Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Prisco: Faulk out of shape and unwanted?

From Pete Prisco
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/print/nfl/story/9474135/rss

Why is Marshall Faulk still with the Rams? That's an interesting question when you consider he hasn't taken part in the team's offseason program and word is he's once again a little pudgy. OK, chunky is more like it. Faulk was a pet of previous coach Mike Martz, which is why he was allowed to get away with not being in the best shape. The joke was that Faulk used to play golf to get into shape in the offseason. New coach Scott Linehan has made it clear that Steven Jackson will be the team's top running back. Word is some coaches and others in the organization wouldn't mind too much of Faulk simply decided to retire. But after all he has done for the organization, how can it simply just let him go? That could be a public relations disaster for the new staff. Still, don't expect Faulk to see much action. His time has come and gone in St. Louis. You would think he'd realize that and do something about it, especially from a conditioning standpoint. There are a lot of backs who take an active role in getting into shape when they get older. Faulk should be doing more of that and less golf if he's truly serious about playing. If the Rams had guts, they'd let him walk. Now that Martz is out the door, there's no reason not to do so.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Prisco: Faulk out of shape and unwanted?

I really wouldn't be that upset to see Faulk go, I know he is a Ram great but I had the same feelings about Bruce there past there Prime and Faulk is just dead money IMO. He is smart though.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Marshall Faulk a little "chunky" right now is at least as effective as many RBs in their best physical condition.

I think he knows what he's doing and I trust that he is mature and responsible enough to do what is best for the team, even in terms of being around rookies, as an example or a mentor.

:clanram:
    Perhaps there's more to this story that doesn't quite clic with its moral. But I don't believe he'd be "unwanted"!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Your comment that faulk is just dead money right now is beyond comprehension. Whether faulk is or is not in shape right now is not particularly relevant to me and i dont see why it would be to anyone else either. There is no evidence to suggest that faulk wont be ready to go when the season starts. He add considerable value to the team from both a leadership perspective and an experience perspective, in addition to still having plenty left to contribute on a back up and third down basis. I see no evidence to suggest he cant play and contribute. I would love to hear the reason that someone would conclude that he cant contribute at this point.

Past his prime now means that we dont want a guy on the team? Thats a reason to let bruce, faulk, etc just leave, simply because they are no longer as good as they were? Do you let a guy go and take the salary cap hit simply because his best days are behind him. exactly how does that make sense. Please respond with some actual rationale that bears on some form of a discussion rather than the usual sweeping generalization.

I dont recall ramsfan16 posting that he wouldnt mind seeing isaac bruce leave because his best days were behind him at the time he was cut. I also dont recall seeing him post at any point saying that faulk was nothing but "dead money". All of a sudden, based on one report by pete prisco, faulk is now just dead money.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, notwithstanding the fact that your opinion appears to change with the wind on some of these guys.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel

general counsel is offline Registered User

Another point. The reference to faulk as a pet of martz also makes no sense to me. How can faulk be a pet of martz when there is almost unanimous agreement that faulk was underutilized last year, to the point of getting minimal touches in nearly every game. Is that the way that you treat your pet? Do some of these writers just make stuff up as they go or do they actually watch players play and watch the games themselves?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

Let Faulk play as long as he wishes. He got us a ring!

maineram is offline Registered User

Isn't Faulk recovering from offseason knee surgery ??

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    Isn't Faulk recovering from offseason knee surgery ??

Maineram -
    I think you are right mate, he is......I want Faulk playing whatever.... hes still effective used in the right way which under Martz that didn't happen last year and hes a GREAT leader on and off the field....

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Prisco: Faulk out of shape and unwanted?

Great posts GC, exactly how I feel too. To kick out Faulk would be nothing short of madness! He is clearly the best backup RB we have, he averaged 4.5 YPC last year (had a lot of great catches and blocks too!) in an almost criminally underutilized role (not to mention behind a suspect OL, which was an issue for all our backs). When he's over the hill you see it on the field, you don't find out by reading an offseason post by Pete frickin' Prisco. I'm appalled that anyone would, apparently, change their mind by reading some unsubstantiated rumor - and conclude that Faulk is now nothing but dead money! Even if you don't think Faulk can contribute anything on the field (which is a ridiculous statement, nothing last year would indicate that) it is still a bad move to cut him, we would obviously lose a lot of leadership and experience, the backlash with the fans would be tremendous - and from a strictly salary cap viewpoint, as I understand it, we wouldn't gain much cap space at all - we would just end up with REAL dead money. And those are just the reasons to keep him around if you don't think he can play, but take a look at him playing last year, he clearly has gas left in the tank! Thank God some of you guys don't call the shots!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

There's always two sides of a story, and we're seeing just one, I really don't think Faulk would do something like that, its kind of childish, there's a reason for it, and he probably is still recovering, because he wasn't even at the other mini-camps from a month ago because of that injury...lets wait and see...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

dgr828 is offline Registered User

How About Trying Faulk As A Third Receiver? Punt Returner? Kick Off Returner? He's Still Too Valuable! Faulk Stays!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

One does have to wonder how much heart Faulk would have in it. However, Faulk is like Farve in STL. He can go when he wants to and suit up when he wants to. IMHO, the wrong person got the MVP in 2001. Both had great seasons, but Faulk was the engine of that offensive machine.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

There's always two sides of a story, and we're seeing just one
    Prisco's mind-fart of a "news" article doesn't even amount to one side. It's a random thought that managed to slip by his built-in edit function and found it's way to his keyboard.

You have to remember, in the world of NFL reporting, Prisco may be the absolute worst in the business. At least that's what history has shown me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

i'm out of shape now to , but i will be ready to go for the bash.faulk will be ready to go, not to be concerned.

Mercclass is offline Registered User

Pete Prisco is an idiot. Even when he praises the Rams I don't care. Marshall had knee surgery again and can't run. He'll be ready for the season as usual. And what Rams team officiail would let Pete know they weren't happy with Marshall Faulk? I think his source was the janitor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast