Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Question for Martz critics and supporters

Now that the draft is over and training camp is the next big event. What do you all feel Martz must do to prove his worth to this team? How successful must he be to retain his job?? What are your expectation for this team?

A lot of you have asked for Martz's head on a platter, and you may get that after this season. As a Martz supporter, I want to know what the guy must prove this season to not get roasted.

Re: Question for Martz critics and supporters

there are Martz critics?

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Martz will just have to be successful at what he does,thats what he knows,and he wont change much.Dont expect him to deviate from his scheme.He might water it down a tad for the rookies but not much.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:13 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RamWraith is offline Registered User

What is successful?? How far does he have to go to be successful? Super Bowl or bust? How about 10-6 and the playoffs. Maybe the NFC championship game.

I personally think Martz has been more than successful during his tenure in St. Louis, but that sure don't seem like that is good enough. The bar has to be raised this year for him to retain his job. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    Martz will just have to be successful at what he does.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

I really think we will get to the NFC Championship game,maybe against the falcons dont know,but that would be pretty successful.Torry get the recieving honors and possibly league MVP that would be an awesome thing.:ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo:
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Playoff coaches tend to keep their job (though not always, see Marty Schottenheimer). As long as he consistently gets there, Martz will have a job.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

[QUOTE=HUbison]Playoff coaches tend to keep their job QUOTE]

I would have to clarify that to say ... Championship coaches

general counsel Guest

Our society (me included) is obsessed by championships. We tend to look at one coach a year as a success and the other 31 as failures. That really makes no sense if you think about it. Bill Cowher from the steelers went 15-1 last year after almost getting fired the year before. Was he a great coach last year and a terrible one the year before? I doubt it. Some changes, sure. But at the end of the day, i still believe coaching only matters at the margain, its talent that makes the most difference and in the nfl, luck with injuries is such a huge component of success.

The knock on martz has been that the rams under his tenure are NOT playing to their potential due to all their talent. I dont really see it that way since i think our talent on defense has been very limited and in our offense, one weak link (ie right tackle) really, really kills us. I think the turley injury last year (certainly out of martz control) had a devastating effect. Of course, its a fair criticism to say martz should have adjusted the offense somewhat, especially once bulger went down as well.

I think martz is a solid coach and the more input he has into the personnel decisions, the more direct responsibility he should have for the won loss record, INJURIES aside.

I like the emphasis on special teams this off season and the addition of barron is really going to help. No one can say that within the confines of the cap, we didnt focus this off season on what we needed positionally, and martz gets some of the credit for that.

Time will tell, especially if we can stay healthy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Martz may have to watch the clock closer and change up his radical play calling to where it becomes trickery. :ramlogo: Everyone thinks he's gonna do this since he has become the fake master. he may need to go the opposite direction to throw them all for a loop! With a solid o-line he can open up the offense and get it back to the high flying form of 99-00. :ramlogo: No excuses for no one. Let it fly and bring back the excitement will all long for! If the team is healthy then the only thing that will lose Martz his job is the performance of the players! :ramlogo:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I believe if you set yourself up for a Super Bowl or bust mentality, you're just setting yourself up for failure. The league's all about parity nowadays and the Rams are one of only a few teams that have remained competitive for the past 6 years.

Martz critics are just like the Bulger critics in that they don't realize what they've got. They've got a head coach and a quarterback who simply win. It's not flashy, but they just do it.

I haven't been a Rams fan as long as many of you, I'm sure. But I did struggle through the first 4 years in St. Louis along with the rest of you. I know what it's like to lose every year with little hope of making the playoffs. I'd imagine living through the late 80's early 90's was a pretty bad scene too. What we have now in the team, personnel and coaching, is something special. We have a legitimate chance to take it all every year.

That said, this year could be very special. I have no doubts whatsoever about the offense this season. I do think the Greatest Show is gearing up for another tour. The questions aobut the defense can be answered by rookies like O.J., Bartell, and Carter, and free agents like Coakley and Claibs. Our special teams will be great this year. They've finally got special teams personnel to make that unit not only decent, but perhaps strong.

What will Martz have to do? He's already taken large steps to be successful. But he just has to continue what he's been doing. That's win games.

We're in for something special this year guys. The offseasons not over and we still have a large amount of cap space for June cuts. We're only going to make this team better, a team that I'm confident with putting on the field as is. Are you ready? It's gonna be a good one.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

[QUOTE=RamDez]
    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Playoff coaches tend to keep their job QUOTE]

I would have to clarify that to say ... Championship coaches
    Chief, I don't think they have to win championships anymore. In this day and age, I believe a coach can stick around as long as he keeps making postseason consistently. Cowher is a great example. He's entering his 14th year with the Steelers and has only 1 SB appearance to show for it. But in his 13 seasons he has 10 winning years and 9 playoff appearances. Andy Reid is another example. In 6 seasons, he has 5 playoffs and 0 SB wins, but nobody is calling for his head. Or Shanahan, 6 seasons removed from the SB, but he's been to the playoffs 3 of those years. Tennesee got hammered last year and will probably get the 1st pick in the 2006 draft, but nobody's calling for Fisher's head yet, because he's made the playoffs 4 of the past 6 seasons. I think Martz has that same level of comfort, not as comfortable as Belicheck, but some level of security still the same.

In this day and age, unless they do something stupid, I think a coach can make an entire career in one city by just making the playoffs.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

If lady luck shines down on the Rams this year and we stay relatively healthy, there is a good chance of winning our division. As far as Martz changing his playcalling, I will stick my neck out and say: very possibly. Listening to Martz last year when queried by the press about a perceived lack of running plays (usually after a loss), his response would often point to a few running plays that were unsuccessful. Mike doesn't like to play "ball control"---he wants to score.

One game that keeps coming to mind last year is the 2nd (At least I think it was the 2nd game) Seattle game). Mike kept telling everyone that the Rams were going to pass, pass, pass...When game time came around our offence started things off with a running play that was successful, then surprise...surprise, he calls another run, and another, each one really moving the ball... Approximately ten plays later we ran it in for a TD. Not one pass..I for one couldn't believe it, as it seemed so out of character for MM.

My point in this ramble is that Mike will apparently use the run, even stay with it, if it is successful from the get go.

Last year our O-line as we all know wasn't anything to write home about, a fact of which MM was completely aware. This year: things could be very different ala A. Barron, Rex Tucker, and or Claude Terrell., not to mention Hammertime Hedge****. If during camp and the preseason games the O-line really moves people off the ball, I think Martz will call considerably more running plays during the regular season, particularly if we are ahead.
    To sum things up, IMHOP, Martz leans very heavily towards "instant gratification" be it run or pass, and this year it appears we as fans could be seeing alot of "IG" in the running game if our revamped line pans out....

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I think if martz continues the way he has I will think of him as successfull. I'm sure unless we get deep into the playoffs he will not be considered successfull. I dont like changing coaches as GC said Bill Cowher is a prime example. Although success will always be measured in W - L. Martz being quirky is what makes him different.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I do believe that his job is on the line. But keeping in perspective that, at some point, most coaches are on a "year to year" basis if they haven't done anything spectacular the year before.

Getting to the playoffs would pretty much secure his job.

As for the critic in myself, I feel the NFC championship game is the goal.

Also, a quick side note. I KNOW this will not happen, but if somehow KW and the Cardinals have a better record than the Rams at the end of this season, then Martz should not only be fired, but taken out back and shot.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Now that the draft is over and training camp is the next big event. What do you all feel Martz must do to prove his worth to this team? How successful must he be to retain his job?? What are your expectation for this team?

A lot of you have asked for Martz's head on a platter, and you may get that after this season. As a Martz supporter, I want to know what the guy must prove this season to not get roasted.
    I don't want his head on a platter, I want his head in the game, making good decisions and pulling the right strings. I don't want a rookie quarterback have to tell him what down it is, I don't want him having a shell shocked quarterback being forced to throw 8 of 10 plays to start a game a week after throwing 6 interceptions, I don't want him to try and force a game plan when opposing defenses are taking it away, and I really don't want to hear excuses for failure and mistakes week after week in post-game press conferences.

To not get roasted, Mike Martz has to stay consistent, effective and competent. I can take losses if I know the team did everything in their power to win. If Mike Martz does what he needs to, has the team prepared, motivated and ready each week, then follows with good game management, he'll have few worries, almost certain success and everybody's happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast