell.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

blood85 is offline Registered User

Linehan still needs to be fired.