mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quarterback Depth, How Good Is The Rams?

Taking a look at the team's roster, it's obvious that the St.Louis Rams are set with second year quarterback Sam Bradford starting at the helm. But, what about the depth? Seriously, that's not a rhetorical question. What will this offense look like it if A.J. Feeley has to take command for a few snaps or for a few games? I will even openly admit to having very little knowledge of A.J's career except that he seems like a definite unknown factor. An unknown factor that was brought in to be a veteran presence to teach the young first rounder a playbook that is no longer apart of the system.

Lewis looks like a nice change of pace third string quarterback, even though I hated to see Null go. So I'm seriously asking, what kind of drop is there to expect if QB "A" goes down and "B" has to take over? Do you honestly think that this team still be able to compete or do we go shopping next year?

Looking forwards your thoughts.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -07-06-2011 at 08:58 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Quarterback Depth, How Good Is The Rams?

I'd like to nab Keith Null back (assuming he's not too bitter towards us showing him the door) but I think Thaddeus Lewis will be our 3rd stringer and who knows, if he shows a lot in the preseason, he might be promoted to be our 2nd stringer since AJ Feeley is a WCO receiver unless he somehow shows a steep learning curve in McD's offense.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Valid point mikhal. This could come to haunt us if Bradford isnt protected again this season. Bradford took way too many hits for my liking, in a offense that was designed so Bradford could get the ball out quickly.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

It IS an interesting point since it's my understanding that Feeley was brought in specifically to be the training wheels for Sam & this offense when it was going to be Philly style WCO. I think he had a two year deal & he did handle the crowning of King Sam with considerable dignity but I don't know whether he's the best guy available to back-up in McD's system.

I wonder what Orton's situation is in Denver under the new regime. Didn't he have his best year under McD ? Are they going to let him duke it out with Captain Charisma?

It's been so long that I can barely remember what Lewis was all about but was he really a change of pace from Sam or more Sam-Lite; mobile & strong-armed ?

Keenum is offline Registered User

Lewis really impressed me in the preseason, but I would feel more comfortable for now with a veteran backing up Bradford. Feeley has had his moments in the past, and I would be fine with him if we needed a guy to start 3-4 games or something like that. If Bradford went down with an injury (hopefully not the case!!!) early in the year and was out for much of the season I think we'd really have to look at bringing in someone else, perhaps through a trade. McNabb comes to mind.

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

I like Lewis, but not @ the No. 2 spot...A.J. was, as all have mentioned, a WCO product, here to "school the noob" as it were...well, that is no longer the situation. I DEFINITELY think a solid no.2 QB is a priority on our FA shopping list. IMHO...

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Is there a guy named Bulger available? Hey, he backed up Flacco last season.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Or Kyle Orton - looks like a match made in heaven to me.
    I always thought he got a bad rap, or at least never received the credit he was due.
    Way better than Feely, (and I got nothing against AJ).

(AKA, I concur with Azul - my bad - missed your reference).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Or Kyle Orton - looks like a match made in heaven to me.
    Maybe, but it's said the Broncos want a second-round pick in compensation for him, and even if he were to hit free agency, he'll have other options where he could start or at least compete to start. I don't see the Rams as a very desirable destination for him, though I agree he'd be a nice option from the Rams' perspective.

MB10HOF is offline Registered User

Kyle Orton and Marc Bulger will BOTH be STARTING somewhere this season. Book em both, dano.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Maybe, but it's said the Broncos want a second-round pick in compensation for him, and even if he were to hit free agency, he'll have other options where he could start or at least compete to start. I don't see the Rams as a very desirable destination for him, though I agree he'd be a nice option from the Rams' perspective.
    Well said - sometimes I drink too much.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

I SAY WE TRADE BRADFORD AND A 2ND ROUND PICK TO DETRIOT FOR STAFFORD. WHY DOESN'T ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -RamsOwn55

RuffRams is offline Registered User

I think AJ Feeley is good enough for the upcoming year. I would like Keith Null like someone said earlier. This off-season or anytime during next season is not the time to go shopping for backup QB. We have other needs and holes to plugup. For the time being Feeley is perfect for backup QB. We can change that up next offseason. I am also with the consensus that Lewis is perfect and different style qb for 3rd string.

And as for Bulger coming back, I say we close the book on that.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MB10HOF View Post
    Kyle Orton and Marc Bulger will BOTH be STARTING somewhere this season. Book em both, dano.
    I think so too. QB is not so abundant in the NFL right now. I see Orton definitely starting next year. I also think that Bulger will go to the team that doesn't end up with Orton, McNabb, Kolb, or Hasselback. And some team will try to start him out for a year or 2 as a stop-gap.