AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This question is going to come up at some point, so let's answer it now.

The rumors have already started. Randy Moss is on the trading block. I heard on the radio yesterday a rumor that he could be had for as little as a third round pick.

Because Moss thrived in Scott Linehan's Minnesota offense, it is inevitable that the question will arise: should the Rams pursue him?

Cap wise, the Rams could fit him in if they decide not to resign Curtis, get some cap relief from Faulk and (most importantly) elect to spend substantial dollars on the offense.

Playing time wise, he would have to accept a shared role with Holt and Bruce. Questionable whether he could or would do that.

So, do we want him?

I say no. First of all, the Rams don't NEED him. They are just fine with Bruce and Holt, along with either Curtis (if resigned), McDonald, Looker and maybe a rookie.

While he could be a playmaker, he also is a "ME" kind of guy. The Rams don't need that type of a distraction.

Of course, the biggest reason is the obvious one: THE RAMS NEED TO FOCUS ON DEFENSE!

Anyone disagree?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: This question is going to come up at some point, so let's answer it now.

If it was for a 3rd Round pick. Yes I would then. Moss brings that big play style, and explosive speed to get the big play. Somethin' we need MORE out of the recievers. SO yes, I would go for him with a 3rd Round pick.

PLUS he would help tremendously with our dreaded Red Zone Passing.
    Last edited by RamsFan16; -12-26-2006 at 12:56 PM.
    RamsFan16

viper is offline Registered User

His big play ability is intriguing. But, we already have Holt, Bruce and hopefully Curtis who are all capable of making big plays. We just haven't been exploring that in our offensive scheme as much ae we should or could. I think Moss is a premodonna cancer that we don't need to inflict upon the chemistry of our team.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont want him for free and i will tell you why. We DONT NEED HIM.

This isnt baseball where you can buy as much talent as you want. ITs all about cap management. If you take moss, forget the pick you are giving up, thats 20 mill or so less cap dollars that you have to spend on defense, which is what we need. We have PLENTY Of offense to win the superbowl. We are not losing because we dont have enough receivers. I dont care how much big play capability he brings. Is he going to help us stop the run? Is he going to help us get pressure on the qb? A BIG FAT NO on both of those, thus, he isnt worth the money to us.

A free agent that we sign and use the cap money is FREE in the sense that you dont pay with a draft pick. Find me the best pass rushing defensive end and add him to our team and he will improve our overall team a LOT more than randy moss will.

And all of those arguments havent even gotten to the attitude issue because there is no reason to go that far. ITs a simple as the fact that anyone that has watched a rams game in the last two years understands the absolute truism that affects our squad. If we dont improve our defense, we are going NOWHERE.

End of story, and that is all she wrote. Better offense will help the defense look better for sure, which is why we cant completely ignore the offense and should at least try to retain curtis and vet o line depth, but putting big money into offense makes no sense at all. The money on offense HAS to be spent on resigning bulger.

If this was baseball and there was no salary cap and we were a team with a bottomless pit of money like the yankees, this would be an interesting debate. As it stands now, this one is a no brainer for cap allocation purposes given our desparate need for defense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

No.

Message too short, so here's filler...

rampete is offline Registered User

moss, when he's content and healthy, is one of the best playmakers in this league...the operative word is "content"...when he is not "content" he is sulky, moody, and seems to be a source of division in the locker rooms of the teams he's been on...

i say ney...be gone ye fungae...

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The rumors have already started. Randy Moss is on the trading block. I heard on the radio yesterday a rumor that he could be had for as little as a third round pick.

Because Moss thrived in Scott Linehan's Minnesota offense, it is inevitable that the question will arise: should the Rams pursue him?

Cap wise, the Rams could fit him in if they decide not to resign Curtis, get some cap relief from Faulk and (most importantly) elect to spend substantial dollars on the offense.

Playing time wise, he would have to accept a shared role with Holt and Bruce. Questionable whether he could or would do that.

So, do we want him?

I say no. First of all, the Rams don't NEED him. They are just fine with Bruce and Holt, along with either Curtis (if resigned), McDonald, Looker and maybe a rookie.

While he could be a playmaker, he also is a "ME" kind of guy. The Rams don't need that type of a distraction.

Of course, the biggest reason is the obvious one: THE RAMS NEED TO FOCUS ON DEFENSE!

Anyone disagree?
    Well...yeah...exactly. Why? What is going wrong this season with our elite WR's that we need to trade a 3rd round draft pick for unproductive Randy Moss? I say there is nothing wrong with what we got now, and to be honest I like the fact that we are not in the news all the time because of stupid things that go on with the players. Randy Moss would be a huge mistake if he starts speaking out against the Rams players or coaches. It just doesn't seem like a good fit. I wouldn't mind seeing him however if he was younger and showed that he cared about his team even when it stunk. He said something like if my team isn't doing well, I'm not gonna do well. What is that all about? You give it 100% no matter what your team is going through. He sounds like a quitter and that is the one attitude we DON'T need on this team. Unless Linehan really loves this guy, and they have this great chemistry together, I see no point at all. This is sort of like the Culpepper for Bulger trade...just stupid.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

While Randy's big-play abilities are intriguing -- one can fantasize Moss hauling in Bulger bombs and racing to the endzone -- No ... I seem to remember the Ravens winning the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer at the helm not so long ago. Does anyone remember who the starting receivers were?? I don't ... Point being that you can and do win the big one with defense. At this juncture, the Rams have plenty of horsepower on offense -- obviously it is the D that is sputtering and that is being charitable. Let's spend the money on one or two free agents who can really help upgrade our D. Another thing that may well transpire will be much improved play from the TE position which this season has been pretty quiet. If the recently drafted talent cranks it up a notch next season, the Rams offense will be that much harder to defend ...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Big fat NO we don't need his attitude on our team.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Wouldn't touch him with a 10 YARD pole.

Thanks to players like Moss and T.O.*, some team owners and coaches have really learned to build a dislike to them and to be more selective. The mouth of this type of players is just much too BIG, bigger than the sporadic big plays they make when they feel that they woke up on the right side of the bed and the world turns in their direction.

They are a disgrace to the team and to their teammates, to the fans, to the league .

* . - By way of reference: right on cue, following yesterday's loss to the Eagles, here's Owens complaining in the post game interview that he wasn't involved early enough in the game.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Just say no to Randy Moss. The downside far outweighs any upside.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

There is really no other answer to this question besides a big fat NO.

Here's what Keyshawn Johnson had to say about Randy in October:

"Randy Moss wanted out of Minnesota? Oh well. Four years ago, he was the best wide receiver in the NFL. Now you can't get a pack of gum for him."
    When asked about his dropped balls this season, rather than man up and take responsibility for his play, this is the excuse Randy gave:

"Maybe because I'm unhappy and I'm not too excited about what's going on, so my concentration and focus level tends to go down sometimes when I'm in a bad mood. So all I can say is that if you put me in a good situation and make me happy, man, you get good results."
    Oh, I get it Randy. It's the team's fault that you're not concentrating and aren't doing your job. Has nothing to do with your own responsibilities as a player...

After the comments Marc Bulger made about this locker room and the attitude of some players, I have a hard time believing Randy Moss would bring anything positive to this team.

Even if you somehow ignore all that and look at it simply from a perspective of what he does on the field, Randy Moss is no where near the player he used to be. He's been struggling with injuries for three years now - ankle and hamstring injuries in 2004, groin and rib injuries in 2005, and now he's ending 2006 with more ankle injuries. So not only has he not been productive since going to Oakland, but he's been injured and has been critical of everything his team does.

Bottom line - stay as far away from Randy Moss as possible. Third round pick? We'd be laughed at across the league.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I say no. I can see why he'd love to come here, but as already spelled out above defense is what we need our offense is set for at least the next 2-3 years.

I'm sure we can resign Curtis for less than Moss would be paid, so if we're gonna drop the coin on someone, spend it on someone who we knows the system and works well in it.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

there really only one answer to that question and it's NO.

blood85 is offline Registered User

No, we don't need him, we need to address the Defense issue.