Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

QB Sam Bradford going through normal growing pains

QB Sam Bradford going through normal growing pains
    BY BILL COATS • Thursday, August 5, 2010 12:05 am

There have been some errant throws, some botched assignments, some missed reads. So goes the life of a rookie quarterback early in his first NFL training camp.

It's no different for the Rams' Sam Bradford, despite his draft status — No. 1 overall — and contract status — $78 million over six years, the most lucrative rookie deal in league history.

While emphasizing that Bradford has "done nothing to discourage me," coach Steve Spagnuolo has noted the youngster's expected growing pains.

"He's had some good throws and some bad ones. He threw one into the wind (Wednesday) that kind of floated up there. I'm sure he wanted that one back," Spagnuolo said. "I do like the fact that when he makes a mistake, he's not very happy and he shows it. He's got some feisty to him. I think that's good in a quarterback."

Although he still takes most of his snaps with the second-team offense, Bradford is undergoing a crash course with the regular-season opener just over five weeks off.

"We've put a lot (of the offensive scheme) in every day," Bradford said. "And the more we put in, the more I have to think. ... Once we get everything in and I've repped everything, I think I'll feel more comfortable. I think it's just a matter of me really adjusting to the speed and all the different variations can that occur in a play."

Confronted with a practice period Sunday that featured a number of unfamiliar blitz packages, Bradford acknowledged that his head was swimming a bit.

"All the different blitz pickups ... obviously that just takes time and experience. That's something I need to work on. I don't want to get myself killed," he said. "But I think once I get in the film room, study a little bit more on our protections, how they work, how the blitzes work, what we can protect and what we need (to check out of), then I think that'll be very helpful for me."

Don't get the impression, however, that Bradford is troubled by his step-by-step progression. He's having all kinds of fun, he said.

"Oh, yeah. It's a blast. I think this is the best job in the world," he said. "I get to come to the football facility, I get to go to meetings, I get to play football.

"I wouldn't trade places with anyone."

typo troubles

For a brief period Tuesday, Bradford's 32-page contract was disapproved by the league office. The problem was "just a typo," said Kevin Demoff, the Rams' executive vice president of football operations.

"It made something unclear," Demoff said. "They took the typo out and it was good."

The contract was approved later the same day.

bartell day-to-day

The Rams got a scare Tuesday evening when their top cornerback, Ron Bartell, crumpled to the ground with a right-ankle injury. But X-rays were negative, and it's been diagnosed as a low-ankle sprain.

"It's a day-to-day thing," Spagnuolo said. "That was really good news, because the way he fell down, you thought it was worse than it came out."

smith gets work in

Tackle Jason Smith, who had been limited to individual work because of a fractured toe, took a step forward Wednesday. With the players in full pads in the 100-degree heat, Smith participated in a 9-on-7 run-blocking drill, a demanding workout for the linemen.

"We're just kind of going day by day, just kind of going off what (the toe) feels like that day and letting that (determine) what we do that day," Smith said. "Today it felt good. I was able to do the things I was asked to do. I was real excited about it."

RAM-BLINGS

Fullback Eric Butler was added to the injury list with a sore shoulder. Others sitting out Wednesday were Bartell, cornerback Marquis Johnson (knee), guard Mark Lewis (ankle), defensive tackle Darell Scott (hamstring) and defensive end C.J. Ah You (hamstring). ... Two practices are scheduled for today, starting at 8:15 a.m. and 3 p.m.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: QB Sam Bradford going through normal growing pains

Although he still takes most of his snaps with the second-team offense, Bradford is undergoing a crash course with the regular-season opener just over five weeks off.
    This makes me wonder how his familiarity with the WRs will be affected. I'm assuming the bulk of the WRs, if not all 10, are being rotated through. If so, Bradford will have some degree of familiarity with all of them. However, if not........could affect the WR race.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod