psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Talking Pretty cool stat.From Chris Carter.

p wide receiver duos of today and all-time Story Tools: http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Story/print.gifPrint http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/Story/email.gifEmail XML http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/img/rss_mymsn.gif

Driving down the turnpike, the NFL talk show on satellite radio was on, and a question was posed to former receiving great Cris Carter.

Was it possible that Arizona's set of wideouts — Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin — would soon be the top wide receiver duo in the NFL?
    "No," answered Carter immediately, and then four more consecutive "no's" were heard. Carter's pick was the St. Louis tandem of Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. It got me thinking about the question.
    Here are my picks for the top wide receiver duos today — and all-time.
    2005 top receiving duos

1. Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, Rams
    Although Bruce has been slowed by a hyperextended big toe, he's one of the top receivers of all-time. No active receiver has as many as Bruce's 11,889 yards. His career average of more than 15 yards per reception tops notable receivers Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, and Jimmy Smith. And Torry Holt is one of the three top wide receivers in the game today (with Moss and T.O.). Holt's numbers match anyone's in the NFL. The Rams have problems, but wide receiver is not one of the problem areas.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5003846_36_1.jpgIsaac Bruce (left) and Torry Holt give the Rams the best WR duo in the game. (Elsa / Getty Images)
    2. Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, Colts
    There has never been a more prolific quarterback-wide receiver combination than Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison. They have hooked up for 85 touchdowns in 112 games. Manning has hit Wayne with 23 other scores. Reggie is a more inviting deep threat than Marvin. Last year, Wayne had more than 1,200 yards and 12 touchdowns last year. Those numbers are usually reserved for the "first" wideout on the team.
    3. Randy Moss and Jerry Porter, Raiders
    Jerry Porter has lined up alongside Moss, Jerry Rice, and Tim Brown. Teams still have to worry about defending Porter, who found the end zone nine times last year. Moss is one of history's all-time best. If you lined up anyone, say Mick Jagger, next to Randy, they would be one of the great wide receiver duos (although, as everyone knows, a Rolling Stone gathers no moss).
    4. Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
    Through five games, this duo was on pace to each catch 115 passes. Boldin will be playing his 32nd NFL game on Sunday, he has 193 receptions already. Fitzgerald, who learned the tricks of the trade from Cris Carter and Randy Moss (the Minnesota native was a bellboy for the Vikings), has 11 touchdowns in his first 21 NFL games. This duo is one to watch.
    5. Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
    In 2004, Houshmandzadeh and Johnson combined for 2,252 yards. They should do better this season. Chad Johnson is considered one of the five best wideouts in the game. Houshmandezadeh is an excellent second option for Carson Palmer.
    Best wide receiver duos, all-time

1. Cris Carter and Randy Moss, Vikings
    The 1998 Vikings won 15 of their 16 regular-season games because Carter (12 TD) and Moss (17 TD) were making plays each and every week. Not a bad combination for Dennis Green. They combined for 24 touchdowns in each of the next two seasons, as well.
    2. Mark Duper and Mark Clayton, Dolphins
    The Dolphins' Dan Marino set a record at the time, by connecting with Mark Clayton for 79 touchdowns. He also hit the other half of the "Marks Brothers" (Duper) 55 times. They had longevity (they played together eight seasons) and either one was capable of going long.
    3. Jerry Rice and John Taylor, *****
    Rice was playing at a higher level than anyone in the years that Taylor started at wide receiver. In 1989, Taylor caught 60 passes for an 18-yard average, and 10 touchdowns. In 1990, he caught seven more touchdowns. In 1991, he caught nine. His biggest touchdown came in Super Bowl XXIII, when Rice had 11 catches for 215 yards and a touchdown; but Taylor caught the game-winner with 34 seconds remaining.
    4. John Jefferson and Charlie Joiner, Chargers
    If you look at Charlie Joiner's numbers today, they don't look too impressive. But when he retired in 1986, his 750 catches were the most all-time. When he was traded to the Chargers in 1986, he became a superstar. Joiner was once described by Bill Walsh as "the most intelligent, the smartest, and the most calculating receiver the game has ever known." And he should know.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5003862_36_1.jpgTeaming Hall of Famer James Lofton with Andre Reed was a winning formula for the Bills. (Rick Stewart / Getty Images)
    5. James Lofton and Andre Reed, Bills
    Lofton joined the Bills in 1990, and was one of the premiere deep threats in the league. In 1991, at age 35, he became the oldest player to have 1,000 receiving yards in a season. If Lofton was Isaac Bruce, then Andre Reed was the Torry Holt of his time. Reed put up great numbers for a decade with the Bills. 6. John Stallworth and Lynn Swann, Steelers
    Swann and Stallworth operated in a run-orientated offense, so their numbers weren't great. They obviously made all the big catches in the Super Bowl victories. Swann had 364 yards in the four Super Bowls.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -10-19-2005 at 01:16 AM.

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Re: Pretty cool stat.From Chris Carter.

I think you gotta bump up Boldin and Fitz to #3 ahead of Moss and Porter.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Even CJ and Housh should be in front of Moss and Porter.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

It's good to see that someone remembers John Jefferson. He's one of my favorites from growing up.

The thing that I like about Bruce and Holt is that they are not physically superior to their opponents, like a Randy Moss or T.O. Instead, they run very precise routes and have great hands. Receiving is their craft. Don't know if you could say the same about some of the other "great" receivers in the league.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRam
    The thing that I like about Bruce and Holt is that they are not physically superior to their opponents, like a Randy Moss or T.O. Instead, they run very precise routes and have great hands. Receiving is their craft. Don't know if you could say the same about some of the other "great" receivers in the league.
    Well said, CarolinaRam. I don't think there is enough thought to the changing role of receiver in the modern era when people make their lists. I have always had a problem with people passing off Jerry Rice as "the best ever" for that very reason. His role in that offense was totally different than what Bruce does for the Rams, or what other great receivers in the past were doing, so how can you compare? Stats alone don't tell the story, nor do quotes from supposed "authorities" and "experts" -- it all just comes down to personal opinion.

This is not to take anything away from psycho9985's list -- it's a perfectly valid opinion based on personal observation -- but it always seems such lists need to have a boatload of disclaimers on them. For example, it seems psycho's would need to say "that I've personally seen", as that MUST be the only explanation to leave out a certain HOF Rams tandem from the 1950s?