Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    And in my opinion, any further posts suggesting Null start this year should be considered off-topic, since it's a non-issue ...

    Billy Devaney indicated on the radio today that in no way shape or form would Null be getting an open tryout. Nor would Null be getting any playing time unless something drastic happens. Looks like they are looking at bringing back Brock Berlin. If this happens, fully expect Berlin to get the reps if Boller were to go down ...

    It makes very good sense as to why they wouldn't throw Null out there. Devaney plain and simple said it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team. For those that don't understand that, realize the Null gets very few if any reps in practice. He has very little grasp of the speed of the NFL game. Putting Null out there would be prohibitive to the growth and development of every single player around him, both offense and defense. This offense would be very limited in what they could do, and consequently very ineffective placing the D in a bad situation ...

    Hence, it just isn't going to happen ...

    SO DROP IT!

    BTW, the rest of the season is NOT a "wash" as some have called it. I am sorry to say, but uttering this statement immediately puts your football IQ in question, because every game and every second is important to players that are on a franchise in rebuilding mode ...


  2. #2
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    46
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    And in my opinion, any further posts suggesting Null start this year should be considered off-topic, since it's a non-issue ...

    Billy Devaney indicated on the radio today that in no way shape or form would Null be getting an open tryout. Nor would Null be getting any playing time unless something drastic happens. Looks like they are looking at bringing back Brock Berlin. If this happens, fully expect Berlin to get the reps if Boller were to go down ...

    It makes very good sense as to why they wouldn't throw Null out there. Devaney plain and simple said it wouldn't be fair to the rest of the team. For those that don't understand that, realize the Null gets very few if any reps in practice. He has very little grasp of the speed of the NFL game. Putting Null out there would be prohibitive to the growth and development of every single player around him, both offense and defense. This offense would be very limited in what they could do, and consequently very ineffective placing the D in a bad situation ...

    Hence, it just isn't going to happen ...

    SO DROP IT!

    BTW, the rest of the season is NOT a "wash" as some have called it. I am sorry to say, but uttering this statement immediately puts your football IQ in question, because every game and every second is important to players that are on a franchise in rebuilding mode ...
    Well I guess since you've decided we should all drop it we will. What else do you think we should drop? Talking about Bulger, or who we should draft next year? Your subjects await your decision oh high and mighty one!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #3
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    Well I guess since you've decided we should all drop it we will. What else do you think we should drop? Talking about Bulger, or who we should draft next year? Your subjects await your decision oh high and mighty one!
    You're right! We should continue to discuss meaningless aspects of our team that have already been shot down by the GM ...

    Sigh ... it never ends ....

    Bulger sucks, start our D-II QB Null, woohoo, this is fun ...

    Since the season is a "wash", let's deactivate Jackson and let Darby and Gado get the reps ...

    Maybe we can take a look at Sean Walker too ...

    Start David Roach at FS ....

  4. #4
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,210
    Rep Power
    70

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    While "Infiniti" was a bit patronizing with his pronouncement about "stopping all Null posts", I completely agree with his two general statements.

    First, and understandably, fans want to see another option at QB since Bulger is hurt and we know what Boller can do. But it is obvious that Null is simply not ready. The coaches know what they have in Null, and it's apparent he'd be getting the practice reps necessary to prepare him for game action if the coaches felt he was a long term answer. He was not drafted as a successor to Bulger but was taken because of his potential to be serviceable down the road. That he "looked good" in the scrimmages means zilch. Will Furrer looked good in scrimmages a couple of years ago, and we all know what kind of career Will Furrer ended up having in the NFL.

    And second, I too have a major problem with anyone suggesting we just play out the rest of the season by essentailly emptying the bench, putting in a 3rd string QB to start the remaining games or going out there with less than 100% commitment to winning. Anyone who has ever strapped on a jock or has been a part of any form of competitive athletics knows that just isn't how it's done, nor is it anything that Billy DeVaney or Steve Spagnuolo- two proud individuals- would willingly be a part of.

  5. #5
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,075
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

    Start David Roach at FS ....

    When he was coming out of college, some scouts called him the next Ed Reed.

    We should try giving him a chance.



  6. #6
    itsguud's Avatar
    itsguud is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    1,251
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    after thinking about it, I agree with devaney.. QB's like carson palmer didn't even play in their first NFL season. by letting keith work the scout team, and watch from the sideline, he will be able to learn alot. so I guess this is the best thing possible. I am still gonna wear my Null Jersey!! haha

    I have to disagree there. The problem most of the old school FO guys in the NFL have is that they only see things one way. In this case they believe that QB's ALL learn better by watching the game from the sidelines instead of playing. That statement is probably correct for a large amount of QB's, however it is almost certainly untrue to generalize that about EVERY QB. In fact i would even say that it is untrue to say that about 2/3's of the QB's.

    Simply learning techniques are different for everyone. Some guys will learn better as they get out there and play and others by watching. So what if Null is one of the guys who progresses better while being out on the field instead of sitting on the sideline. Then by leaving him there in case theory 'a' of guys learn better by watching, isn't actually true for him we are in fact stunting the growth and the timeline of how long it will take him to be ready.

    I have never been one for not trying out new players and such. Who knows - Null could get out there and tear t up, or may slowly get into grove and by end of season be ready as a full time starter taking away the need for us to look for a QB. Why throw the potential out the door before exploring it as an opportunity? We already know Boller isn't our next QB. Give the young blood a chance to not only start but to grow with the team.

