throwback week

Coach_Largent Guest

A question about the identity of the Rams ...

... I have read a lot this year about the Rams trying to shed the misnomer of the "finesse" team.

Personnally, I think it's a crap tag put on your team because you run a basketball on grass offense, like Joe Tiller.

I have been wondering how you guys feel about post game comments made by Martz, Holt, Bruce and Warner that intimated that the Saints were hitting them with cheap shots or brutalizing them.

I read Bruce's report about getting his pinky stepped on and Holt and Martz talking about Holt getting blasted by Bellamy after an INT. Same situation for Warner. I have been trying to talk to fans outside the scope of the Saints/Rams - Vikings, Cowboys, Packers, and Titans fans around here in large numbers.

How is the team going to shed the image of a finesse team, if after every brutal football game with the Saints or Giants or teams of that ilk, they go to the media with their problems or point fingers ??

Truly, if Bruce doesn't want to get his hand stepped on while going for a chop block ( which is legal - I know that - I coach it ... ) then he needs to protect himself, football is a brutal game. Get off the carpet if you don't want to get stepped on.

You see the public perception of the Rams is tainted by these comments and Martz's comments about it further validate him as a "finesse" coach. Sure, it may not be true, I think it is far from a finesse defense, but these comments are only compounding a public perception.

So how do you guys feel about it ? Dez ? Jorge ? MsWistRam ? HornedHell ?? RAMbleOn ??? anyone ??

The tag of finesse gets thrown around a lot, and if you want to shed that image, or tag, then you play the game as it was and you move on. No one was using the finesse tag again or talking about the Saints "bullying" the Rams until all this finger pointing came around. Martz and his vocal leaders are hurting their chances of changing that perception with every word, and I feel sorry for Archuletta, A.Williams, Wistrom and Herring. These guys aren't finesse players, and yet the tag is growing, not waning, in it's use when describing the Rams.

Any thoughts ??

Looking forward to the next game ......

RAMble On Guest
    Lets break it down by offense and defense.

First, here are the synonyms for the word finesse: Skill, flair, grace, elegance, poise and assurance. Do these words define our offense? YES. Will our offense ever be associated with the words bruising, smash mouth, deliberate or pounding? NO. That is the reality as long as we play the game the way we have been playing it. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. We are winning games. You have to play to the talent level on your team. We can play smash mouth offense and win but last time I checked there was no reason to change. I guarantee teams like Tampa and Tennessee would trade their “smash mouth” talent level on offense for our “finesse” talent level in a heartbeat.

You are right about the comments about the cheap shots adding to the perception that we are a finesse team. I am saying that even if the comments weren’t made, the perception would remain. Perception is reality. We have a finesse offense. We should accept it. Will it really matter when we are on the podium with the Lombardi Trophy? NO.

Regarding the defense, what team has had a successful finesse defense? I can’t think of any. When I think about a good defense I think about “The Fearsome Foursome” and “The Iron Curtain”. There was definitely no finesse associated with those great defenses. To say the entire Rams team is a finesse team is doing our defense a disservice. I don’t know what we have to do on defense to move the word finesse far away. Break legs? Dish out a few concussions? I hope not. Archulleta broke his thumb in the first series and played out the game. Mark Field injured his ribs early and played out the game. I hope in time, maybe even by the end of the season, the public will realize our defense and the word finesse are worlds apart.

My 2 cents. Take it or leave it. Just win baby.

I would much rather be associated with a finesse team that wins than a smashmouth team that loses.
    Last edited by RAMble On; -10-30-2001 at 02:30 PM.

Coach_Largent Guest
    Originally posted by RAMble On

Regarding the defense, what team has had a successful finesse defense? I can’t think of any. When I think about a good defense I think about “The Fearsome Foursome” and “The Iron Curtain”. There was definitely no finesse associated with those great defenses. To say the entire Rams team is a finesse team is doing our defense a disservice.

I hope in time, maybe even by the end of the season, the public will realize our defense and the word finesse are worlds apart.

My 2 cents. Take it or leave it. Just win baby.
    I'll take your .02.

The later-Landry era Cowboys (post Bob Lilly etc .. , and not to slight Randy White and Charlie Waters ) and the invent of the "flex" Defensive line were pretty much a bend don't break finesse D. That is the only out-n-out example I can think of off hand.

I was really just curious about how you felt about what the perceptions are and how you felt about the team's words.

I am not suprised that you , RAMbleOn could care less, and realize W's are the only goal.( Good fan. Good posts. ) I also know that there was a lot of print and a lot of soundbites from the Rams about dashing that image coming into this year, and even this game.... I just think Martz and a few vocal O players are keeping the D from getting the rep and recognition they deserve, and as long as they get on the podium after every slobberknocker, it will stay the perception, don't you think ? No matter the validity......

It's just something weird to watch from the outside ............

Thank you for the reply .......... take it easy .................

RAMble On Guest
    The things being said by the offense is not helping the situation, that is for sure. But again, I'm not sure the publics perception will ever change. We do play a finesse type offense.

Maybe Isaac Bruce should have the pinky finger amputated a la Ronnie Lott.

Ah..... Landry. Now there was a guy I hated (being a Rams fan getting beat in the playoffs each year by Landry's team). But you know I always respected him.

Coach_Largent Guest
    Originally posted by RAMble On
    The things being said by the offense is not helping the situation, that is for sure. But again, I'm not sure the publics perception will ever change. We do play a finesse type offense.

Maybe Isaac Bruce should have the pinky finger amputated a la Ronnie Lott.

Ah..... Landry. Now there was a guy I hated (being a Rams fan getting beat in the playoffs each year by Landry's team). But you know I always respected him.
    1.agreed probably will never change

2. LOL . Lott was a pretty tough *******. Man could he hit. That finger was NASTY.

3. Landry ?? My dad is coach as well and I grew up HATING his brand of football. I did however have the pleasure of meeting him one time and heard him speak twice. He was a very nice man. I think he was a good person. I of course still hate his coaching style,and HATE the Cowboys ( toughest part of growing up/ living in Texas is the heat , second are Cowboy fans. If the 'Boys are good then they pass the heat right up. what a complete bunch a jackaxes.)

What's your impression of Tommy Polley, why did I not see him on the field more, and what do you think of Damione Lewis ... is he going to pan out or is he a bit too lazy ??? Brian Young really is playing his heart out from what I';ve seen, I didn't know if his game would transfer from UTEP to the NFL, but he looks like a damn good DT in the making .......

RAMble On Guest
    Tommy Polley will be an impact player in the league. Not sure why we havn't seen him more. Coaching staff wanting the LB core to gel? Not too sure. We will be seeing more of Polley with Davis out for at least 4 weeks and possibly being gone for the rest of the year.

Lewis was being picked before the season as a deffensive rookie of the year. He had a great early preseason. Kolar and Martz went with Young as the starter. His performance has exceeded most folks expectations. The first year in the league has to be tough. That Sophmore year, you either take giant steps up or accept a role as a backup. Young took the steps up. You gotta love the fact that it is about results with Kolar and Martz. Bottom line with Lewis....If Kolar can't motivate, I'm not sure who else can. Time will tell. He's no Sapp, but who is?

I like the concept of rotating the line as well. Keeping the guys fresh has paid off now and will definately at the end of the season. It also gives backup guys a chance to play in game situations. It's like Hockey. I'm not sure how many teams are doing this to the extent that the Rams are, but it is working.

All in all I think the Rams have done a great job identifying talent the last few years. How long is Charley Army under contract?

Nice to have you here Coach. You know your stuff. It has been good to get another (non Ram fan) perpective.

RAMble On Guest
    By the way coach, at the end of the article in the New Orleans paper referring to the step on Isaac’s hand Martz said, "But those things happen all the time in this league."

As far as Martz sending in tape regarding the hits on Warner and Holt….Martz is not the first coach to follow this process. As far as I know it happens a lot. The press and the Saint fans are just making a big deal out of it.

The root of the issue here is that Saint fans don’t like our team or coaches and we don’t like their team or coaches. You are going to blow up our issues and we are going to blow up your issues.