Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Question about Laurinaitis

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Question about Laurinaitis

To say we all expected a bit more from Laurinaitis at this point in his career is pretty obvious. I had hoped he would have developed into an elite MLB...which he has not. He is a solid MLB that does his job in a very technical and disciplined way, but he is not yet elite and may never be.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

People could make the same argument for J Lau that they make for Chris Long; they're both pretty good players who are great team leaders and show up ready to work every day. They might not ever make a Pro Bowl, but we can have a lot worse players than those two

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    IMO JL in not spectacular and most likely will not ever make pro bowl/all pro status but he is a GOOD player and provides a steady dose of consistent football play. With Alec and hopefully another above pay grade player, Rams can have a formidable corps of LB's.......I do believe this is an area whereby our nemesis in the NFC West have the upper hand......
    I think you make a valid point here. Laurinaitis' first year in the league he didn't have the supporting cast that he has now. Ogletree and Dunbar are a lot more talented than the LBs the Rams had years ago with Vobora, Diggs, and Lenon. Hopefully the Rams can add one more really talented LB and Laurinaitis can have his flaws a bit more concealed.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I don't think JL (the apple) is that big a step down from the oranges. I also don't think the sole reason for the run defense improvement was Quinn. But, I do think JL is a bit pricey. And I do really like that you have to kidnap him to get him to take time off.
    Semper Fi!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    This is what both players average over their careers:

Willis: 15.1 games, 130.8 tackles, 2.9 sacks, 7.1 PDF, 1 INT, 2.3 FF
    JLau: 16 games, 126.8 tackles, 2.4 sacks, 6.2 PDF, 1.8 INT, 0.2 FF

Willis is clearly a better player, and that's with just basic statistics. Willis is arguably the best player in the league. And just like Mike said James' stats took a hit because Ogletree came in and played spectacular, Willis' stats took a massive hit too considering the fact that he plays next to the best ILB in the league. Yes, the two best LB's in the league play next to each other, not to mention another one of the best players in the league (Aldon Smith) is right next to them... There are only so many stats to go around.
    So based on the career stats you have posted. I'll use one category, tackles, to compare the per game stats.

Willis averages 8.66 tackles per game
    Lauranitis avgs 7.93 tackles per game

Is this really a big difference? As you stated "Willis is clearly the better player".

I agree Willis is the better player but the stats are very close.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    So based on the career stats you have posted. I'll use one category, tackles, to compare the per game stats.

Willis averages 8.66 tackles per game
    Lauranitis avgs 7.93 tackles per game

Is this really a big difference? As you stated "Willis is clearly the better player".

I agree Willis is the better player but the stats are very close.
    I'm going to post 2 sets of stats of a certain two players (CB's) from 2009:

16 games, 40 tackles, 16 PDF, 9 INT's, 117 yards, 1 FF
    16 games, 54 tackles, 31 PDF, 6 INT's, 121 yards, 1 TD

This comparison is between one of the most overrated players in the league and one of the best (most would say he is) the best at his position, yet their stats are not so indifferent.

Stats NEVER tell the whole story.

(Top Stats belong to Asante Samuel, bottom stats to Darrelle Revis).

THE DREAM TEAM

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I believe he has regressed for whatever reasons. Now I'm not saying he isn't good anymore, he was simply better when he was younger. He made more stand-out plays and was continuously around the ball. It seems Ogletree is ready to overtake him.

There is no comparison. At this pace, Willis is headed for the Hall of Fame. James has yet to make a pro bowl...

1. See, you can't even give a legitimate reason to why he's regressed even after all of this conversation. You mention not enough stand out plays even after someone points out to you that he's had more this year than in previous years, and more this year than Patrick Willis. Sorry, your gut just isn't going to cut it for justifying why you think he's regressed.

2. This wasn't ever meant to be a comparison between Willis and Laurainitis, so I have no idea why it keeps coming back to it. The poster asked for an evaluation of Laurinaitis but you use career stats for the two to say Laurainitis has regressed? That doesn't make any sense.

3. Saying Robert Quinn is the reason our defense was good this year is an insult to the rest of the team.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamBamThankYouMam View Post
    To those of you who watch more games than I, what are some of the knocks on Laurinaitis' play?
    The main complaint with JL is when he makes a play, he doesn't jump around like he just won the World Heavyweight Title from Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania. (which is ironic considering his lineage.) He simply does his job, and does it as well as any MLB in the league. He's vanilla (and that's a style statement, not a race statement), so the media passes on him. As such, fans tend to overlook him. But that's a relfection of the fans not recognizes what he brings to the table, not some laughable suggestion of regression on his part.

Are the criticisms that I have read that he is not that great of a MLB warranted or a bit overstated?
    As has become obvious in this thread.......overstated.
    RealRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The main complaint with JL is when he makes a play, he doesn't jump around like he just won the World Heavyweight Title from Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania (which is ironic considering his lineage). He simply does his job, and does it as well as any MLB in the league. He's vanilla (and that's a style statement, not a race statement), so the media passes on him. As such, fans tend to overlook him. But that's a reflection of the fans not recognizes what he brings to the table, not some laughable suggestion of regression on his part.

As has become obvious in this thread.......overstated.
    [Knocks on JL] overstated indeed. I like your definition of our MLB's blue collar performance.

Yes, there have been a few remarks here against JL (sure, we all would want to see him become the next Dick Butkus, Ray Nitschke, or other monster MLB) but IMO, those views are overstated.

I think Laurinaitis will keep getting better as a player and as a leader. -- RealRam

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

JL had 112 tackles, 85 solo tackles, 3.5 sacks, 2 interceptions and 2 fumble recoveries.

How does those raw productivity numbers stack up among MLBs/ILBs in 2013?

MLBs/ILBs with 112 or more tackles (7 per game): 19
    MLBs/ILBs with 112 tackles and 80 or more (5 per game) solo tackles: 13
    MLBs/ILBSs with 112 tackles, 80 solo tackles and 7 or more sacks/INTs/FF/fumble recoveries (combined): 8

Draw your own conclusions.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Let's not stop looking for linebackers though people.
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Let's not stop looking for linebackers though people.
    I agree that we need more depth at the position.

I was intrigued by Chris Borland, Wisconsin, who was constantly around the ball at the Senior Bowl (following what was reportedly a strong week of practice). He reminds me of London Fletcher.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I was intrigued by Chris Borland, Wisconsin, who was constantly around the ball at the Senior Bowl (following what was reportedly a strong week of practice). He reminds me of London Fletcher.
    I'm reading a lot of Zach Thomas comparisons as well.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Stats on ILBers are just as much an indicator of the talent in front of them and the scheme than the player themselves. If the DTs are swallowing up tackles or forcing runners outside, does that mean the ILB is a lesser player because his stats dropped? A 3-4 ILB with a stud NT is going to get a TON of easy tackles.

James is a solid ILB. He's not going to the pro-bowl but that doesn't mean he isn't a solid player. Comparing him to Chris Long is a very good comparison IMO.

If Long or Laurinaitis played for a playoff team and had the same stats, both probably would have made the Pro Bowl within the last three years.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast