AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

From Pro Football Weekly...

• Word is the Rams are excited about the return to the lineup of second-year DT Jimmy Kennedy, who made his season debut vs. the Patriots last Sunday after being sidelined since early August with a broken right foot. We hear Kennedy looked a lot quicker and more explosive in the practices leading up to the Patriots game.

• Rams OL Chris Dishman, who hyperextended his right knee in Week Three vs. New Orleans, has regained the starting OLG job from second-year pro Scott Tercero, but don’t be surprised if Tercero moves into the starting lineup at right tackle, where we hear Grant Williams is on an increasingly short leash.
    The Rams’ overall performance on defense left a lot to be desired the first half of the season. But one position that our sources believe could become an area of strength during the second half of the season is defensive tackle, in great part due to the steady play of former first-round pick Damione Lewis, who has been completely healthy for the first time in his four-year pro career. “It (being healthy) definitely has made a big difference,” Lewis told PFW last week. “I think I’ve played decently, but I need to continue improving my handling of double-teams, and I always feel I could do better against the run. And I think that we all can do a lot better job of tackling and finishing plays.” When asked about the difference between first-year defensive coordinator Larry Marmie and his predecessor, current Bears head coach Lovie Smith, Lewis said the main thing was that Smith kept things a lot simpler. Said Lewis: “Larry’s playbook is a little thicker. But he really believes in his system, and every week we’re getting a better handle on what he’s looking for from us.”

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: From Pro Football Weekly...

Said Lewis: “Larry’s playbook is a little thicker. But he really believes in his system, and every week we’re getting a better handle on what he’s looking for from us.”
    Ah, now the picture becomes more clear. The defense is having to stop and think about every play (Marmie ball) instead of just making the play (Lovie ball). Having a defensive unit that has to react instead of just going off instinct would make them look slow and sluggish. Time to dumb it down Larry.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Ah, now the picture becomes more clear. The defense is having to stop and think about every play (Marmie ball) instead of just making the play (Lovie ball). Having a defensive unit that has to react instead of just going off instinct would make them look slow and sluggish. Time to dumb it down Larry.
    Wouldn't it be nice if it was that simple? It may explain a few things, but, I think most would agree we need to pick up at least one, preferrably two, impact players in the secondary next year in the draft or FA. Still, it is helpful to gain alittle insight from the players perspective.

GO RAMS!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Rams OL Chris Dishman, who hyperextended his right knee in Week Three vs. New Orleans, has regained the starting OLG job from second-year pro Scott Tercero, but don’t be surprised if Tercero moves into the starting lineup at right tackle, where we hear Grant Williams is on an increasingly short leash.
    That sounds like some good news to me. I'm excited to see what Tercero can do at the right tackle position, although I would prefer him to take over for Dishman. I guess though when you have two glaring weaknesses on the O-line, you can't fill both of them.

If Tercero works out at right tackle, that'd clear the path for the Rams to draft David Baas (who I'm now high on apparently, since I drafted him in my Madden 2005 'chise).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by viper3
    Wouldn't it be nice if it was that simple? It may explain a few things, but, I think most would agree we need to pick up at least one, preferrably two, impact players in the secondary next year in the draft or FA. Still, it is helpful to gain alittle insight from the players perspective.

GO RAMS!!!
    It may not be the whole puzzle, but doesn't this sound like a big piece? I mean how else do you explain veterans who have played together since, at least last year, if not longer in most cases, who go from a pretty decent unit one season to absolute crapola the next. Watch them on the field. They look absolutely lost. And I'm not talking about rookies, I'm talking about the Polleys, Littles, Thomases, & Arches that are a step late to every play.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    It may not be the whole puzzle, but doesn't this sound like a big piece? I mean how else do you explain veterans who have played together since, at least last year, if not longer in most cases, who go from a pretty decent unit one season to absolute crapola the next. Watch them on the field. They look absolutely lost. And I'm not talking about rookies, I'm talking about the Polleys, Littles, Thomases, & Arches that are a step late to every play.
    I'm with ya HUBison...it could explain alot! I still think we need some help in the secondary though.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

If Tercero works out at right tackle, that'd clear the path for the Rams to draft David Baas (who I'm now high on apparently, since I drafted him in my Madden 2005 'chise).
    Keep in mind that Brad Smith (Mizzou's QB) is a top 3 pick in that game. That should be enough to show you the failings of EA with regard to their rankings in NCAA.

I think Tercero is the answer at Guard for next year, but he hasn't been impressive at all from what I've seen all year at the tackle position.