Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

  1. #31
    mark.a is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When you look at McNabb and Elway, you have to consider that they played a lot longer than Rodgers has. Certainly, as QBs age, they become less inclined to run.

    As for Tarkenton, he was a scrambling QB who (perhaps more than any other QB I've seen) avoided running past the line of scrimmage.

    The rest of your questions are too idiotic to warrant a response.
    Aaron Rodgers and Donovan McNabb each went to the Super Bowl in their sixth season in the NFL (2004 season for McNabb, 2010 season for Rodgers). Each of them were approximately the same age.

    Aaron Rodgers

    64 rush att
    475 pass att
    7.42 r/p ratio

    Donovan McNabb

    41 rush att
    469 pass att
    11.44 r/p ratio

    And I'm sorry you feel part of my post was "idiotic", but there's really no reason to get personal. We're just talking football, here.
    Last edited by mark.a; -09-16-2012 at 01:02 AM.


  2. #32
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,822
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by mark.a View Post
    Aaron Rodgers and Donovan McNabb each went to the Super Bowl in their sixth season in the NFL (2004 season for McNabb, 2010 season for Rodgers). Each of them were approximately the same age.
    You provided career numbers, which is what I was responding to.

    As for your "same age" argument, you've conveniently forgotten the fact that Rodgers spent his first few years on the bench, while McNabb was a full time starter by his second year.

    But, more than anything, I'm having a hard time figuring out what your point is, given that I never made any comment about McNabb (who, by the way, never won a Super Bowl and is hardly what I'd call an "all-time great") in the first place.

  3. #33
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,665
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Your right. Its my fault for not anticipating your ridiculous argument.
    Nah, but it is kinda ridiculous that you can't simply acknowledge you goofed in claiming designed runs were examples of a quarterback bailing out of a pass play and evidence of a proclivity to tuck and run when pressured. It's okay to embrace your humanity, my friend. We all make mistakes.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!



  4. #34
    mark.a is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In Tampa, his pass/run ratio was 2.34 to 1. When he ultimately become the starter in SF, his ratio was in the range of 6-7 to 1.
    I'm not sure where you are getting your stats, but according to NFL.com, Steve Young attempted 501 passes in Tampa Bay, and attempted 114 runs. This over a 19 game span, for a pass/run ratio of 4.39.

    His total pass/run ratio over 169 career games is 5.75.

    So, yes, he ran a bit more in Tampa, though he played much longer in SF. Are you certain this had to do with Bill Walsh's scheme, and not the fact that Tampa Bay had a horrible team, with nobody getting open to throw to? I would posit that when QB's have terrible options at receiver (as opposed to the weapons he had while in SF), they are more tempted to tuck and run, across the board.

  5. #35
    mark.a is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    33
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    But, more than anything, I'm having a hard time figuring out what your point is, given that I never made any comment about McNabb (who, by the way, never won a Super Bowl and is hardly what I'd call an "all-time great") in the first place.
    LOL. The point was yours, actually. I pointed out that by the logic of your post (pass/run ratio defining a "running QB"), Rodgers would be closer to a "running QB" than McNabb. You responded with:

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    When you look at McNabb and Elway, you have to consider that they played a lot longer than Rodgers has. Certainly, as QBs age, they become less inclined to run.
    In trying to nail down your definition of a "running QB", I wondered if you truly believed Rodgers fit the "running QB" moniker more closely than McNabb. If you do, that's fine. No problem.

  6. #36
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,822
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Young's ratio in SF was 6 to 1.

    As for McNabb, he went from a 3.66 ratio in his first two years as a starter to 11.44 in his Super Bowl year. Pretty good argument for a drop back passer approach.

  7. #37
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,822
    Rep Power
    168

    Re: QBs run for chatter, stay in the pocket when it matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nah, but it is kinda ridiculous that you can't simply acknowledge you goofed in claiming designed runs were examples of a quarterback bailing out of a pass play and evidence of a proclivity to tuck and run when pressured. It's okay to embrace your humanity, my friend. We all make mistakes.
    I didn't goof at all. Rather, in your attempt to be a know-it-all, you're being an unmitigated ass.

    I didn't mention that a QB who runs the option is a running QB rather than a drop-back passer because only a complete moron would need that explained to him.

    But since you've elected to completely torpedo this thread (despite your apparent agreement with my actual point), I think I'll go ahead and close this now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: -06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
  2. Chatter in the DC area
    By Dominating D in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: -09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
  3. Pocket Guide
    By RAMMAN68 in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-28-2006, 03:45 PM
  4. Bulger swaggers in pocket
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -09-08-2005, 06:41 PM
  5. new ClanRam Chatter Room
    By RamDez in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: -07-15-2004, 09:42 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •