eldfan is offline Registered User

Question Bulgerís play, but not his toughness

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Marc Bulger is coming off his two worst seasons in his six years as the St. Louis Ramsí starting quarterback. There are many reasons why, not all of his doing, but thereís no disputing that. Bulger himself acknowledges that he hasnít come near to displaying the form that earned him Pro Bowl spots after the 2003 and Ď07 seasons.

And heís off to rocky start this year. Heís completing only 50 percent of his passes, has thrown for just one touchdown, and his passer rating is a mediocre 69.5. Plus, his team is 0-2 and his offense has produced a league-low seven points.

But know this: Those who question Bulgerís toughness couldnít be more off the Marc (pun and misspelling intended).

As he dressed in the locker room Sunday at FedEx Field, a large, ugly welt across his back was noticeable. So were knots on both arms. The bruise on Bulgerís back was the result of a vicious shot he took after he scrambled for a 3-yard gain late in the first half. Bulger slid, which means heíd given himself up and shouldnít be hit.

But Redskins end Andre Carter drilled him anyway, and then 350-pound tackle Albert Haynesworth piled on. No flag was thrown, but either or both players shouldíve been called for a personal foul. Had the victim been Brett Favre, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, you can bet the yellow hankies wouldíve been flying from all directions.

Bulger was in considerable pain, and the Rams called a timeout to allow him to pull himself together. And then he went right back to the huddle and pushed on.

His play can be criticized, but not his grit. Bulger takes a beating, never complains about it, never points a finger at his teammates.

Thatís toughness, folks.

Notes & quotes:

*Other than the knee injuries to C Jason Brown and RT Jason Brown, the Rams mainly collected bumps and bruises in the 9-7 loss to the Redskins.

*Itís possible that both S Craig Dahl (hamstring) and G John Greco (wrist) both could be back this week.

*The Rams have been outscored 37-7. After two games last year, they were on the short end of a 79-16 count. Hard to say which is worse.

*Unless the Dolphins get shut out tonight vs. the Colts, the Rams will be the lowest-scoring team in the NFL heading into Week 3.

*Asked about WR Donnie Averyís fumble problems in the first two games, coach Steve Spagnuolo said: ďWeíll keep working with him. Weíre always talking about (holding the ball) high and tight. Hopefully the adage that (fumbles) come and go in bunches is true and heís gotten them all out of his system.Ē

*Spagnuolo works hard to keep his players in a positive mode despite their troubles. Asked who keeps him upbeat, Spagnuolo said, ďMy wife, Maria. And thatís the truth. Iím blessed that Iíve got her.Ē

All for now . . .

:ramlogo:

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Question Bulgerís play, but not his toughness

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

*Spagnuolo works hard to keep his players in a positive mode despite their troubles. Asked who keeps him upbeat, Spagnuolo said, ďMy wife, Maria. And thatís the truth. Iím blessed that Iíve got her.Ē

All for now . . .
    Can she play QB or maybe work her into some variation of the wildcat?

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I don't think Bulger's been great so far, but he's not been bad either. But it's plain to see he's out there giving it his all - I've seen him scramble more in the past 2 games than I saw all last season it seems and has been sliding really late. In that sense, he seems to be a completely different QB. It makes me think that Spags really has changed the culture.

shower beers is offline Registered User

There's no doubt that Bulger is tough. Anyone in the situation he has been in over the past few years has to be tough!

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Personally I think his completion percentage here is misleading. He's throwing away alot more passes than he used to and of course there are the typical dropped passes. Those can lead to alot of incompletions.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Marc Bulger is coming off his two worst seasons in his six years as the St. Louis Ramsí starting quarterback. There are many reasons why, not all of his doing, but thereís no disputing that. Bulger himself acknowledges that he hasnít come near to displaying the form that earned him Pro Bowl spots after the 2003 and Ď07 seasons.

And heís off to rocky start this year. Heís completing only 50 percent of his passes, has thrown for just one touchdown, and his passer rating is a mediocre 69.5. Plus, his team is 0-2 and his offense has produced a league-low seven points.

But know this: Those who question Bulgerís toughness couldnít be more off the Marc (pun and misspelling intended).

As he dressed in the locker room Sunday at FedEx Field, a large, ugly welt across his back was noticeable. So were knots on both arms. The bruise on Bulgerís back was the result of a vicious shot he took after he scrambled for a 3-yard gain late in the first half. Bulger slid, which means heíd given himself up and shouldnít be hit.

But Redskins end Andre Carter drilled him anyway, and then 350-pound tackle Albert Haynesworth piled on. No flag was thrown, but either or both players shouldíve been called for a personal foul. Had the victim been Brett Favre, Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, you can bet the yellow hankies wouldíve been flying from all directions.

Bulger was in considerable pain, and the Rams called a timeout to allow him to pull himself together. And then he went right back to the huddle and pushed on.

His play can be criticized, but not his grit. Bulger takes a beating, never complains about it, never points a finger at his teammates.

Thatís toughness, folks.

Notes & quotes:

*Other than the knee injuries to C Jason Brown and RT Jason Brown, the Rams mainly collected bumps and bruises in the 9-7 loss to the Redskins.

*Itís possible that both S Craig Dahl (hamstring) and G John Greco (wrist) both could be back this week.

*The Rams have been outscored 37-7. After two games last year, they were on the short end of a 79-16 count. Hard to say which is worse.

*Unless the Dolphins get shut out tonight vs. the Colts, the Rams will be the lowest-scoring team in the NFL heading into Week 3.

*Asked about WR Donnie Averyís fumble problems in the first two games, coach Steve Spagnuolo said: ďWeíll keep working with him. Weíre always talking about (holding the ball) high and tight. Hopefully the adage that (fumbles) come and go in bunches is true and heís gotten them all out of his system.Ē

All for now . . .

I had the good fortune to meet Coach Spagnuolo's wife. She could quite possibly be the nicest woman on the planet- very upbeat, cheerful and in no way phony. I don't doubt for a second she is keeping his spirits up. And that is reflected in the way he's dealt with things thus far.

Lange Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I had the good fortune to meet Coach Spagnuolo's wife. She could quite possibly be the nicest woman on the planet- very upbeat, cheerful and in no way phony. I don't doubt for a second she is keeping his spirits up. And that is reflected in the way he's dealt with things thus far.
    Wow thats actually pretty awsome how/when did you do that lol.

Great article and read
    No doubt Bulger tries hard for this team. He has a great work ethic and does everything he can to help this team win. Unfortunately there's just been problems where he hasn't been able to accomplish that goal over the last few years. Bulger takes hits and just plain works his tail off in games because he loves this team and is a true leader. He'll do whatever it takes.I just hope that things can come together for him soon, so that grit can turn into the goal he hopes to accomplish, which is winning games for this team.

You Rock Marc!

Mooselini Guest

I'm glad players see him as a leader. A guy who lays everything down week after week. Gets up after every hit and goes back in the huddle. He's a team leader. Bulger can be seen as the Spags on the field.

I really hope the receiving game gets rolling here soon.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Wink Re: Question Bulgerís play, but not his toughness

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Can she play QB or maybe work her into some variation of the wildcat?
    Maybe she IS a 'wildcat'?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Lange;305417]Wow thats actually pretty awsome how/when did you do that lol.

I have a friend who is lifelong friends with Billy Devaney. I sat in the Owner's suite at the Jets-Rams pre-season game in August. Maria Spagnuolo was there with us- A great experience, to say the least.

I've never questioned Bulger's toughness. His weekly performance is another matter. For us to be successful, HE has to be successful.