Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    39thebeast's Avatar
    39thebeast is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    conecticut
    Posts
    2,740
    Rep Power
    38

    Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Team Pass Protection Rankings - 12-1
    As part of our look at a team's collective pass protection, Pro Football Focus' Neil Hornsby has broken down all 32 teams to create a Pass Protection ranking. In this 3rd installment, Hornsby looks at the teams ranked in the top 12.
    A quick reminder of how we reach our numbers:
    OUR FORMULA The factors we've used in determining our rankings are as follows:
    Total Pressure -- This is a measure of how much total pressure the team has given up. It's a combination of the sacks, hits and hurries, some of which we attributed to individual players and some that we didn't. On average, 21 percent of total pressure is either completely unblocked or we don't have enough information to pin it on a specific individual. Don't forget, our mantra is, "We grade what the player attempts to do." Hence a proportion of pressure is captured by us but not assigned to players. We've also used our standard methodology of weighting a hit and hurry as 0.75 of the value of a sack, as this is the average value that comes from our grading work. Therefore:
    SACKS + 0.75[HITS] + 0.75[HURRIES] = TOTAL PRESSURE
    Passing Plays-- It's obvious that a team that attempts more passes gives more opportunities for pressure, so this is a key number. This is not the number of passes thrown by the team but the number of times a QB dropped back to pass regardless of whether they were then sacked or ran with the ball.
    Average Blockers/play-- As we alluded to earlier, teams take a very varied stance when it comes to use of blockers over and above the offensive line. It seems reasonable that a team keeping more people in should have a better chance to avoid pressure, and so this number is factored in too.
    So the formula we use is as follows:
    [TOTAL PRESSURE/PASSING PLAYS]*AVERAGE BLOCKERS/PLAY=PASS PROTECTION RATING




    No. 12 -- St. Louis Rams The worst team in the league is the 12th-best at protecting its quarterbacks. Who would have thought it?
    In fact, they could have been even better. But if Peyton Manning is a master when it comes to stopping pressure from becoming sacks, the Rams quarterbacks were magicians at turning pressure into sacks: They ranked 31st in sack/pressure ratio (and were 32nd in 2008), making their general protection look a lot worse than it was. The bottom line here is they are generally good pass protectors -- especially in the middle -- who don't like to leave in too many people to help out. It's probably about time someone in the organization did the decent thing, called Alex Barron a bust, let him go, and replaced him with someone better. If this happened (and the Rams found a QB who could read defenses more quickly), they may find pass protection is at least one area they don't have to worry about in 2010.


    No. 3 -- N.Y. Jets Mark Sanchez showed in the playoffs what he can do as an NFL QB with a respectable last few outings, but before that he had some pretty torrid games. Trying to protect a rookie -- particularly one not playing that well -- is a real challenge and even though the Jets have one of the best O-lines around, they didn't leave it just to them. Using slightly more than average additional protection to supplement their superb tackles, the Jets gave Sanchez time despite his penchant for getting in trouble. No QB was personally responsible for as much pressure, as he held on to the ball too long and ran into defenders. It's likely that with Sanchez improving and the line only getting better we may expect a few more additional options for him to target in 2010.


    No. 2 New England Patriots Just a hair off the top spot, New England owes a lot more than the Colts to their line for this position. Even when left tackle Matt Light went down with injury, along comes the remarkable Sebastian Vollmer, who plays even better than the veteran. Adding a little further weight to the view he was rather lucky to make the Pro Bowl this year, Tom Brady was ranked mid-table (No. 14) in personal responsibility for pressure, a lot lower than you would expect from a player of his calibre. At the end of the day however, the line did its job well enough that the coaches left in blockers less than most other teams (sixth-least) and were able to maximize Brady's targets.


    No. 1 -- Indianapolis Colts It's traditional for quarterbacks to thank their offensive line for services rendered with ostentatious gifts. In this case, perhaps it would be more relevant for the guys in the trenches to club together and buy Manning something nice, because it's certain that when we move on to rankings for just the offensive line, the Colts won't figure anywhere near as highly. The reason for this is that when only considering the front five, the influence of Manning won't percolate so deeply into our numbers. His ability to get through his reads so quickly stops hurries becoming sacks and pressure logged against him personally is extremely rare.
    Manning has a real preference for getting his tight ends and half backs in pass routes, but problems at left tackle in particular mean that Addai and Donald Brown spend more time blocking than he'd like them to. That said, they contribute to this top-placed rank because when they do stay in to pass protect, they do a very good job of it.


  2. #2
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    I'm not surprised by this. I think we've done a very effective job of shoring up our offensive line, and we'll continue to gel and become better this year. We've got a good core with Smith and Brown, and good pieces filling out the line around them.

