Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    majorram is offline Registered User

Question on Haslett??? will he GO??

Guys do you think if the D continues on this track ( and man I HOPE IT DOESN'T) that at seasons end Haslett will be out of his job?????

or

will it be, give him another season as we don't have the right players for his system etc?????

thoughts??

steve:l

"The breakfast Club"

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Question on Haslett??? will he GO??

No way they fire him after one season. It's unlikely we'd find as qualified a candidate for the job anyway. Besides, he didn't exactly walk into the best situation here.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

When you take over one of the worst defenses in the league you should be given more than 1 year to change it. Reactionary firings because people expect instant success has always bothered me.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Give him time, Haslett is still probably the best thing we've gotten this off-season

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Give him time, Haslett is still probably the best thing we've gotten this off-season
    You really believe that Varg? I am not seeing it. The defense is flat, unmotivated, and unprepared and it does not speak well for Haslett's abilities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

in his defense,pardon the pun,we didnt give Haslett all that much to work with,we all hoped he could pull it off with some of the new guys we brought in, but it's quite clear our talent level on defense is not very good.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

The only way Haslett goes, in my opinion, is if some team is dumb enough to give him a Head Coaching job.

Prove me wrong, Jim!

Rambos is online now Registered User

We just played against two of the best RBís in the NFL. Sometimes no matter how well you prepare, you canít shut down great players.

I will give him some slack; most of the guys on the defense are playing together for the first time. Unlike the O where itís a new system but the players know and trust each other.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

:imho: Haslett has to be given time....at least one more season if not two.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    :imho: Haslett has to be given time....at least one more season if not two.
    Absolutely! Both Haslett and Linehan need more time to acquire players of their own choosing, and that does take time. Even if the Rams draft well next year, it will still take time to work them into the system. Rarely do rookies on defense come in and play like Pro Bowlers. Everyone was talking about what a steal Claude Wroten was after the draft, but he hasn't set the world on fire. I am not saying he wasn't worth the pick by any means, rather he will need time to develop. Hopefully by next year he will be able to contribute significantly.

The problem of course is: everyone wants to win NOW! We are only half way through the season, and may yet surprise. Our next game will be very telling as to where we are in terms of making the playoffs. The 2008 season will likely be the season that tells us whether or not the Rams organization made the right coaching hires, providing that Haslett and Linny are still with the Rams ...

general counsel is offline Registered User

He got a two year contract i believe at 1 million per year. We arent going to fire him, no chance. I think our lousy defense performance has dispelled any notion that he is a defensive "genius" and that decreases the liklihood that he will get another head job for next year. Unless he quits, he will be back.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bela is offline Registered User

Even the best sculptor needs clay. Haslett has done acceptable with what he has available. Lets be honest, on paper the Rams defense is not exactly overflowing with talent.

Last time I was here you guys were in love with him. You rattle off three straight losses against three of the better offenses in the league and now its time to fire him?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    Even the best sculptor needs clay. Haslett has done acceptable with what he has available. Lets be honest, on paper the Rams defense is not exactly overflowing with talent.

Last time I was here you guys were in love with him. You rattle off three straight losses against three of the better offenses in the league and now its time to fire him?
    Exactly, It's more like time to sit back and wait for Haslett to put together the unit he sees fit.:r

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

There's no way he only gets 1 year, that would be unfair to any coach. He hasn't had a real chance to build this defense with his own players (I know he picked up a couple, but he's still mainly dealing with Lovie/Marmie players). I'm not very happy with the direction this defense is taking either, they do indeed look flat, playing with no motivation, missing their assignments like they always have etc. But still I think we need to give Haslett more of a chance, we can discuss whether 2 or 3 seasons or how much is neccessary before we can conclude that he's not going to work out for us, but he gets at least 2 seasons as he should, there's no way he gets fired after just 1, and the way things are going there's no way he gets a head-coaching gig either. For whatever it's worth we're "stuck" with him for at least another year, all we can do is lean back and see where it goes.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    You really believe that Varg? I am not seeing it. The defense is flat, unmotivated, and unprepared and it does not speak well for Haslett's abilities.
    With the crap we call "Defense", the guy needs a year to totally REVAMP it, if not two.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast