View Poll Results: What is the PRIMARY reason for Tavon Austin's slow start?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Austin's own learning curve as a rookie WR

13 29.55%
  • Sam Bradford's failure to get him to ball in the right spots.

1 2.27%
  • Blockers failure to get in front of him on screen plays.

0 0%
  • Poorly designed plays by the OC.

30 68.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The primary reason for Tavon Austin's slow start is...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The primary reason for Tavon Austin's slow start is...

Okay... what's the PRIMARY reason?

Re: The primary reason for Tavon Austin's slow start is...

I think all four are probably part of the issue, but I'd say that the fourth (poorly designed plays) is the PRIMARY reason, followed by TA's learning curve, then blockers (which has not been discussed much, but I have noticed their failure to create effective screens) and Bradford being the least significant factor.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Poorly designed plays.

I honestly don't think Tavon and Cook are the type of players that mesh well with Schottys running philosophy. He needs to prove he's not a one dimensional OC and can get the ball to his playmakers in space.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Austin's own learning curve as a rookie WR. Is what I think it is. He has taken his eye off the ball looking down field too many times.

Scheme, QB play has nothing to do with his drops passes. He's dropped way to many easy catches. On the Rams website they have a wired featuring Pettis. During the Jags game Pettis in on the bench trying to tell Tavon to relax. Let the game come you. You can't be thinking about dropping the ball, just go play. Pettis told him. This tells me he's pressing a bit, trying to to do to much. Givens said in an interview that Austins needs to humble himself because the NFL will. Keep working hard and it will come.

How well Austin can handle the noise from the media and the fans is going to be critical because it's already starting. I'm reading more and more whats wrong with Tavon. Whats the deal... just like this thread. The fact the Rams canceled two major interviews last week tells you a lot about whats happening.

I would think even a nice punt return that stands will do wonders for Austin.
    mde8352gorams and Trevor like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think all four are probably part of the issue, but I'd say that the fourth (poorly designed plays) is the PRIMARY reason, followed by TA's learning curve, then blockers (which has not been discussed much, but I have noticed their failure to create effective screens) and Bradford being the least significant factor.
    I agree that the primary reason is poorly designed plays, particularly the wide receiver screens you mentioned, which never seem to work. Other teams use them effectively, usually in bunch formations that put blockers in position to create space. The Rams version always seems to be run in conventional formations that don't give Austin much help, and the result is unblocked defenders that easily swarm to make a quick tackle.

I'd sure like to see Austin used more coming out of the backfield, and see if that opens things up for him.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

The drops by Austin are frustrating, but I'm sure he'll shake that off since that wasn't a big concern for him in college. It would help him, but I'm sure he's pressing a little. I went with OC scheme though. Especially after watching Keenan Allen last night. Sure, he came in with the "polished" title, but if you watch the highlights of him, they were able to frequently get him the ball in space with room to run.

When Austin gets the ball, it's with a defender in his face, or without blockers and he gets swarmed. Shotty needs to step up and get creative IMO

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Austin's own learning curve as a rookie WR. Is what I think it is. He has taken his eye off the ball looking down field too many times.

How well Austin can handle the noise from the media and the fans is going to be critical because it's already starting. I'm reading more and more whats wrong with Tavon. Whats the deal... just like this thread. The fact the Rams canceled two major interviews last week tells you a lot about whats happening. .
    Tavon is likely his own worst critic. I’m sure it is safe to conclude Tavon had very high aspirations entering the NFL. As you point out Rambos, his lack of stellar production (as a receiver) stems in part from mental lapses regarding a basic ground rule for all receivers: Look the ball in – then worry about everything else. If you don’t catch the ball, it doesn’t matter if you can run the forty in four seconds flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I would think even a nice punt return that stands will do wonders for Austin.
    I’m assuming you mean a return that counts – right? (Sorry, couldn’t help myself.) Possibly even better than a punt return, would be a 10 yard slant that turns into an 80 yard TD with opposing defenders lying all over the field having tried unsuccessfully to catch him. Oh, and the play would have to count as well. No yellow laundry on the field. I believe that moment will surely come, when is anyone’s guess.

Quickie has been slow to develop, but is finally showing signs he just might be the player we all hoped he could be. TA is still thinking too much – it’s part of the rookie equation/learning curve. That said, he appears to be a really bright kid with a great attitude and astonishing skills. I am not worried about Tavon.

Watching the Chargers vs the Colts last night, it was easy to see how difficult it is to defend a team with multiple weapons hitting on all cylinders. Philip Rivers, Ryan Matthews, Danny Woodhead, Antonio Gates, Keenan Allen just to name a few. I believe that our own group is getting closer to melding. The emergence of Zac Stacy should really help our team. Zac (IMO) has something that is more valuable than blinding speed. He has VISION. The uncanny ability to find the crease, sense where the hole is going to open. The fact that he is 215 – 220 lbs at 5’8” and built like a gorilla doesn’t hurt either. Frank Gore ran a 4.6 + forty, and so did Emmitt Smith. Vision: I don’t believe it can be coached – one has it, or one doesn’t. It’s still early yet and Zac is a rookie, but if the last two games are any indicator, Stacy could be the catalyst our offense has lacked recently.

My vote went to Tavon's own learning curve. That said, I believe he'll find his groove before the season ends.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -10-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Rambos and mde8352gorams like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I think its Tavon's learning curve as a rookie. You don't trade up 8 spots in the draft unless you know there are plays in your playbook for him, so that rules out that reason. Bradford has thrown to him a number of times so his drops are on him. I haven't watched the patterns he's run so I cannot comment on the blockers, but if he drops a ball all the blocking in the world won't do much.

Having said this, I do feel he will become more valuable as the season progresses. Some good punt returns w/o penalties will help no doubt.

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    . You don't trade up 8 spots in the draft unless you know there are plays in your playbook for him, so that rules out that reason.
    I don't know about that... I've seen plenty of guys try to pick up hot girls at bars despite the fact that they'd have no idea what to do with them if they succeeded.
    Nick, Tampa_Ram, RockinRam and 1 others like this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

It is tavon austin's learning curve...His drops are brutal at times and those "dinks" and "dunks" are what Bradford and Austin should be good at...

Of course we all would love more ingenuity in the play calls but its the playbook and the gameplan Tavon Austin will make those gamebreaking plays with more experience

Remember guys in our offense last year Chris Givens came on mid-season after having those games with 1 long reception to have a solid season ....Tavon's time will come in Shotty's offense it is his learning curve

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

His inability to make the first defender miss is his biggest problem right now. Learning curve I guess?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

His biggest problem is that defenders aren't playing soft coverage on every play like they did in the Big East and Big12? It's easy to catch the ball when you are wide open.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rookie on a slow learning curve -- non derogatory, just not explosive as expected time wise.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The other awesomely explosive receiver in the draft that was going to change the NFL, Cordarrelle Patterson has 8 receptions and 0 TDs.

Percy Harvin in his first 6 games = 20 catches for 2 TDs. 6 rushing attempts
    Tavon in his first 6 games = 24 catches for 2 TDs. 3 rushing attempts
    Last edited by RebelYell; -10-15-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think it's mostly Option #4 and #1.
    PARamfan and Tampa_Ram like this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast