Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rammiser is offline Registered User

Is qb really our biggest need?

I love how everyone says how bad our wr's are but also follows it up by saying we need a new qb. I really wish we had traded our next three drafts for Matt Cassell because he's a stud. (sarcasm off) How much of a stud is Cassell now that he is on a team with about the same skill level as the Rams? I mean I remember a lot of you guys saying how he was great and how even though he was getting sacks he was still able to make plays. Well how does he look now? I'll answer that for you, his stats are almost identical to Bulger's and Bulger missed 3 games basically. So I guess the point I'm getting at is why if Cassell was so great in New England why is he so average now? The way people talk Bulger is the only qb in the NFL that should have to succeed with little to no talent around him. People explained how Cassell was often sacked but still put up great stats for te Patriots, and Bulger should be able to do the same. Sure maybe Cassell just got gun shy just like Bulger and now he is terrible and needs to be replaced too. On the other hand maybe just maybe does the talent around you make a HUGE difference?

I saw two interceptions where the wr ran and incorrect route and Bulger will take the blame for both of them. How many wr's dropped the ball today? The drops were drive killers to by the way. There were at least four drops in the first half alone.

The only reason I bring this up is because next years qb's coming out in the draft in my opinion suck. I wouldnt draft Bradford,Mccoy,Tebow at all no matter what round they fall to. Why not stick with Bulger one more year take the best player in the draft next year. Pick up a young qb lower in the draft other than the three walking busts listed above. This team has a ton of needs, one glaring one at wr. Avery doesnt impress me at all.

Bulger is not as bad when he actually has a little help around him. Some say that Bulger causes his own sacks and he should get rid of the ball sooner. Get rid of it to where double coverage? Should he just throw it up for grabs and hope one of his wr's even notices the ball is in the air? It's pretty damn obvious and after seeing how Cassell's production went in the dumper when he went from a talented team to a terrible one that throwing a young qb behind center next year for this Rams team will get us no further than we are now. We have a guy that can succeed in this league even though most of the experts on this board think he cant.

We are going to be in cap hell after picking in the top five for the 3rd year straight. If we dont win the toilet bowl next week vs the Lions we will be picking first overall. That is if the NFL gets a new contract in order before next season. If it's an uncapped yea than this could all be a moot point we can just shell out tons of jack and buy a winner. Somehow I doubt even the new regime wil be doing that. This of course is all just my opinion, but I dont think any guy in next years draft could even play how Bulger has played this year.

I agree that Bulger does need to be replaced eventually, but why not wait one more year where maybe we can get a guy who can play the game? I don't wat the next Ryan Leaf as Bulger's replacement. I think we will be better off not drafting a qb in the first round next year.

Just Fix It

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Is qb really our biggest need?

I do see your points. I don't believe QB is the biggest need. I think our biggest need is a playmaking WR. Avery shows flashes, as Burton does. But we don't have that #1 guy! I think this is the year we find Bruce's replacement.

As for QB, who knows, maybe we can snag one in round two.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Hmm okay. You mentioned Bradford, McCoy, and Tebow. Only one of them is even worth considering for us, and that is Bradford. But how about Clausen? Locker? Pike? Have you even watched them?

blood85 is offline Registered User

I'd say yes, but it won't do us any good if we don't have a line to block, wr's to catch the ball, or a defense to keep us in games. The game is won in the trenches, if we can't block or can't rush the passer, it's going to be really difficult to win, no matter who is back there.

JFMose is offline Registered User

No, wide receivers and an O-line is needed. Bulger can throw, he just needs the time and a good WR to throw to

laramsfan73 is offline Registered User

I think it's difficult to assess what the biggest need this team has. I think this team will end up taking the best player on the board that will fill a need, mainly due to the fact that there are no qb's that would fit. I'm not knocking Clausen, Locker, Bradford, and so on. I just don't think these players would be worth the high draft pick this year.

I think the Rams do need a QB, but not at the tremendous cost it would require for a seemingly questionable QB class this year. As for Tebow, he's been a great College QB, but I'm not sure his style would carry over to the NFL with the success that would be expected. Bradford has been injured. It will be a tough call. I'd rather the Rams find a Tom Brady or another solid QB in another round.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Is QB the biggest need? No, WR, TE, OG, DE all ahead of QB, but there is a catch.

Which player makes the biggest possible impact? The QB
    Who is in the position to lead the most? The QB
    Who generally is paid the most? The QB

Its a QB driven league, Bulger is no spring chicken and he has taken a ton of hits. When you have a franchise in need of a drastic turnaround and you have a mediocre QB regardless of the talent around him, you need to get the young franchise guy. Cassell hasn't lit the world on fire, but he has been decent considering he only has Dwayne bow and a terrible line. He is young and still has upside he gives the team someone to build around. Bulger isn't young and his upside severely limited at this point. How long is this rebuilding going to take Bulger is already 32 how long is this rebuilding going to take? IMO thats why you go get your young guy who is entering his prime when you have built up the talent of your team and can consistently win every year.

In short QB isn't our biggest need, but we are rebuilding and we are going have to go out and get a young guy one way or another regardless of what you think of Bulger.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Our receivers this year have been a big part of the problem, but quarterbacking isn't a problem exclusive to this year. Bulger's 2009 stats aren't that far off from his 2008 stats or his 2007 stats. The reality check here is that Bulger has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns each of the last two seasons, his completion percentage has been approximately 5 percentile points lower than his career average, and when he does complete passes they go for fewer yards.

Another factor that comes into play is that we already have a number of young receivers on the roster who could still emerge as playmakers. The third year is supposed to be when a lot of receivers take their game up a notch, right? That would be next year for Avery and Burton. A healthy Robinson could make a difference, too, but we have no realistic hopes that a young quarterback on the roster might emerge as a long-term starter.

Do we absolutely have to replace Bulger this off-season? No. You always have to weigh available talent versus level of need, but it's also way too early to pass judgment on the quarterback class of 2010.

#39 Fan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    Is QB the biggest need? No, WR, TE, OG, DE all ahead of QB, but there is a catch.

Which player makes the biggest possible impact? The QB
    Who is in the position to lead the most? The QB
    Who generally is paid the most? The QB

Its a QB driven league, Bulger is no spring chicken and he has taken a ton of hits. When you have a franchise in need of a drastic turnaround and you have a mediocre QB regardless of the talent around him, you need to get the young franchise guy. Cassell hasn't lit the world on fire, but he has been decent considering he only has Dwayne bow and a terrible line. He is young and still has upside he gives the team someone to build around. Bulger isn't young and his upside severely limited at this point. How long is this rebuilding going to take Bulger is already 32 how long is this rebuilding going to take? IMO thats why you go get your young guy who is entering his prime when you have built up the talent of your team and can consistently win every year.

In short QB isn't our biggest need, but we are rebuilding and we are going have to go out and get a young guy one way or another regardless of what you think of Bulger.

good post.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We need playmakers. WR right now is our biggest need. Clausen makes stupid reads at critical times, Locker hasn't really proved much to me other than he plays ok in a pro style offense. I'd go WR in Round 1 and I don't care what any of the "experts" say about it.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

This QB failed with Bruce and Holt as his receivers.

You can get a WR in free agency. Many teams get by with 1 better than average WR and 3-4 average to below average WRs. With Burton / Robinson on one side as the possession receiver, Avery in the slot and that free agent on the other side, they could be an average type of WR corp.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Answer is no if QB is our greatness need, but if we keep this losing pace up the rams looks like they will be on the clock first in 2010 and not many receivers are worth a # 1 overall spot. It would be great if we could trade that pick and moved down. I say if we stay at a high pick QB is as good of a spot to start as any. We have to have a QB soon anyway. The rams are not going to take another OL man that high and only LT go that high. A DE, DT yes.
    :ramlogo:

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    This QB failed with Bruce and Holt as his receivers.

You can get a WR in free agency. Many teams get by with 1 better than average WR and 3-4 average to below average WRs. With Burton / Robinson on one side as the possession receiver, Avery in the slot and that free agent on the other side, they could be an average type of WR corp.

Just out of curiosity, when exactly did he fail with Bruce and Holt?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Just out of curiosity, when exactly did he fail with Bruce and Holt?
    In 2007 they were 3-13. One of the three wins, Bulger didn't play.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    after seeing what Peyton manning has been able to do, with the two WR's that the colts have had to throw to the last few weeks, "Garcon. Collie" I am starting to think that maybe it isn't ALL Our WR's fault. I'm not saying that Bulger sucks, I'm just saying that Bulger isn't the only former Pro bowl QB throwing to No Name Wr's. (Peyton Manning, Eli Manning" but I will say that he is far less productive than the 2 mentioned QB's How bad would we be with Peyton Manning? 0-7? I think not. Just Saying.. we need a QB That can play with anybody and not just a field full of Pro Bowl Players. (Holt, Bruce, Faulk)
    Peyton Manning has Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark to throw to besides those no name receivers. It's a little easier for young receivers to get open when they aren't the only receiving options on the field. Eli Manning has a great offensive line and running game to help him and both are on teams that aren't in the rebuilding stage and learning a new offense with young receivers.

I'm sure the Rams would be much better with one of the Mannings at QB than they are now but Bulger is in one of the worst situations possible for a QB to be in. A great QB like Peyton Manning could make this situation work but if we are looking towards drafting a young franchise QB then I don't like his chances with this offense.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast