berg8309 is offline Registered User

Question about moving Carriker to DE

Hey everyone. I've read this message board off and on since last year's draft. I'm not generally too much of a poster, hence this being my first post. Before I ask my question, I should note that I currently live in New Orleans, so I don't get to see the Rams play really, except for the game against the Saints, so my knowledge of how well players have done is somewhat limited.

That being said, I see a lot of people questioning whether Carriker can move to DE, saying he is too big and slow. However, I seem to recall last year people on this board questioning whether Carriker could be moved from DE to DT in the NFL, because of his size.

So what has changed in that year? Why could he play DE but not DT last year, and this year he can play DT but not DE anymore?

Truth is offline Registered User

Re: Question about moving Carriker to DE

I think the thing that concerns me the most is that the defensive coaches keep saying that he is better suited to play in the tackle position. To be honest, I'd rather we draft players to play in their natural positions. Drafting a player in the 1st round to convert them to another position bugs me.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

chipperjones is offline Registered User

I would love to get Dorsey and move Carriker outside because I think Dorsey and Clifton Ryan would be pure dominate inside. I think Carriker would do fine outside with Little. If you think about it...

DE-Carriker
    DT-Dorsey
    NT-Ryan
    DE-Little
    ----------
    DE-Adeyanju
    DT-Wroten
    NT-Glover
    DE-Hall
    ----------
    That sounds great!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Hey everyone. I've read this message board off and on since last year's draft. I'm not generally too much of a poster, hence this being my first post. Before I ask my question, I should note that I currently live in New Orleans, so I don't get to see the Rams play really, except for the game against the Saints, so my knowledge of how well players have done is somewhat limited.

That being said, I see a lot of people questioning whether Carriker can move to DE, saying he is too big and slow. However, I seem to recall last year people on this board questioning whether Carriker could be moved from DE to DT in the NFL, because of his size.

So what has changed in that year? Why could he play DE but not DT last year, and this year he can play DT but not DE anymore?
    I think alot of us are concerned that Carriker now has a full season at the NFL level playing DT and he did very well. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Congrats on your first post....keep up the good work, nice to hear from you.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I think alot of us are concerned that Carriker now has a full season at the NFL level playing DT and he did very well. If it ain't broke don't fix it?

Congrats on your first post....keep up the good work, nice to hear from you.
    I guess my question is more based upon why he could play DE last year, but can't anymore. At least more than why can he play DT. Surely those same concerns about size and speed should have been there last year when we drafted him as a DE. Are they just more an issue now that we know he is effective as a DT?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    However, I seem to recall last year people on this board questioning whether Carriker could be moved from DE to DT in the NFL, because of his size.

Those people were mistaken. There are many DTs that play at the weight he was coming out of college. If anything, the question mark was regarding nose tackle vs. three-technique. He doesn't have the wide body to hold up at NT but is a perfect fit at UT. Luckily Clifton Ryan stepped up and solved that problem for us.

:l

-jake-
    Last edited by evil disco man; -04-25-2008 at 11:22 PM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Carriker CAN play DE, but the thing is, he has already gained weight, is up to 315 pounds, and is just better suited for DT now... maybe.
    He could just move to DE and be a run stuffing DE rather than another pass rusher. If he could take up bodies, that would let Little rush more...

Wow, I just now became comfortable with us taking Dorsey. I would be very happy with him or Chris Long for sure.