Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Pros/Cons to keeping Williams

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Pros/Cons to keeping Williams

Cons:

1) He paid money out of his own pocket for taking players out of the game & causing injuries by using any means necessary (dirty hits, hits on the sidelines, hits to the head, etc)

2) All the negative hype surrounding him, and now the Rams that we just don't need. It's getting worse every week, and will only keep getting worse as more evidence leaks out.

3)He's a liar. Fisher has said he knew nothing of this investigation by the NFL, and found out nothing about it it during the interviews with Williams. This means he either flat out lied or intentionally misled Fisher. Why Fisher hasn't released him for this fact alone is beyond me. The man is untrustworthy.

4) He's stupid. If you get caught doing something and are told to stop by the commissioner, but you keep doing it anyway, you're an idiot.

5) His "apology" is fake. This statement makes me want to puke it's so generic and insincere:
    “It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again.”
    He's only sorry he got caught. If he truly knew what he was doing was wrong he would have stopped whenever he came to that realization.

6) He's not that good. He's had a few decent years, but overall I'd say his career could be described as average. I've always thought that if a player or coach is one of the best at what they do, then it is sometimes worth it to take a risk on that person, but Williams does not fall into that category IMO. Here are the PPG (points per game) stats for Williams' led defenses beginning with his first year in Washington. Not a horrible resume, but not one so amazing that he's worth the cost of keeping .

2011(Saints): 13th
    2010(Saints): 7th
    2009(Saints): 20th
    2008(Jaguars): 21st
    2007(Redskins): 11th
    2006(Redskins): 27th
    2005(Redskins): 9th
    2004(Redskins): 3rd

Pros:

1) His agressive defensive schemes/blitz packages.

2) His experience. 21 years in the NFL have to count for something.

3) ??? I really can't think of anything else.

So what did I miss Pro or Con? So far I see no reason at all to keep this guy around 1 day longer.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -04-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Pros/Cons to keeping Williams

He isn't a liar... You HONESTLY think Jeff Fisher hired Gregg Williams not knowing about what kind of defense he runs? What kinds of things he does in the lockeroom? Their best friends, that's why he hasn't fired him yet..

I couldn't care less about any of this bounty crap. He wanted his players to play hard and win, he was even willing to pay his OWN money to have it happen... I'll take that DC 10 times a week and 15 times on Sunday.

THE DREAM TEAM

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He isn't a liar...
    Using one of williams' favorite adjectives:

He'a a ****ing liar!

The only question that remains is whether fisher lied about knowing about williams.
    GoSTLRams likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

There are to many cons to even consider keeping this guy. Fisher needs to select or hire someone to be his DC. Our Rams will be running Fisher's defense anyway. So just bring in someone and teach them the ropes.
    Aussie Dave and GoSTLRams like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

He isn't a liar... You HONESTLY think Jeff Fisher hired Gregg Williams not knowing about what kind of defense he runs? What kinds of things he does in the lockeroom? Their best friends, that's why he hasn't fired him yet..

I couldn't care less about any of this bounty crap. He wanted his players to play hard and win, he was even willing to pay his OWN money to have it happen... I'll take that DC 10 times a week and 15 times on Sunday.
    Couldn't agree more that Fisher knew .. If there was any lying done, it was most likely Fisher when was asked if he knew .. Initially, when the bountygate story first broke out, some in the media guessed that those involved would be suspended for 8 games plus fines. Add to that the fact that Williams was "cooperating" and this cooperation might cause Goodell to cut him a tiny bit of slack. As the various particulars continued to surface, the speculation on what Goodell would hand down went from half a season to a whole year or even a "lifetime" ban. I do remember reading Jim Thomas saying "the Rams were expecting something along the lines of an 8 game suspension" a while back. An outrageous piece of optimism in hindsight ..

I've got to believe Williams told Fish of his involvement prior to his being hired, but likely didn't include every single detail - the tape of Williams exhorting his D to "kill the head" perhaps was omitted - we'll probably never know that one ..

As far as any "cooperation" on the part of Williams goes, how could he not with his pants down in front of God and everyone?

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Pro: we can finally put to rest that old Four Pillars stuff!
    MauiRam and GROUND DOG 39 like this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Pro: we can finally put to rest that old Four Pillars stuff!
    I've already forgotten what they were supposed to be .. I know what they ending up being ..
    Can't tackle, can't catch, can't block, can't cover, can't win etc ..
    MoonJoe and live4ramin like this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I can't think of a single reason to keep him, and there's not enough time to list all the reasons not to.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

My bet is, he'll never work on our sidelines. I can't imagine Stan Kroenke would allow this scandal to be part of Rams history.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    My bet is, he'll never work on our sidelines. I can't imagine Stan Kroenke would allow this scandal to be part of Rams history.
    I think this is an excellent point. Where the team goes from here will show what kind of leadership we have.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The situation is complicated by the fact that Fisher and Williams are close friends, but the Rams should save themselves embarrassment and tell Williams to resign, or cut him loose, because after the release of the incriminating audio, there is little chance the NFL reinstates him. He's toast, burnt toast.
    jkramsfan likes this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

And for his troubles Alex *bleep* ing Smith dropped 36 on his defense. Now that's what I call playing hard.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

I think that before today he could have had a shot at staying. But after that audio came out, giving proof that he told his players to injure opposing players on purpose, he will never be re-instated. The rams as of right now are just known as the team that "unknowingly" hired Greg Williams. We can not in any way shape or form be associated with this. And believe me, it's only going to keep getting worse and worse. Best we cut our loses now.
    Truth and THOLTFAN81 like this.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I really can't see how Williams can be subject to much more of these negative articles and keep his job.

I do wonder at the timing of this latest release though, coinciding as it does with the Saints appeal and the debate over Parcells.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

As he said, "you cut off the head, the body dies"....

It's time for the Rams to use his own metaphor against him, and say adios.
    Fettmaster likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast