Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

  1. #1
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,810
    Rep Power
    79

    Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    First off, this is NOT a Sam Bradford thread in any way shape or form!

    Av mentioned that we should consider drafting a developmental qb next year. Some disagreed, some of you did agree. I am assuming that a developmental guy would fall between rounds 5 – 7.

    If the Rams only keep 2 qbs on the active roster, our starter S.B. and one backup, wouldn’t that backup have to beat out Clemens or Davis (or maybe even Quinn if he sticks)? Spending a late draft pick on a qb that might not even make the roster presents a conundrum of sorts if the Rams are committed to allowing only two roster spots for qbs. If we tried to stash the rookie qb on the practice squad, we could easily lose him. Would it not be better to try and sign a developmental guy after the draft and keep the draft pick for another position? Or – would it be smarter for the Rams simply to allocate 3 roster spots. Thoughts?


  2. #2
    rams8821's Avatar
    rams8821 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NC
    Age
    35
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Im in the draft Tahj Boyd camp.
    Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram:

  3. #3
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,810
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Quote Originally Posted by rams8821 View Post
    Im in the draft Tahj Boyd camp.
    I am sure Tahj Boyd is a fine fellow, but the question was not who we should draft.

  4. #4
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,550
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    First off, this is NOT a Sam Bradford thread in any way shape or form!

    Av mentioned that we should consider drafting a developmental qb next year. Some disagreed, some of you did agree. I am assuming that a developmental guy would fall between rounds 5 – 7.

    If the Rams only keep 2 qbs on the active roster, our starter S.B. and one backup, wouldn’t that backup have to beat out Clemens or Davis (or maybe even Quinn if he sticks)? Spending a late draft pick on a qb that might not even make the roster presents a conundrum of sorts if the Rams are committed to allowing only two roster spots for qbs. If we tried to stash the rookie qb on the practice squad, we could easily lose him. Would it not be better to try and sign a developmental guy after the draft and keep the draft pick for another position? Or – would it be smarter for the Rams simply to allocate 3 roster spots. Thoughts?
    I suppose it depends on how the Triumphant Trio compete this year. One of two situations:

    1. Some combo of Clemons, Davis, Quinn show that they can and should be a part of this roster going forward. In that case, I agree with you; the need to draft a QB goes way down. Even to the point that there may be no need to spend a draft pick on a QB.

    2. None of these three do anything to show they are part of the 2014 plans. In that case, I don't think a 5-7th round pick will do the trick. I would like to see a 2nd-4th round pick, who can be developed in time or thrown in on an emergency situation.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  5. #5
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,810
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I suppose it depends on how the Triumphant Trio compete this year. One of two situations:

    1. Some combo of Clemons, Davis, Quinn show that they can and should be a part of this roster going forward. In that case, I agree with you; the need to draft a QB goes way down. Even to the point that there may be no need to spend a draft pick on a QB.

    2. None of these three do anything to show they are part of the 2014 plans. In that case, I don't think a 5-7th round pick will do the trick. I would like to see a 2nd-4th round pick, who can be developed in time or thrown in on an emergency situation.
    I would agree.

  6. #6
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,965
    Rep Power
    74

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    I think the Rams where lucky that Austin did not sign somewhere and stick prior to losing Sam. That said I think the Rams will rethink keeping three QB next year. Sam will be ready but he still will be coming back.

    If the Rams are to get a QB that can become a solid back up or possibly replace Sam one day. They need to spend a 3rd round pick. I know QB can be found later is the draft but if they want a strong prospect then they need to bite the bullet. They had no problem spending a third on Bailey why not a QB if they feel it's a real need.

    The need factor will depend on how these guys workout I would guess. Can Clemens win a few games with the ones? If he can win say three games or four that would make me feel we have a decent backup.

    I would only spend a three if the Rams are concerned with Bradford further. If it's about getting a solid back up, I would rather pick through some of the guys that have washed out as starters. I don't think you draft a rookie with the plan he's your long term back up I'm might be wrong.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

  7. #7
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,227
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    What HUbison said. [Sorry, I'm in a hurry.]

  8. #8
    macrammer's Avatar
    macrammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Cal
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,953
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think the Rams where lucky that Austin did not sign somewhere and stick prior to losing Sam. That said I think the Rams will rethink keeping three QB next year. Sam will be ready but he still will be coming back.

    If the Rams are to get a QB that can become a solid back up or possibly replace Sam one day. They need to spend a 3rd round pick. I know QB can be found later is the draft but if they want a strong prospect then they need to bite the bullet. They had no problem spending a third on Bailey why not a QB if they feel it's a real need.

    The need factor will depend on how these guys workout I would guess. Can Clemens win a few games with the ones? If he can win say three games or four that would make me feel we have a decent backup.

    I would only spend a three if the Rams are concerned with Bradford further. If it's about getting a solid back up, I would rather pick through some of the guys that have washed out as starters. I don't think you draft a rookie with the plan he's your long term back up I'm might be wrong.
    I agree on the FA signing of our backup QB....if the trio of QB's we have do not show us anything. But even with the signing of the FA QB for one year, I would look to draft a QB in rounds 2-4 for the development of this back up past next year..........

  9. #9
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,612
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    If we are only going to keep TWO QBs, I want what Hub said: a guy from rounds 2-4 (it'd be nice to hit on some more 2nd round picks) who can be groomed and be a good play at QB, someone to get excited over at the very least God forbid Bradford gets hurt again. If we keep three QBs, I still feel the same way, the QB position is, quite frankly, a position that we have NO depth at. Why should we look at the position any differently than, from, say, OL or DL depth? My point is this: if we don't have depth, the position needs to be addressed.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  10. #10
    lostsoul's Avatar
    lostsoul is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    I think if we drafted a guy we would keep him over Clemens if we only kept 2 guys.
    Kyle Fuller at 13!!!!!

  11. #11
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,598
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Alright I'll say it.....If Clemens and company flame out, we may find ourselves in position to make another RG3 trade.

    Here's to hoping Bridgewater among others, continue to light up scoreboards all over America.

    And keep those first rounders coming.

    There.....I said it.
    HUbison, Varg6 and Bar-bq like this.

  12. #12
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,612
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Alright I'll say it.....If Clemens and company flame out, we may find ourselves in position to make another RG3 trade.

    Here's to hoping Bridgewater among others, continue to light up scoreboards all over America.

    And keep those first rounders coming.

    There.....I said it.
    Can't say I'd be upset having a few more 1st round draft picks


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  13. #13
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,137
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    No matter how much I think Clemens & Co are going to stink the place up for the rest of the season, I want to see what happens over the next 9 games. I'm really hoping one of these guys surprises me and they make this discussion a moot point.

    But assuming they all live up to my expectations, we'll need to spend a 5th or higher and get a quality backup. In looking at the list of new QB FAs next year, the pool is just as dismal as this year, so the draft or a trade are really the only options, should the Rams not be able to stick with one of the 3 we have now.

    Recovery from an ACL injury is never easy and isn't a guarantee that Bradford will be back at a high performance level to start the season, so we need to plan on our backup starting games next year, just in case recovery doesn't go well for Bradford.

  14. #14
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,495
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Sorry I'm a bit late the party.

    My desire to draft a developmental QB (who I envision would be taken in Rounds 2-4) is based upon my current belief that Clemens, Davis and Quinn are not viable long-term starting QB options. That belief will likely be tested in the remaining weeks of this season, but that's how I feel right now.

    I would draft a QB with upside (i.e. Boyd, Carr) to fill a number of roles. First, he would back up Sam and be a guy who could (hopefully) keep things going if Sam were to become injured. Second, he would be a guy who might develop into a starter for the Rams if Bradford should falter, suffer a career-threatening injury, or price himself out of our market. Finally, second string QBs are valuable commodities. We've seen guys after a game or two in relief yield tidy sums in the trade market (i.e. Matt Flynn).

    As far as carrying a third QB goes, I think its worth it to do so, but that's a question above my pay grade with the Rams.
    PARamfan likes this.

  15. #15
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,810
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    No matter how much I think Clemens & Co are going to stink the place up for the rest of the season, I want to see what happens over the next 9 games. I'm really hoping one of these guys surprises me and they make this discussion a moot point.
    It will really be interesting to see what Clemens brings at this stage of his career with the Rams. As Fisher alluded to recently, Kellen is a feisty guy by nature - not much "deer in the headlights" about him. He's seems more of a "can take a licking and keep on ticking" type which is an attribute he'll likely need tonight - unfortunately. I do believe Kellen brings "attitude" - something the Rams haven't had at qb for a while. I believe he can lead this team - if - he gets some help.

    I don't really know what to think of Austin Davis - he's shown flashes, but not a lot of consistency. To be fair though, he hasn't had a bundle of opportunities in live game situations either.

    There has to be a reason Fisher hired Brian Schottenheimer to be his OC. I have no idea what that reason was/is, but I sure wonder at times. Schotty has an opportunity to come up with a game plan that favors the talent the Rams still do have - I am hoping for a surprise. To be honest though, I am not bursting with confidence regarding tonight's game.

    No stupid penalties, no dropped passes. Our defense is mostly healthy and needs to play smart/tough at home. These are 3 key areas that have cost us dearly in recent games. I'll add one more: It would be nice to see kickoff/punt returns for tds actually count for a change instead of being called back and the Rams being penalized for 10 or more yards.

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Recovery from an ACL injury is never easy and isn't a guarantee that Bradford will be back at a high performance level to start the season, so we need to plan on our backup starting games next year, just in case recovery doesn't go well for Bradford.
    Good point. My question is whether we should spend a 3rd or 4th or even higher draft pick, or comb the small school campuses and try to find a true diamond in the rough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question for everyone ..
    By MauiRam in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -03-28-2010, 12:06 AM
  2. Just One Question To Ask
    By maxxdigger in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -12-14-2009, 12:04 PM
  3. Question...
    By VegasRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -09-20-2006, 06:12 PM
  4. A question for all to consider
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: -12-18-2005, 10:41 AM
  5. Question?
    By GSOT in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -11-24-2004, 07:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •