throwback week

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

A question for all to consider

While I continue my down time, the following question came to me.

Is there anyone in the Rams organization who you believe is not motivated by the desire to win?

Its an important question for fans to consider because, while we must (even though we all forget this sometimes) accept the true limitations of the people who make up the team, there is no reason why fans should suffer those who don't approach the game with the motivation to win.

Players who dog it or play for stats, coaches who quit, front office executives who put $ before winning... no fan should tolerate these things.

So... I ask you: are the people who make up the Rams at least trying to win?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: A question for all to consider

One man's opinion here, but for what it's worth:

1. Players - The better their performance, the more money they make. A product of their improved performance is usually a better team performance. Therefore, I think it is in the players best interest to strive to win (or at least generate a performance conducive to winning).

2. Coaches - They are even more inclined to push for wins. They don't have stats to justify their contracts. The only thing they DO have is wins. If a coach doesn't win, he doesn't get the new contract.

3. Front Office - This group would be the most likely to phone it in when it comes to wins and losses. They are not football personnel. They are business people, which means success is not found on a scoreboard, but on a balance sheet. If income and equity grow larger, they could give a flying ferret fart what the standings look like. Not all mind you. I'm sure there are some fans in the office, but they report to the owner's pocketbook first and foremost.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just speculating, but I'm pretty sure Georgia is just as happy now as she was, say, four years ago.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

You must also take into consideration that there are so many people that are under a totally different philosophy than us fans. For many that play the game it is a "job". Not all appreciate the game as we fans do. There are many that look at things as a way of making a living and not necessarily winning. I know sometimes this is a tough concept for some. But, of you ever have a chance to read the book The Other Side of the Game, winning sure takes on a whole new meaning.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    flying ferret fart
    OK, that's a term to remember...
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Just speculating, but I'm pretty sure Georgia is just as happy now as she was, say, four years ago.
    Could this woman possibly be suffering from a form of dementia and not really know what is going on? Seems to me that success = more money.

CarolinaRam Guest

Well, certainly the players have the desire to win. You can't cut it in the NFL without that desire. Too much competition and every year there's a slew of younger, faster guys ready to take your spot. Reminds me of my job!

Coaches' jobs depend on winning and again, it's too difficult of a job not to want to win. If you didn't want to succeed, you couldn't even do the job.

FO- these are the guys that base success off of something other than winning. The team is a business, it's their job to make the business profitable, even at the cost of winning. I don't trust this bunch.

Owner - in my opinion, Georgia wants to win, but she doesn't have her head deep enough in the organization to see all the friction that's keeping the team from winning, so the bottom dollar is what she sees.