Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Question for Av and anyone else who wants to chime in ..

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Good point. My question is whether we should spend a 3rd or 4th or even higher draft pick, or comb the small school campuses and try to find a true diamond in the rough?
    I personally wouldn't spend a 1st or 2nd on a backup QB, when there should be plenty of value left in the 3rd and 4th. Seems to be a pretty deep QB class next year.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I don't think we should draft one high(rounds 1-3). I think a good serviceable backup with upside can be found later. My vote is for Chuckie Keeton. Was projected as a 5th-6th before the season but had played his way to a 3rd rounder IMO before tearing his ACL at the beginning of this month. Think he can be had for a 6th-7th now and he is my choice.

Truth is offline Registered User

I don't believe in drafting QBs to be back-ups. There are generally back-ups available in FA. If you're going to draft a "developmental" QB, he should be someone you feel has the potential to be a #1 guy. If your #1 guy is doing his job, you're developmental guy will ride the pine for a while, and have time to develop.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I don't believe in drafting QBs to be back-ups. There are generally back-ups available in FA. If you're going to draft a "developmental" QB, he should be someone you feel has the potential to be a #1 guy. If your #1 guy is doing his job, you're developmental guy will ride the pine for a while, and have time to develop.
    I think Truth speaks the "truth". You don't draft a QB in the early rounds and then say he's your back-up QB. The Redskins defied this principal 2 years ago with Kirk Cousins, but where else has this happened where a team drafts a QB to play behind their starter who is still in his prime. The days of Aaron Rogers sitting behind Brett Favre are long gone. Either we sign a QB FA or draft a later rounds guy or a UDFA. Provided we are certain about Sam Bradford as our franchise QB going forward. Having said this I am reluctant to spend big money on a FA QB. I think the Matt Flynn scenario speaks volumes. Frankly this applies to most FA's, not just QB's. There must be serviceable college QB's who can be gotten late or post-draft who can fill the back-up billing.

Go Rams!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12