Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Pro-Bowler Jackson: I'd play for a London NFL team

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Pro-Bowler Jackson: I'd play for a London NFL team

St Louis Rams star Steven Jackson has told Eurosport he would be willing to play for a London franchise in the NFL.

By Seán Fay | Eurosport – Wed, Jul 11, 2012 16:31 BST

Jackson has been in London promoting the Rams clash with the New England Patriots at Wembley on October 28th, continuing the annual tradition of NFL teams playing regular season games in London that was first started in 2007.

The Rams have signed up to play a home game in London for each of the next three seasons and such has been the success of the sold-out Wembley matches, that Patriots owner Robert Kraft – considered one of the most influential and respected men in the sport – recently came out in favour of London getting a permanent team.

Critics of the plan have said many potential players would be against having to move overseas to be play, but Jackson told Eurosport he would not be one of them.

"I would love to (play for a British team), but then I might be a little different to some other players because travelling is one of my hobbies and I would embrace the opportunity to live in another country," the three-time Pro-Bowler said.

"If London was awarded a franchise would there be a backlash from the players? I don’t know, but I think with most players, what we love to do more than anything else is just to have an opportunity to play the game."

Jackson admitted he was surprised at how knowledgeable British fans of the game were and said that such knowledge would increase even further the more the league visited the UK.

"I believe that London could have a franchise, the fanbase is growing all the time and it has helped that we have brought these games to London," he said.

"It has been an education process and now the people are very knowledgeable about the game. I think it would grow even more if the fans had a team to root for and hopefully, with the Rams coming over here for the next three years, some new British fans will start rooting for us.

"I never thought I’d be able to play football in a different country, it is exciting to represent the sport and the ‘religion’ that is football and to show the fans in person the passion and the hard work that we put into the game."

Whether the British fans will be watching a winning team in the Rams over the next three years is another question.

The Rams have struggled in recent years and won only one match last season, but the appointment of experienced head coach Jeff Fisher, who brought the Tennessee Titans to the Super Bowl back in 1999, has lifted expectations in St Louis.

"We have brought in Coach Fisher who is an established coach in the NFL and he has put together a fine staff and also brought in some excellent new players through free agency and drafting," said Jackson who has run for over 1,000 yards for seven successive seasons despite his team's woes.

"Each and every year there is a team that surprises in the NFL. The talent level across the different teams is very even so it comes down how well the teams gel and the leadership that is provided.

"When week one comes along every team will start with a 0-0 record and every team has an equal chance of getting to the Super Bowl."

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: Pro-Bowler Jackson: I'd play for a London NFL team

If or when a franchise moves there they will be the worst of all time for a long time imo becuase of the time difference. And sj is only saying this either becuase he only has a few years left in his career or its politically correct.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    If or when a franchise moves there they will be the worst of all time for a long time imo becuase of the time difference. And sj is only saying this either becuase he only has a few years left in his career or its politically correct.
    I don't think so, there is a time difference between the east and west coasts, why would London be any different?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Look at the stats of wins and losses of teams traveling between the coast and you will see.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Look at the stats of wins and losses of teams traveling between the coast and you will see.
    Last time I checked, the Patriots still thump the Raiders, and I'd take the 49'ers over the Bucs any day. If the franchise in London puts a good team on the field, they'll win games.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Putting the Rams in London would put my rooting interest to the ultimate test. Why would I want to leave the country to watch my favorite football team? This is America's game. Why would any player willingly want to go overseas 8 times a season (plus pre-season and whatever other promotional trips are required)? What is this infatuation with bringing the NFL overseas? You mean to tell me there isn't ENOUGH money being made here in the U.S?

Completely assinine.
    FestusRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Well not sure how that would be a disadvantage. If the time difference is such an advantage for the home team wouldn't it be fair to say the London team would have 8 games in which they would have a great advantage?

Not that I want the Rams to be that team I don't but for this discussion, lets say the Rams moved to London. Now they could build a facility in the states as well. When they are going to be on the road for two or three games, they could stay in the states and avoid the jet lag.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

If Europe wants the NFL, I propose they create a football league of their own.

The NFL should and will stay in America.

clive is offline Registered User

Football IS being played in europe at the moment. It took off in UK in 1983 when a new national TV stationm Channel 4, showed an NFL game every week on Sunday evening. It was hosted by Atlantas English Kicker, Mick Luckhurst. It showed the results of the previous weeks games and highlights of one game.

There was also the World League of American Football later NFL Europe, with teams located in various European cities but populated mostly with American players. Most notable of which was a certain Kurt Warner of the Amsterdam Crusaders.

As you all know, Kronke owns the majority share of Arsenal FC, a Premiere League soccer club in London. The Rams are playing one game in London for the next 3 years. This year it will be held at Wembley Stadium. Coincidence?

a picture of the Emirates Stadium, home of Arsenal FC
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Club_Level.jpg
    Last edited by clive; -07-13-2012 at 02:46 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

By and large, yes - but it is all about the money after all. If there is a way to create a financial windfall by placing a team in England, it will eventually happen. That said, what division would said team be placed in? Would they have to create a new one? NFC Far East? Perhaps teams in Ireland, Scotland, England and Germany. Perhaps there could be mandatory free beer for the Ireland vs Scotland games - that should help attendance initially. Just a thought ..

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I'm sure that they want an actual connection to the US NFL. Heck, I would want the best playing against the best and they could put it together any number of ways.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, but I can't imagine they would ever have enough teams to really form a separate European league up front.

One thing I will say is that I'm sure they would get insane support being the only actual NFL team in the area. How cool would that be?

Nevermind that, for my city's sake I really want them to stay

Can't say I'd stop being a Rams fan if they moved though.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

How about the Rams stay put and London can continue to watch over their T.V's?
    live4ramin and THOLTFAN81 like this.

THE DREAM TEAM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post

Agree totally.

Several years now I've wished there would be an NFL/Europe to see them compete vs. current NFL (weekly travel does pose a bit of an issue, hee,heee). The NFL seed is already planted in some of those countries and even NFL players have worked their professional trade there.

European countries have massive men and if they would start playing amateur american football, it could eventually become a true international / world wide sport. Rugby is played that way ... albeit in a micro scale, of course. Japan could come in as well. Australia. South Africa. Players would be traded internationally...

Easier said than done, sure. This would be a complex, huge undertaking. I'm just imagining the possibilities.

Last edited by RealRam; -07-13-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Content

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'd love for the whiners to move to London, but the Rams, not so much. I once flew from LAX to Heathrow, and I wasn't right for a week.
    MauiRam likes this.

clive is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    European countries have massive men and if they would start playing amateur american football
    see my previous post. Football IS played in europe.

it could eventually become a true international / world wide sport.
    It already is. I played in a game against the Australian national team in Australia. I find it ironic that I have played at international level when the cream of the NFL havn't

Rugby is played that way ... albeit in a micro scale, of course. Japan could come in as well. Australia. South Africa. Players would be traded internationally...
    Rugby is massive in those countries you mention. Rugby players think Football players are soft because they wear pads! I can name one England international Rugby player/ team Manager who has tried Football, Martin Johnson. He played TE/DE for Leicester Panthers. Curiously, New Orleans Sean Payton played for Leicester as QB!
    Last edited by clive; -07-14-2012 at 03:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast