hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

The QB for the Shurmur system

Hey Guys,

Ive been thinking lately looking at our new system during the pre-season, we need a guy with somewhat of an arm. and some great accuracy. So i have some questions regarding the quarterback position.

Say the slate was wiped clean, and this was the new system you guys knew we were getting.

here are two questions.

1) If you could choose any quarterback to play on the rams, who would fit the best in this current system at QB? And why?

2) If Bulger was not to produce this season, and we dropped him, who could we potentially get to fit the starting role? considering next years draft, and FA, or some kind of miracle trade. And why?

Boller has proved a capable back up, but just say Marc resigns with the team as a back up QB. What would some scenarios be for the second question?
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -09-02-2009 at 02:18 AM.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Re: The QB for the Shurmur system

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    Hey Guys,

Ive been thinking lately looking at our new system during the pre-season, we need a guy with somewhat of an arm. and some great accuracy. So i have some questions regarding the quarterback position.

Say the slate was wiped clean, and this was the new system you guys knew we were getting.

here are two questions.

1) If you could choose any quarterback to play on the rams, who would fit the best in this current system at QB? And why?

2) If Bulger was not to produce this season, and we dropped him, who could we potentially get to fit the starting role? considering next years draft, and FA, or some kind of miracle trade. And why?

Boller has proved a capable back up, but just say Marc resigns with the team as a back up QB. What would some scenarios be for the second question?

1) Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady
    all are so good that the system wouldnt matter, they would light things up. However, if i had to pick a QB for the system, it would be Donovan McNabb. The guy has played in a similar system for a while and despite all the criticism he gets from the Philly crowd and media, he is actually a very good QB.

If i wanted a young QB in the league, then i would want Aaron Rodgers or Jay Cutler

2) There arent going to be many players in the FA market better than Bulger. Teams just dont let decent QBs walk if they can avoid it. The best you might get is someone like Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels, but even they may stick around in Minny for when Favre retires (again). After that we are looking at backups, people like Billy Volek, Vince Young, Chris Redman, Daunte Culpepper. No one you would really want leading your team, and no one that will play better than Marc Bulger IMO

However, the Vick situation in Philly is interesting, because if McNabb gets driven out of town by the emergence of Vick or if he finally has enough of the Philly fans, he would easily be the best QB available

I was thinking Donovan this whole time also. It seemed as if, someone who could scramble and get the ball out quick for this style offense would be great. McNabb has run Shurmur's type of offense before.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If McNabb is the answer for #1, that's fine. But I hope McNabb, at 33 years old, wouldn't be anyone's answer for #2. The Rams need someone to groom for the future. McNabb at his age and price would be nothing but a stop-gap, not a long-term solution.

My answers...

I assume we're talking about quarterbacks currently in the league and not all-time players. Aside from the obvious ones, I think Matt Ryan could bring a lot to this kind of offense. He's still young so he wouldn't be asked to do too much in a power running kind of scheme. He has great accuracy as a passer and makes quick decisions on where to go with the football. And I think, as an athlete, he's a bit underrated. No one's going to confuse him with Steve Young on the move, but I think he's capable of buying some time when needed. So in this fantasy world, if I could pick anyone from the rest of the league, I'd take Ryan for his youth, upside, accuracy, decision-making, and underrated athleticism.

Assuming Bulger does not produce this season and is cut, he'd likely be the best FA quarterback on the market. I think the only other potentially available candidates that would be of interest would be Jason Campbell, Tarvaris Jackson, and Kellen Clemons. Thus, I think it's unlikely that the Rams find a long-term starting QB in free agency.

That leaves the draft, where there are a couple of intriguing possibilities. They could look to one of the above-mentioned guys to be a stop-gap starter until the draft pick is ready to take over. Certainly they'd be cheaper than what Marc would cost the club, although I imagine the Rams would still have quite a bit of dead money to account for if they did cut Bulger, so it's not like they'd be entirely rid of him.

In the draft, obviously a guy like Sam Bradford becomes intriguing. I don't know much about what he's capable of doing on the move, but the guy is one of the most accurate passers in college football right now. He's able to make quick decisions and deliver the ball accurately, which would fit nicely with what the Rams are trying to do. He lacks elite arm strength, but in this system, he probably wouldn't need it. The problem is, if you're not picking first overall, then you're probably missing out on Bradford. A lot can change between now and the draft, but you have to view him as the frontrunner for that pick at the moment IMO.

One person whom I think has intriguing physical tools for this system would be Colt McCoy, but I really just don't see a very successful NFL quarterback when I look at him. He has the mobility but I just really question how well he would play outside their system and whether or not he has the kind of accuracy you'd want in a passer. A lot of people view McCoy as one of the top QB prospects available in the coming draft class, but sign me up as unconvinced so far.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Nick, what do you think of Tim Tebow?

wow awesome nick. nice reply, Tim Tebow, I think he could be very good, Just can't rookie fizzle when he comes in.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -09-02-2009 at 09:40 PM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    He'll be a great fullback. If he insists on being a QB, his ceiling is probably "Trent Dilfer".

Mooselini Guest

Good kid. Great athlete and awesome individual.

NFL player? Look at Alex Smith. That's the potential Tebow has in the NFL.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think he has much upside as an NFL quarterback. But he's a great college quarterback.

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One person whom I think has intriguing physical tools for this system would be Colt McCoy, but I really just don't see a very successful NFL quarterback when I look at him. He has the mobility but I just really question how well he would play outside their system and whether or not he has the kind of accuracy you'd want in a passer. A lot of people view McCoy as one of the top QB prospects available in the coming draft class, but sign me up as unconvinced so far.
    Of course it's fair to be unconvinced by any quarterback prospect coming out of the draft. History tells us that. Look at how many had the "NFL look" about them only to be busts, and those that don't quite fit the mold end up being some of the best who ever played. Accuracy comes with practice and confidence in knowing your receivers, knowing the routes, and ability to read defense. This kid no doubt has much to learn once he is in the NFL, but I see in him a football player, not just an arm. That's what makes him the must draft choice for the Rams next year! (and well, there's that whole Irish thing too)

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

#1 - Right now today this season excluding Bulger......I'd want Brady, P. Manning, McNabb, Warner, Pennington, in that order. However, if we're talking about building the franchise for the future......I'd want Rodgers, Ryan, Edwards, Schaub, Campbell, in that order.

#2 - If Bulger doesn't work out, draft Bradford and build around him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Colt McCoy

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Colt McCoy
    Man, talk about a 4 pillars guy! He certainly fits the mold, doesn't he?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Man, talk about a 4 pillars guy! He certainly fits the mold, doesn't he?
    We don't have a "win in the clutch" pillar? Shame.