Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Put this stat up in the locker room this week

xkidflowx is offline Registered User

Re: Put this stat up in the locker room this week

salas has had to have had atleast 4-5 drop passes lol.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Just another sign that the Rams need to draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round next year. Depending on who is available whever the Rams pick, Floyd and Blackmon must be considered. These two are playmakers that Bradford could target right away. I know there are depth concerns in the secondary, but offensive upgrades seem to be the doctor's order two games into the season.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Ahhhh, yes, let's continue to hammer the receivers day after day ...

MSW, Gibson, DX against Giants - 13 receptions for 266 yards ...

Sam Bradford is second in the league as per Stats, Inc. in "Poor Throws" ...

Who leads the NFL in dropped passes?

Dwaybe Bowe has 4, so does the almighty Brandon Marshall ...

Steve Smith has 3, and there is Andre and Calvin Johnson sitting with 2, equal to the number than any of our receivers have dropped ...

Another look, Roddy White has 2 drops also ....

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    How did we only have 2 drops this week? Are you sure that's not Salas with 8 drops, second only to the entire Miami Dolphins team?

I guess someone has to be the reason why we are 0-2 so if using Salas make you feel better more power to you.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I counted 4 drops that were counted in the eagles game so I guess there were 4 in the giants game too

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I guess someone has to be the reason why we are 0-2 so if using Salas make you feel better more power to you.
    Yes, because that's exactly what I said...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Frankly, I think this type of subjective stat is of little value. For example, if a QB is given no time, or has nobody open, and throws the ball away to avoid a sack, is that a "poor throw"? How about if the QB throws the ball to the right spot, but the receiver runs the wrong route?

Here's what I do know...

In week 1, Sam was 17/30 for 188 yards, no TDs or Ints. If Lance Kendricks catches a perfectly thrown ball and scores, Sam would have been 18/29, 225 yards, 1 TD, 0 Ints. (had Kendricks caught the ball, the next pay - a drop by Gibson - would have never happened).

That one play would have raised Sam's Week 1 QB rating from 75.4 to 97.6.

So.... yes... I think dropped passes are a BIG deal.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

A couple things - one, % of passes that are poor throws is a better measure as it controls for number of passes attempted. Two, one of us is reading the stats wrong because I'm seeing something different (it could be me). I couldn't find where Stats provides a sortable list for either poor throws or poor throw %, so I just looked at the top 8 QBs in terms of pass attempts this season and jotted down the numbers (really, top 9 since Bradford and Hasselbeck are tied for 8th). Of those, Brady and Cutler each had 14, and Bradford along with Rivers, Newton, and Henne had 12. So he's tied for 3rd on this list out of 9.

But like I said, I feel percentage of throws that are poor would be a better measure anyway, here are the top 9 QBs by pass attempts with % of passes that are "poor" listed:
    Brady - 15.9%
    Rivers - 13.6%
    Brees - 9.3%
    Newton - 14.5%
    Henne - 15.2%
    Cutler - 18.2%
    Grossman - 11.7%
    Bradford - 15.8%
    Hasselbeck - 13.2%

Bradford is 3rd worst out of 9 here as well. So based on this somewhat crude measure over only 2 games, he's somewhat subpar when compared to a group of the better QBs so far this season. I really don't think that's anything to get too worked up about.

I actually think Bradford played really well in the NYG game. He had some mistakes but he also made quite a few good plays. The PHI game I'm with you, he stunk. But really, I don't think you can say that he has been particularly good or particularly bad so far this season looking at both games overall.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Whether any of them will become the guy who makes the tough catch in traffic look routine is anybody's guess but it seems unlikely that Salas & Pettis won't rediscover that skill which was such a key part of their draft profile.
    Exactly! It was extremely frustrating to watch Greg's drops, and muffed catch on special teams, but I believe one of these days he'll get his legs under him and win back his own confidence in himself .. Same with Pettis. They need reps and a bit more time to develop. In the meantime I'll try to be patient, but it's not easy .. Probably not easy for Billy D. either ...

dgr828 is offline Registered User

On the bright side, MSW had pretty nice showing. It was good to see him more involved in the offense. In Jacksonville, Mike Sims-Walker had a nose for the endzone, Sam would do best to call his number, espcially in redzone situations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Frankly, I think this type of subjective stat is of little value. For example, if a QB is given no time, or has nobody open, and throws the ball away to avoid a sack, is that a "poor throw"? How about if the QB throws the ball to the right spot, but the receiver runs the wrong route?

Here's what I do know...

In week 1, Sam was 17/30 for 188 yards, no TDs or Ints. If Lance Kendricks catches a perfectly thrown ball and scores, Sam would have been 18/29, 225 yards, 1 TD, 0 Ints. (had Kendricks caught the ball, the next pay - a drop by Gibson - would have never happened).

That one play would have raised Sam's Week 1 QB rating from 75.4 to 97.6.

So.... yes... I think dropped passes are a BIG deal.
    Got the other eye closed?

If Bradford doesn't overthrow Amendola week one, it's a touchdown. Poor throw.

If Bradford puts some air under the ball on the pass Ross nearly picked, it hits Gibson in stride and it's a touchdown. Poor throw.

The pass batted down that some think would have gone to DX for a TD in the Giants game, would have sailed 5 yards behind him. Poor throw.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    A couple things - one, % of passes that are poor throws is a better measure as it controls for number of passes attempted. Two, one of us is reading the stats wrong because I'm seeing something different (it could be me). I couldn't find where Stats provides a sortable list for either poor throws or poor throw %, so I just looked at the top 8 QBs in terms of pass attempts this season and jotted down the numbers (really, top 9 since Bradford and Hasselbeck are tied for 8th). Of those, Brady and Cutler each had 14, and Bradford along with Rivers, Newton, and Henne had 12. So he's tied for 3rd on this list out of 9.

But like I said, I feel percentage of throws that are poor would be a better measure anyway, here are the top 9 QBs by pass attempts with % of passes that are "poor" listed:
    Brady - 15.9%
    Rivers - 13.6%
    Brees - 9.3%
    Newton - 14.5%
    Henne - 15.2%
    Cutler - 18.2%
    Grossman - 11.7%
    Bradford - 15.8%
    Hasselbeck - 13.2%

Bradford is 3rd worst out of 9 here as well. So based on this somewhat crude measure over only 2 games, he's somewhat subpar when compared to a group of the better QBs so far this season. I really don't think that's anything to get too worked up about.

I actually think Bradford played really well in the NYG game. He had some mistakes but he also made quite a few good plays. The PHI game I'm with you, he stunk. But really, I don't think you can say that he has been particularly good or particularly bad so far this season looking at both games overall.
    Bradford was fairly mediocre against Philly. He was very good against the Giants.

The point is, there's more to our offense problems than drops. There are misreads (as pointed out in a previous thread where he had Gibson wide open), bad throws, and miscommunication, among other things.

Got the other eye closed?

If Bradford doesn't overthrow Amendola week one, it's a touchdown. Poor throw.

If Bradford puts some air under the ball on the pass Ross nearly picked, it hits Gibson in stride and it's a touchdown. Poor throw.

The pass batted down that some think would have gone to DX for a TD in the Giants game, would have sailed 5 yards behind him. Poor throw.
    First of all, I don't agree with you that the second play was a "poor throw." Rather, it was a very good play by Ross.

I guess it comes down to this.

What's worse... a QB who occasionally makes a poor throw (i.e. every QB in the league) or a receiver who drops a perfect throw that would have resulted in a TD?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    First of all, I don't agree with you that the second play was a "poor throw." Rather, it was a very good play by Ross.

I guess it comes down to this.

What's worse... a QB who occasionally makes a poor throw (i.e. every QB in the league) or a receiver who drops a perfect throw that would have resulted in a TD?
    Whhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaatttt? Please explain to me how a DB that is beat by at least 3 yards makes a VERY GOOD PLAY on a well thrown ball? The only reason he made a play on the ball was because it was thrown with poor trajectory.

As for the other point, sure, Kendricks dropped what was a probable TD. But that's the only drop we've had that you could say for certain would have resulted in any points. Some of them may have extended drives and resulted in points, who knows.

I can think of 19 points off my head that Bradford has left on the field because of poor throws/missed reads.

Point, it all adds up.

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaatttt? Please explain to me how a DB that is beat by at least 3 yards makes a VERY GOOD PLAY on a well thrown ball? The only reason he made a play on the ball was because it was thrown with poor trajectory.
    He wasn't beat by 3 yards. He undercut the route and made a good play.

As for the other point, sure, Kendricks dropped what was a probable TD. But that's the only drop we've had that you could say for certain would have resulted in any points. Some of them may have extended drives and resulted in points, who knows.
    Gibson (one play after the Kendricks drop) dropped a pass that, at worst, would have resulted in a first down inside the 20 (possibly the 10). Salas dropped a 3 yard pass on third and 2 inside the ten this week. Those are pretty bad plays in my book.

I can think of 19 points off my head that Bradford has left on the field because of poor throws/missed reads.
    That statement is, at best, inaccurate and, at worst, patently absurd. Its easy to look at a replay and say "wow, the QB should have thown it to _____. He was wide open!" What you fail to account for is the likelihood that the QB could not see that receiver because of the direction of the pass rush or the positioning of defenders. You see, real life isn't Madden. The guy in control of the ball does not have the benefit of the camera's vantage point.

I watched every play of the first two games and can say with complete confidence that Bradford's performances have not been perfect, but have been far better than that of the receiving corps as a whole.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast