Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Question on Haslett??? will he GO??

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    in his defense,pardon the pun,we didnt give Haslett all that much to work with
    I don't really understand this argument. How did we not give him all that much to work with? New defensive additions include a former Pro Bowl tackle in La'Roi Glover, an excellent linebacker in Will Witherspoon, a former Pro Bowl safety in Corey Chavous, Haslett's own boy in Fakhir Brown, and a first round rookie pick at cornerback. For one season, that's a pretty big personnel gain.

Everyone will agree we still have areas to address, but let's not make talent excuses for Haslett when he did his fair share of offseason shopping this spring. We've made upgrades, yet we're still performing at a poor level comparable to last year's squad. In fact, I think our run defense is statistically worse. Whatever you think about the talent improvements we need to make, our current line-up certainly shouldn't be playing this poorly IMO.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Wow, I can't believe the "off with his head" stuff. Are you kidding me? People, calm down. Take a deep breath, sit down and start to realize that you can't put whipped cream on a turd and call it anything but a turd. We stink on D. Plain and simple. We have stunk on D for several years now. Bringing in a new coach, sprinkling in a few throw-aways into the mix is NOT going to change things overnight. Get a grip. Besides, the year is only half over! We've seen a really great performance (Broncos) by our D, and some not-so-great performances against some pretty good offenses. But give it at least a full season to see what transpires and then talk about where we go from there. Let this group of coaches put together a team comprised of their players that can be molded, or that fit into their philosophy and what they want to do, both offensively and defensively. This staff is making strides in the right direction, but give it some time. Hell, Bill Parcells (aka...Tuna) was crowned a coaching "genius" by many, and what has he done so far in Dallas after how many years? Folks, it ain't easy....give it time.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Interesting post.

What I also find interesting is the fact that no one has alluded to the fact that our two losses were without Pisa.

Hang on guys...not so fast. We PROBABLY would have lost anyway, but then again...

I honestly feel Pisa is the closest we have, (or are gonna' get), to a new London Fletcher.

He's fiery, sets a good example, doesn't take plays off, and most importantly, I think he really LOVES the game. Maybe not a superstar, but WAY above average.

Plus, we're not being fair to Haslett OR the Defense. On offense, each player has an assignment, but they are not dependent on each other the way the defenseive players are. And don't say the line men have to block for...etc.

The defensive players have to react to what they don't know is coming, and also have to know where the other defenders are going to be, or TRUST the other player to be there. I think this takes awhile to develop, and last time I looked, we have Atogwe, Chavous, Chillar, Witherspoon, Glover and Adeyandjou and Brown, (I'll give you Kennedy).

That's 7 out of 11 players who are new to each other, and to the other 4 starters.

And the bottom line, (and I know I'll get crucified for this), the offense lost us BOTH games with turnovers.

End of story.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Clannies, The season is only half over don't jump the ship. We all knew the talent level on the D was average at best. Let the players prove their worth & for those who don't, they won't be here next year. As for Haslett i feel he's doing an ok job with what hes been delt. Who does he have that are legit playmakers (Little, Witherspoon, Pisa). Who else would you put on that list?
    Let the coaches build the talent level up then lets judge them.

supachump is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    Last time I was here you guys were in love with him. You rattle off three straight losses against three of the better offenses in the league and now its time to fire him?
    The scary part about that comment is that only one of those teams (San Diego) is in the top 10 offenses.

general counsel is offline Registered User

EXACTLY nick, and that is why i have been pointing out that haslett deserves to be criticized the same way marmie was. Haslett has MORE talent, that is the fact. Who are we missing off last years defense? Pickett and arch. I am the only one that thinks pickett is a loss. The additions to the defense have given us better talent and stastically, against the run, points allowed and how we perform with the game on the line against a decent team, i dont see where we are more than marginally improved if at all.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't really understand this argument. How did we not give him all that much to work with? New defensive additions include a former Pro Bowl tackle in La'Roi Glover, an excellent linebacker in Will Witherspoon, a former Pro Bowl safety in Corey Chavous, Haslett's own boy in Fakhir Brown, and a first round rookie pick at cornerback. For one season, that's a pretty big personnel gain.

Everyone will agree we still have areas to address, but let's not make talent excuses for Haslett when he did his fair share of offseason shopping this spring. We've made upgrades, yet we're still performing at a poor level comparable to last year's squad. In fact, I think our run defense is statistically worse. Whatever you think about the talent improvements we need to make, our current line-up certainly shouldn't be playing this poorly IMO.
    Maybe the real problem is Haslett's inability to recognize talent?

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    EXACTLY nick, and that is why i have been pointing out that haslett deserves to be criticized the same way marmie was. Haslett has MORE talent, that is the fact.
    Indeed. I'm definitely not on the "Get rid of Haslett" train, but to say this guy doesn't have some talent on the defense or didn't get to pick some talent this spring is just flat out incorrect.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

How can you even say, and ask that? Its not even been one season, yea our Defense is regressing, but wait and see what he does after two seasons. This is a rebuilding year if you didn't know on Defense, and it takes more than one season. We don't have a Dominate DT yet, or a Dominate SLB, or a reliable Free Safety. After next season if our D still ranks Bottom 5 - 10 I'll think about it, but until then it doens't matter how frustrated you get or I get, you have to remind your self its a rebuilding season!
    RamsFan16

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Is it me, or are teams always "rebuilding" if they aren't performing well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

first of all, this is not an argument, i had an opinion and i stated it, you mention 2 FORMER pro bowl players,chaveus and glover,witherspoon,who i really like,hasletts boy brown,ok,and a #1 pick who will be very good but needs to play to become better,with the exception of spoon and hill did we really upgrade that much ?our record and defensive rankings tell me we havent,so what is the problem ? if its not talent than what is it? is it haslett,i dont know.

first of all, this is not an argument, i had an opinion and i stated it
    Actually it was, as I was using the word argument in the context of it being a statement or position. As in, "My argument is that so-and-so..." or "That's a good argument."

you mention 2 FORMER pro bowl players,chaveus and glover,witherspoon,who i really like,hasletts boy brown,ok,and a #1 pick who will be very good but needs to play to become better,with the exception of spoon and hill did we really upgrade that much ?our record and defensive rankings tell me we havent,so what is the problem ? if its not talent than what is it? is it haslett,i dont know.
    We certainly thought we upgraded when we made those signings. We only know now, in hindsight, that not all of them were huge upgrades or at least not as impactful as we may have hoped. That being said I think there's still a lot of talent there, and I don't think you're going to see many defensive coordinators run out and pick up those kind of players in one offseason.

I think quite a bit of cause can be placed on the scheme. This is a quick aggressive scheme that sacrifices size for speed, so when teams run right at us like KC and SD did, we're going to give yardage up. We also utilize the blitz quite a bit but are inconsistent at best in terms of actually getting to the QB in time or even causing pressure, which means we're exposing our men in coverage.

It's a combination of things certainly, but Haslett deserves his share of the blame for not getting the most out of the talent on this team, IMO.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Actually it was, as I was using the word argument in the context of it being a statement or position. As in, "My argument is that so-and-so..." or "That's a good argument."

We certainly thought we upgraded when we made those signings. We only know now, in hindsight, that not all of them were huge upgrades or at least not as impactful as we may have hoped. That being said I think there's still a lot of talent there, and I don't think you're going to see many defensive coordinators run out and pick up those kind of players in one offseason.

I think quite a bit of cause can be placed on the scheme. This is a quick aggressive scheme that sacrifices size for speed, so when teams run right at us like KC and SD did, we're going to give yardage up. We also utilize the blitz quite a bit but are inconsistent at best in terms of actually getting to the QB in time or even causing pressure, which means we're exposing our men in coverage.

It's a combination of things certainly, but Haslett deserves his share of the blame for not getting the most out of the talent on this team, IMO.
    Nick,i see what your saying,but what now ?we kind of made our bed by getting these players,where do we go from here an dhow would you fix it ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12