  3. #3
    Nick_Weasel's Avatar
    Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    737
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    I'm not surprised by this either. I think our O line played pretty well last year.

  4. #4
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Your formula doesn't take into account the whole "we run an offense where the QB must get rid of the ball in 2 seconds" thing. That says far more about the line than mere stats would.

  5. #5
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,616
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Peoria, this is why I feel Bradford will do well because this offense demands quick execution. Don't. Get. Sacked.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  6. #6
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Peoria, this is why I feel Bradford will do well because this offense demands quick execution. Don't. Get. Sacked.
    Not necessarily. Bradford's used to having 4 or 5 open wideouts and having time to go through progressions. He won't have either with us.

  7. #7
    KoaKoi is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    881
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    We're Saved!

    hmmm, i wonder which one of us should tell Linny we're sorry about all those O-line jokes...

  8. #8
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Peoria, this is why I feel Bradford will do well because this offense demands quick execution. Don't. Get. Sacked.
    Mike Martz offense didnt require quick decisions and precision accuracy? I guess once again Bulger is the reason for the line looking worse than it was. He went from being dead accurate and a good decision maker to deadly in-accurate and a poor decision maker? I highly doubt it. Like was already brought up, the 100 variations of the slant the Rams ran kept the qb's clean but resulted in very rare success from the passing game. Not to mention does not having an open reciever due to youth and in-experience factor into getting sacked because no one is open? I doubt Bradford fixes all these problems. I rarely found myself saying how good the o-line looked last year. I didnt think they were great, I felt they were average at best. It's funny they said the interior was solid when in fact the only solid interior lineman was Brown. I saw games where the pressure up the middle was guys who werent even blocked. Our offensive line is improving but bringing in a new qb is going to do nothing for their blocking and for the inexperienced wr's running the wrong routes or not being where they are supposed to be.

    Bulger is gone and thats fine but maybe they should send Avery and the lack luster wr core with him. The offense needs playemakers at the wr and te positions. Not to mention time to throw the ball on other patterns besides quick slants.
    Just Fix It

  9. #9
    theodus69's Avatar
    theodus69 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    so.cal.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,202
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Bradford will be a big upgrade, you will see.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

  10. #10
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002
    Rep Power
    58

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Bradford will be a big upgrade, you will see.
    I hope so, but he still isnt the answer to all the problems. We have a lot of issues much bigger than just throwing a qb in there.
    Just Fix It

  11. #11
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,075
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Just one more thing Bradford haters can't use anymore.

    "We shouldn't draft Bradford because our O-line suxz!"

  12. #12
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Mike Martz offense didnt require quick decisions and precision accuracy? I guess once again Bulger is the reason for the line looking worse than it was. He went from being dead accurate and a good decision maker to deadly in-accurate and a poor decision maker? I highly doubt it.
    Are you of the belief that Bulger didn't take a lot of sacks in the Martz offense?

    I've argued this point consistently the last 18 months. Bulger took a LOT of sacks in college, he's always taken them in St. Louis and he'll take them wherever else he goes. Some quarterbacks have an ability to avoid the rush and move within the pocket, some don't. Bulger has never had that ability.

    Barron was a strength on this offensive line last year once they got past the snapping of the ball. He's always been at least average after the snap.

  13. #13
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Just one more thing Bradford haters can't use anymore.

    "We shouldn't draft Bradford because our O-line suxz!"
    Not until we start regularly running plays designed to go past the first down marker or take more than 2 seconds to develop, whilst encountering the same "success" statistically.

    When it comes to the Rams' line, stats do not tell the whole story.

  14. #14
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

    Barron was a strength on this offensive line last year once they got past the snapping of the ball. He's always been at least average after the snap.
    Except for the odd drive killing-play he took off here or there. Also, do his ceremonial end of game holding penalties count towards his penalty total or not?

  15. #15
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Pro Football Focus Analysis of Rams O-line

    Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Except for the odd drive killing-play he took off here or there. Also, do his ceremonial end of game holding penalties count towards his penalty total or not?
    Where you do get your repeatedly quoted fact that the Rams WRs only run 2 second routes and QBs are expected to deliver the ball by then? Could you direct me to a source for such information? It seems like weekly you claim this is a reality.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -04-13-2010 at 07:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jim Thomas Live March 26 - Draft Chat
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-27-2010, 01:02 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -11-23-2008, 08:57 PM
  3. Gordo Post Game Chat
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
  4. Postgame With Gordo: November 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
  5. Jim Thomas Live, November 6, 2007
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-06-2007, 06:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •