Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Question about Laurinaitis

punahou is offline Registered User

Re: Question about Laurinaitis

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I just took a look at Patrick Willis numbers. He played two less game and had 12 less tackles then JL Had half sack less then JL. He had two FF and JL had 2 FR,,, JL had 2 INTs and Wills had none, Not sure I see JL is not making the so called splash plays like you seem to report.

Over the last three year Willis has 321 tackles and JL has 400! Wills has seven INTs JL has 9. Where Willis had out played JL is FF not even close. Maybe that is the splash plays you are talking about, But JL has played well and not on a defense with as many good players around him until the last two years. looking forward to JL focusing on big plays now that he does not have to do it alone.
    The most glaring reason that Laurenitis doesnt get the recognition he deserves is because

1) he plays for the Rams
    2) his position isnt conducive to making spash plays--- MLB is like an Olineman-- you just arent designed to make plays that make the public take notice IE Sacks and Interceptions

The SF crew and Seattle Crew benefit from being on teams that win lots-- therefore they get preferred media attention.

If they Rams were to go to the Superbowl next year, and their defense played the same or better than this year, I think you'll see a lot more attention shifted to players other than Robert Quinn.
    Last edited by punahou; -01-30-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    Rammed likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I would say there are plenty of teams in the NFL that would be thrilled to have JLau as their MLB. He hasn't regressed. He's surrounded by better talent letting him not carry the load on every defensive play. I'm astounded by anyone who thinks less of him. I've got to stop before I insult somebody.

Go Rams!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think last year people were quick to jump on him, but he didn't have that much help at Linebackers other than Dunbar. If they did call him out then, they can't now. Because, he is back to his old self with Ogletree on one side and Dunbar on the other. I think he will be fine for us in the future.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Laurinitis is a fine MLB, a quality starter and if the Rams grow in respect and stature as their young players progress he's likely to get invited to a Pro Bowl or two before its all over. He's a diagnostician and as a 4-3 MLB is very good at organizing the defense and being in the right place at the right time.

MLB is not the same position as MLB. In most 4-3 alignments, no the MLB does not 'fill a hole'. Classic 4-3 the MLB is a scrape player that is protected to go make plays. JL does that well, and is great in coverage, but doesn't blow people up like the 'great' MLBs do.

I tend to think Willis would have better stats in the Rams 4-3 scheme than he does in the 3-4 scheme, where the playmakers traditionally are the OLB and the ILB are thumpers. Considering he's a 3-4 ILB with pro bowl caliber players all around him, his stats are very good. He's a better player than Laurinitis. He's one of the best ILB ever.

So could we do better than JL55? Yep. However, there's about a dozen positions on this team that aren't as well manned as our MLB position is and we should be focusing our attention as a team there. JL is more than good enough to be not be a liability in a playoff run and is a team leader. I look forward to see him and Ogletree continue to grow together.

richtree is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RuffRams View Post
    I think last year people were quick to jump on him, but he didn't have that much help at Linebackers other than Dunbar. If they did call him out then, they can't now. Because, he is back to his old self with Ogletree on one side and Dunbar on the other. I think he will be fine for us in the future.

agreeed....we will add some youth to the 3rd LB position this year for sure....and we have JL from age 27 to 32 -- the best 5 years of his career, then when his contract is up we can move on without worry, or sign him for less.....

Our defense will be a top 5 defense for sure next season.....No doubt in my mind...and JL will be a leader

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123