  7. #7
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Interesting problem though is that these are the same people who seem to think he's qualified to be a backup. He's currently the #2 QB and the only guy they are talking about bringing in (if they put Marc on the IR) is Brock Berlin. If Null is so unprepared to play in the NFL, what's your opinion of them if Boller gets hurt on the first series this weekend and they don't have another QB on the roster?

    And most people aren't calling for Null to start, just play.

  8. #8
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    I know nothing about Null. How did he do in the preseason and is there any reports of how he has been doing in training.

    Thanks Infiniti for the radio news from Devaney. I feel so far away from the rams. No local shows to keep me updated. The clan is all I have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,866
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    And most people aren't calling for Null to start, just play.
    Correct, just a chance to play some .. On the other hand, it seems Keith is not highly regarded by the FO and coaching staff. Why? Who really knows other than the people who see him play in practice. The fact that Berlin will be signed if Bulger goes on IR speaks volumes about the teams' confidence in Null at this point. I am among the posters who would liked to have seen Null given the opportunity to play, but after reading the latest "Jim Thomas Live" along with Billy D's comments, it is clear Null will likely not be playing any time soon. At this juncture, I can't help but wonder if Null will be wearing horns next season. Hopefully he's making some progress this year ..

  10. #10
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,184
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Bringing in Brock Berlin is a joke. We and the RAMS know he's nothing more than a 3rd stringer.

    Roll the dice......we're 1-9 for crying out loud.


    If Null is that bad why was he drafted?

    I'm waiting......

  11. #11
    codeman123's Avatar
    codeman123 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    canada
    Age
    24
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    This is ridiculous. Null isn't ready and he was a 6th round pick. He may or may not be talented but he is not ready to face NFL calibre defenses.

    A 12 year old might be a genius, but he still isn't ready to take university classes. Let Null develop.

  12. #12
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    This is ridiculous. Null isn't ready and he was a 6th round pick. He may or may not be talented but he is not ready to face NFL calibre defenses.

    A 12 year old might be a genius, but he still isn't ready to take university classes. Let Null develop.
    If this is a fact, why has he been on the active roster for the last 10 weeks and is now our #2 QB? If Boller gets hurt in warm-ups or comes down with the flu, Null is starting on Sunday. Think about it.

    Shouldn't we be questioning the decision to have this guy active all season if he's so horrible? Why didn't we just go with 2 QBs instead of wasting a roster spot on him?

  13. #13
    shower beers's Avatar
    shower beers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,043
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    If this is a fact, why has he been on the active roster for the last 10 weeks and is now our #2 QB? If Boller gets hurt in warm-ups or comes down with the flu, Null is starting on Sunday. Think about it.

    Shouldn't we be questioning the decision to have this guy active all season if he's so horrible? Why didn't we just go with 2 QBs instead of wasting a roster spot on him?

    Well, to be fair Null is our no. 2 QB by default right now. And if I remember correctly, they chose to put him on the active roster because they were concerned about him being signed up by another team if he were to lan on the practice squad.

  14. #14
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Well, to be fair Null is our no. 2 QB by default right now. And if I remember correctly, they chose to put him on the active roster because they were concerned about him being signed up by another team if he were to lan on the practice squad.
    So the Rams believe he's unqualified to play in the NFL right now (after seeing him practice) yet they are concerned other teams will think he's qualified? Isn't this the guy that beat out Brock Berlin for the job yet now Berlin is being talked about as a #3 yet he played in the NFL just last season.

    It doesn't matter that he's our #2 by default. If you don't think he's qualified to play, you don't put him on the active roster. Why carry 3 QBs at all? There were weeks the Rams ran out there 4 WRs and Avery was obviously still hurting. That's idiotic.

  15. #15
    codeman123's Avatar
    codeman123 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    canada
    Age
    24
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: To put an end to the Nulpul decision ....

    Tom Brady - drafted in 2000 in the 6th round. Appeared in 1 game in 2000 and had 3 pass attempts. Had 1 completion for 6 yards. He also came from Michigan, not a D2 school.

    Kurt Warner - Undrafted in 1994. Did not play in the NFL until 1998. In 1998 he only completed 4 passes in 1 game.

    Marc Bulger - Drafted in 2000 in the 6th round. Did not play until 2002.

    Tony Romo - Undrafted in 2003. Didn't start until 2006.

    The bottom line is Null is not ready to play right now. Everyone who has watched practices says he is not comfortable under center. Also, forget passing and reading defenses, he most likely hasn't even given a hand-off to Jackson yet in practice. Brady was the only player to appear in the year he was drafted and threw 3 passes. Even if Null does appear in one series this season, he is most likely going to be handing it off without even thinking of throwing a pass.

    Also, how would you feel if the Rams quarterback selection this draft was picked up by the Dolphins or Chiefs (or any other team for that matter) off the practice squad. You would question Devaney for not managing the team properly. Having Null not appear this season isn't wasting a draft pick, but having a another team take him midway through the season sure is.
    Last edited by codeman123; -11-25-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Wagoner: Rams Ready for Difficult Decision
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -04-16-2007, 09:43 PM
  3. Fisher Likely to Play; Brown a Game-time Decision
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-13-2006, 08:28 PM
  4. Fisher Likely to Play; Brown a Game-time Decision
    By RamsFan4ever in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-13-2006, 07:15 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-14-2005, 02:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •