QUESTION:
With the health concerns, will Mike Martz will ever coach the Rams again?

ANSWER (Clark Judge):
"No, and I say that knowing how much Martz would like to return. But the guy's out a minimum of six weeks, with people close to the Rams telling me it could be anywhere from six months to a year. "You know what that tells me?" said one source. "He's not coming back." I agree. The Rams are sensitive to Martz's situation, making Joe Vitt the interim coach while Martz deals with a heart condition that has him hospitalized, but this is a club that declined Martz's request for a contract extension prior to the season. I know Mike and like him, but his tenure was marked by fissures within the organization -- with some parties all but declaring war on him. Removing him from the scene benefits all parties: Mike gains the needed rest -- both from the game and his critics -- and the Rams gain a welcome truce in the front office. "

(From Pete Prisco)
"That's a tough question. The No. 1 priority is for Martz to get healthy. Forget about football for now, he has far more pressing issues. Football is important, but it's not life or death. There is no set timetable for his return, but we've heard reports that he'd be out for six weeks. That's a long time to be away. Maybe it will give him a different perspective on coaching. Who knows? The thinking before this season was Martz could be in big trouble if the Rams didn't make the playoffs. That's probably still the case. Martz has clashed with members of the front office, which might make any decision come down to them or him. That's something that president John Shaw will decide. But if the Rams go 5-11, how can Martz return next season no matter what -- unless the illness gives him a pass? Maybe, just maybe, it's time for him to go somewhere else and start over. The guy is a brilliant offensive mind, and that's worth a lot on the open market. Bob Lamonte, the top agent for coaches, now represents Martz, and that will help him if he does lose his job. Martz will return to the Rams at some point this season if he's capable, but how long he continues will be an issue that will be decided in January."