Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Purge the roster of older players we have a minimum 3 year process.

If we really care about this team we will look at whats best for this team to build a team that can be competitive year after year. We can't expect a dramatic difference next year or the year after that. We need to plan on starting the rebuilding process now and continue the next two years. We need to hope that three years from now we can field a team that will be competitive and yet have enough young nucleus that we won't have to many holes to fill to remain competitive. That is why I believe we should look at our players that turn 30 next year and seriously consider getting any value we can for them in trade and release the ones we can't. We should target younger players via free agency but be conservative in our spending. Don't commit to large contracts on older players until maybe the second and definently the third year.

We have 24 players on our roster that will turn 30 years old or older next year. Here is a list of those players with their ages.

Trent Green QB 39
    Gary Stills LB 35
    Leonard Little DE 35
    La'Roi Glover DT 35
    Orlando Pace LT 34
    Dane Looker WR 33
    Torry Holt WR 33
    Chris Draft LB 33
    Jason Craft CB 33
    Corey Chavous SS 33
    Marc Bulger QB 32
    Dan Kreider FB 32
    James Hall DE 32
    Fakhir Brown CB 32
    Anthony Becht TE 32
    Dante Hall PuntReturn/WR 31
    Brandon Gorin T 31
    Drew Bennett WR 31
    Brett Romberg C 30
    Travis Minor RB 30
    Randy McMichael TE 30
    Chris Massey LS 30
    Todd Johnson S 31
    Josh Brown K 30

Kickers normally live forever I would not mind keeping Josh Brown but his contract would be up before his value could even help us. We should try to get something for him as well.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -11-09-2008 at 08:48 PM.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Re: Purge the roster of older players we have a minimum 3 year process.

Trade the best kicker in the NFL? Have you been drinking after the debacle at the Meadowlands?

Seriously, looking at that list we need to keep Bulger (because putting in a rookie would be suicidal), Pace (to tutor his replacement for a year or two), Little and McMichael. Green would be a "keeper" for his leadership skills, I suppose. The rest can go, if we can find them new homes.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Seriously, looking at that list we need to keep Bulger (because putting in a rookie would be suicidal), .
    I think ATL would disagree.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    Trade the best kicker in the NFL? Have you been drinking after the debacle at the Meadowlands?

Seriously, looking at that list we need to keep Bulger (because putting in a rookie would be suicidal), Pace (to tutor his replacement for a year or two), Little and McMichael. Green would be a "keeper" for his leadership skills, I suppose. The rest can go, if we can find them new homes.
    I would not mind keeping Josh Brown since I checked and it was a 5 year contract he should be able to help this team in his fourth year when the rest of the team starts producing. Even if he hit every field goal and extra point attempt over the next two years I don't think it will help us get into the playoffs and win big playoff games. As for the rest we should try to get some value in return while they still have some. You first have to have players that you can mentor and right now we need them at every position if we want to keep around all the mentors with high salaries it will be hard to get younger players (draft picks or younger free agents) to mentor. Orlando Pace will turn 36 in three years he will be washed up by then. Little will be 38 years old. Those are two large contracts to keep on the roster when we could spend it on younger free agents with upside that could grow within the system. You mentioned keeping Bulger who will be 34 in three years I could see some trying to make that case. However I never said I would put a rookie in I would consider younger alternatives as well. What I do know is that he is getting paid a good some over the next two years of his career and he will most likely be on the decline when year three rolls around. As for Green he will be 41 years old in three years and he has a fairly lucrative contract for a backup.

We keep going down the same road of trying to fix the team for the current year and not for several years. We are mortgaging our future if we hold on to all of our best veterans when this team is three years away from being a serious competitor.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -11-09-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

There is no future in the NFL. It doesn't take 3 years to rebuild anymore. Get some FAs and a good draft and you are right in business. Sure you want to replace some older players, but a huge scale purge isn't necessary due to age, unless the players don't buy into what the FO is trying to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    There is no future in the NFL. It doesn't take 3 years to rebuild anymore. Get some FAs and a good draft and you are right in business.
    Rams record:
    2004 8-8
    2005 6-10
    2006 8-8
    2007 3-13
    2008 2-7
    2009 Bulger, Holt, Pace, Little 6 years later and nagging injuries. This will be our year it only takes one good draft, and a few free agents even though all our money is tied up in older veterans. There is NO WAY this team will be a serious contender to make a run at the Super bowl next year or the year after. We have tried through free agency and draft since 2004 and now we have veterans getting the largest salaries who are now 6 years older and have nagging injuries. Our record the last two years also shows that we have regressed in our attempt of keeping our older veterans and playing for the one year turnaround.

The four mentioned above have combined to miss several games over the last 2-3 years.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -11-09-2008 at 09:52 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I think ATL would disagree.
    Atlanta has something resembling an offensive line and doesn't ask Ryan to do all that much. We'd be putting our 1st Rounder behind the seven blocks of air and asking him to single-handedly win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Atlanta has something resembling an offensive line and doesn't ask Ryan to do all that much. We'd be putting our 1st Rounder behind the seven blocks of air and asking him to single-handedly win the game.
    Who said we would draft a first round QB?

Even if we did we are only talking about losing 1 starting OL who has missed several games nearly complete seasons already due to injury. So what would be the difference of having a high priced QB who would get beat up even more then he already has. Do you think the high priced aging veteran QB would come out in better physical shape in three years and be able to lead this team for another 3 years? I don't understand the logic. The first priority this off season should be OL we need to keep whoever we have at QB healthy. We don't need to go QB in round 1 this year. QB's switch teams a lot we need to look at trades and free agency as well. Drew Brees was 26 years old when he went to the Saints he has been a good QB for them. We could try some potential QB's and if they don't work out by year three then sign a healthy veteran QB. We need to address the OL definently and that could be done before choosing the future QB.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -11-09-2008 at 10:22 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Who said we would draft a first round QB?
    The post I was responding to seemed to be operating in the context of putting a rookie QB in this coming season. I was simply pointing out why Atlanta is making Matt Ryan work and why we couldn't do the same.

And the only reason a rookie would be the starter at that position from Day one would be if he was a 1st rounder.

mh-i is offline Registered User

There are very few, if any, names on the Rams roster that I would consider untouchable. Put it this way, other than Brown, who deserves to to go to the Pro Bowl? The Rams are definitely NOT one off season away from a turn around.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Terrible drafting in combination with aging players and injuries have created the Rams demise. Devaney seems to have put together a pretty good draft. Who we really need to purge are Shaw and Zyggy then get Devaney some real personal help

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Put it this way, other than Brown, who deserves to to go to the Pro Bowl?
    Donnie Jones

Dominating D is offline Registered User

You forgot to get rid of that bum of a player Kurt Warner. He's been injured and proved he can no longer play in this league. The Rams can't afford to keep veteran players like him on the roster......

I guess some people do not pay attention to history and are bound to make the same mistakes over and over.......

Rebuilding with young talent does not guarantee positive change. A well balance team with youth and veterian leadership would make the best sense....

Go Rams

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Enough with the Kurt Warner. The guy hasn't played 16 games since the '01 season and he hasn't played all that well since then until this year. He's gone get over it. Our team wouldn't be any better off right now if he were our QB.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    Rams record:
    2004 8-8
    2005 6-10
    2006 8-8
    2007 3-13
    2008 2-7
    2009 Bulger, Holt, Pace, Little 6 years later and nagging injuries. This will be our year it only takes one good draft, and a few free agents even though all our money is tied up in older veterans. There is NO WAY this team will be a serious contender to make a run at the Super bowl next year or the year after. We have tried through free agency and draft since 2004 and now we have veterans getting the largest salaries who are now 6 years older and have nagging injuries. Our record the last two years also shows that we have regressed in our attempt of keeping our older veterans and playing for the one year turnaround.

The four mentioned above have combined to miss several games over the last 2-3 years.
    The OP's list probably has half the team. You aren't going to get anything for most. The way to make a team better is to get better players, not to stockpile conditional 7th round picks for aging vets. 2010 may be an uncapped year FAs will be everywhere. The Jets were 4-12 last year and are a top 3 team in the AFC right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast