Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Re: Is qb really our biggest need?

I sometimes wonder if we picked a really good QB (whoever that is) in Rd 1, that we would just crush his confidence and career. All because his supporting cast (the exception is Jackson) is not very good.

We need a QB. No doubt in my mind.

But, I really believe we need to address the WR situation first. The problem is, will there be a receiver worth a 1st or 2nd pick? I have no idea.

This is where I have to put my full trust in the Rams staff to figure this out. In previous years, I wouldn't of held much hope that we'd fill the right position with the right person. But I think with Devaney, it will work out.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

It's hard to say what our biggest need really is, there are so many of them. As of now I would say the punter position is fairly solid and JL at MLB looks great, after that anything is open for improvement. I can't see the Rams falling below the 3rd pick in 2010, with that being said the QB class this year is too good not to take one in the first round IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

live4ramin is offline Registered User

A good defensive tackle to play along with Ryan. And a decent corner who can tackle and play football, as opposed to merely a track star.
    "The horror"

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bulger is done in my book.

We need a QB and we might as well go with a rookie, either now or the beginning of next season.

This is not a bash Bulger post but I know in my heart of hearts if we had a better QB at the helm we wouldn't be 0-7. It's one thing to have "ZERO" wins but it's another when the offense can't get in the end zone time after time.
    There's always one excuse or another but the bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that the QB has to lead us and Bulger isn't doing that.

"Better days are coming"

GO RAMS!!!

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    In 2007 they were 3-13. One of the three wins, Bulger didn't play.
    As I recall the defense was horrible and was most of the issue.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    You might want to take a look at Bulger's stats. 2007 and 2008 are routinely called abnormal stats for him and outside of his control. 2009 was supposed to be his return to the true norm of greatness.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    And Linebaka's horrendous red zone play calling. Remember Drew Bennett everyone? He was the designated target in the Red zone. Also our offensive line resembled swiss cheese.

If we go into next year starting a rookie QB, especially one taken in the first round, this team wins 2 games MAX. Probably fewer. Depends on how many points the defense scores. At least we have the Raiders and Chiefs on the schedule next year. Additionally, we'd probably only succeed in breaking their spirit and ruining their development. But that's ok because Little Throw Sheep and his sub-.500 record against Notre Dame's cupcake schedule has will or something.

/Never mind that a first round quarterback would command more than what we are paying Bulger. Who's the thief again?

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    I love how everyone says how bad our wr's are but also follows it up by saying we need a new qb. I really wish we had traded our next three drafts for Matt Cassell because he's a stud. (sarcasm off) How much of a stud is Cassell now that he is on a team with about the same skill level as the Rams? I mean I remember a lot of you guys saying how he was great and how even though he was getting sacks he was still able to make plays. Well how does he look now? I'll answer that for you, his stats are almost identical to Bulger's and Bulger missed 3 games basically. So I guess the point I'm getting at is why if Cassell was so great in New England why is he so average now? The way people talk Bulger is the only qb in the NFL that should have to succeed with little to no talent around him. People explained how Cassell was often sacked but still put up great stats for te Patriots, and Bulger should be able to do the same. Sure maybe Cassell just got gun shy just like Bulger and now he is terrible and needs to be replaced too. On the other hand maybe just maybe does the talent around you make a HUGE difference?

I saw two interceptions where the wr ran and incorrect route and Bulger will take the blame for both of them. How many wr's dropped the ball today? The drops were drive killers to by the way. There were at least four drops in the first half alone.

The only reason I bring this up is because next years qb's coming out in the draft in my opinion suck. I wouldnt draft Bradford,Mccoy,Tebow at all no matter what round they fall to. Why not stick with Bulger one more year take the best player in the draft next year. Pick up a young qb lower in the draft other than the three walking busts listed above. This team has a ton of needs, one glaring one at wr. Avery doesnt impress me at all.

Bulger is not as bad when he actually has a little help around him. Some say that Bulger causes his own sacks and he should get rid of the ball sooner. Get rid of it to where double coverage? Should he just throw it up for grabs and hope one of his wr's even notices the ball is in the air? It's pretty damn obvious and after seeing how Cassell's production went in the dumper when he went from a talented team to a terrible one that throwing a young qb behind center next year for this Rams team will get us no further than we are now. We have a guy that can succeed in this league even though most of the experts on this board think he cant.

We are going to be in cap hell after picking in the top five for the 3rd year straight. If we dont win the toilet bowl next week vs the Lions we will be picking first overall. That is if the NFL gets a new contract in order before next season. If it's an uncapped yea than this could all be a moot point we can just shell out tons of jack and buy a winner. Somehow I doubt even the new regime wil be doing that. This of course is all just my opinion, but I dont think any guy in next years draft could even play how Bulger has played this year.

I agree that Bulger does need to be replaced eventually, but why not wait one more year where maybe we can get a guy who can play the game? I don't wat the next Ryan Leaf as Bulger's replacement. I think we will be better off not drafting a qb in the first round next year.
    I agree and I would not draft any of those guys either, maybe if the team just came out and told Bulger we want you here next year he would get his head nack into it,you can't tell me he doesn't know he is on his way out ,he can read all the stuff written and said about him and hear it on the radio shows,it has to make it tough to get motivated every week when you think you are a lame duck QB, I would rather have him another year than one of the guys you mentioned.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    This QB failed with Bruce and Holt as his receivers.
    I would be more willing to say he proved that it is a lot harder to complete passes while laying on your back than to say he failed.

You also have to factor coaching into that equation.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I agree that WR is our biggest need for next year, but I can't be emphatic enough when I say we don't need another rookie WR. We need veteran talent in the short-term at WR until Avery matures. We already have an immensely talented WR running the wrong routes, we don't need to further complicate the problem by throwing more uncertainty in the mix.

As for QB, Bulger may start for a couple of more years because we honestly have little choice. We should make a young QB a strong priority (not to start right away), so he can learn and mature while Bulger gets creamed. I would not want a rookie QB starting for the Rams next year, his confidence would disappear too quickly under constant assault (not to mention the injury risk being hit so much).

In the long-term, our most important position to fill is QB, and we can't be afraid to spend a high pick on the right guy for the future.

bigredman Guest

Bulger has been hurt seriously twice already this year. He's 32 years old. WE HAVE TO DRAFT A QB NOW. Stop living in the past. We are NOT just a player or two away from being competitive. Trade Bulger. Trade Jackson. Trade Long. This team needs to be blown up and start over. The successful teams have improved through trades and draft, not free agency. We need to raid talent from other teams and stockpile draft picks.
    Last edited by bigredman; -10-26-2009 at 10:47 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Bulger has been hurt seriously twice already this year. He's 32 years old. WE HAVE TO DRAFT A QB NOW. Stop living in the past. We are NOT just a player or two away from being competitive. Trade Bulger. Trade Jackson. Trade Long. This team needs to be blown up and start over. The successful teams have improved through trades and draft, not free agency. We need to raid talent from other teams and stockpile draft picks.
    Point one. Starting the rebuilding process with a QB has rarely proven to be a recipe for success in the NFL. The successful young QBs are the ones that are placed into positions with rock solid supporting casts and few demands on their talent.

Point two. Nobody trades in the NFL nowadays. And we wouldn't get the value you think we'd get if we did try to trade. Of course, the WR corps this season seems to be pretty much the poster example for why keeping a veteran or two around during a rebuilding program is a good idea as well. Do you really want to go into next season with an offense consisting of a bunch of untrained neophytes at wideout, Gado, Darby, and unfortunate rookie X at tailback, and voiceless rookie victim who will not live to spend a penny of his exorbitant salary at QB? We'll be lucky if we average 5 PPG with that offense.

Point three. If you advocate trading Long, why do you want to give more draft picks to the guy who picked Long?

Point four. We cannot afford to have multiple high first round picks in today's salary cap environment.

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I can see trading Bulger and maybe even Jackson, "not saying I would" but why would we trade chris long? he is only a 2nd year pro and his value is not high right now anyway. why would we do that?
    Because he sucks. He's not strong or big enough to power rush anyone, and he's not fast enough to get by anyone. I say trade him now to a team that may think he's young and can improve, making it worth their while to give something of value in return to the Rams before more years go by and Long proves what a bust he really is.
    Last edited by bigredman; -10-26-2009 at 11:46 PM.

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Point one. Starting the rebuilding process with a QB has rarely proven to be a recipe for success in the NFL. The successful young QBs are the ones that are placed into positions with rock solid supporting casts and few demands on their talent.
    Really? Elway came to a team that sucked. Joe Montana came to a team that sucked. Marino came to a team that sucked. Jets weren't all that, and they are progressing with a rookie. Falcons were in flux...not exactly rock solid...but they are improving with a rookie. Minus one point for you.

Point two. Nobody trades in the NFL nowadays. And we wouldn't get the value you think we'd get if we did try to trade. Of course, the WR corps this season seems to be pretty much the poster example for why keeping a veteran or two around during a rebuilding program is a good idea as well. Do you really want to go into next season with an offense consisting of a bunch of untrained neophytes at wideout, Gado, Darby, and unfortunate rookie X at tailback, and voiceless rookie victim who will not live to spend a penny of his exorbitant salary at QB? We'll be lucky if we average 5 PPG with that offense.
    Did you hit your head and lose your short term memory? The Patriots have made a dynasty from trading and they did again this year. By the way, trade means not only draft picks, but getting experienced players as well. Didn't the Eagles just do that with us? Minus two more points for you. Most of the significant moves in the last two years have been trades, not free agency.

Point three. If you advocate trading Long, why do you want to give more draft picks to the guy who picked Long?
    Spags had a hand in recommending to the front office to pick up Long? Really? Devaney was not in charge of the 2008 draft. Minus three additional points for you.

Point four. We cannot afford to have multiple high first round picks in today's salary cap environment.
    Who said stockpiling first round picks? Upgrade positions of need with veteran talent or promising young talent, and get later round picks with these trades. That's minus 10 point there fella. Get back to me when you're solvent.

theodus69 Guest

Yes we really need a qb. And A wide receiver,and a pass rush and kick returner,and some new uni's cause we have went down hill almost ever since.And I said almost so don't get all freaked out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast