throwback week

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Question ... about Kennedy??

As many of you probably know, I have given up on JK, however my opinion has nothing to do with how Jimmy plays this year. So my question is: If JK for whatever reason has a very good year and the Rams have interest in retaining him without breaking the bank, what would be the best way to do it? Obviously there is the franchise tag, but let's assume that would be breaking the bank. Is it possible to tender him as a restricted free agent, and let other teams do the negotiating after which we could match, or decide not to match and receive a draft pick? Or is it the franchise tag or nothing ...??

smizzhfx Guest

Re: Question ... about Kennedy??

Lets see if he does play up to his expectations this year, and then decide if he's worth the money.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    As many of you probably know, I have given up on JK, however my opinion has nothing to do with how Jimmy plays this year. So my question is: If JK for whatever reason has a very good year and the Rams have interest in retaining him without breaking the bank, what would be the best way to do it? Obviously there is the franchise tag, but let's assume that would be breaking the bank. Is it possible to tender him as a restricted free agent, and let other teams do the negotiating after which we could match, or decide not to match and receive a draft pick? Or is it the franchise tag or nothing ...??
    To answer your question Maui, Kennedy will be an Unrestricted FA at the end of the year. Therefore, if there is no extension in place during the season, he (like Pickett and Lewis last year) will be free to sign where he pleases.

I don't know that the FO and the fans are on the same page with Kennedy, but assuming the fans are right (which can be a dangerous assumption in a lot of cases), then there is no point in re-signing him anyway. However, if Kennedy has a solid year, some team with more cap space (we have to get Bulger and Jackson extended) will offer a bigger ransom for him than the Rams will offer, especially if some combo of Carriker/Ryan/Jackson shows glimmers of hope at NT.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As per your question of a restricted free agent, no, that is impossible. Restricted free agents are players who signed three year contracts upon being drafted(typically 2nd-5th or so rounders) and finish them up. I'm not sure if they become restricted if the contracts are for less than three years.

In any case, since Kennedy was a first rounder and signed I believe a six year deal(he has 5 years of experience in any case) he will become an unrestricted free agent unless we franchise him, which he better be the defensive player of the year if we even consider that one.