TheGuest62 is offline Registered User

Question for Rams fans

Greetings I have a few questions for Rams fans. I am doing an NFL off-season write up and was wondering a few things.

- What kind of Offense do the Rams run? I read somewhere that under Linehan's offensive system Marc Bulger greatly reduced his interception numbers, and improved his passing efficiency. So one would think the Rams are running a more balanced and controlled offense this year compared to the Martz offense. With quicker drops, and shorter routes? more hitches, quick outs, and screens? is this true..

- How did Tight End Joe Klopfenstein do this season? What kind of skill set does he have? Do you think he will be more involved with the Offense next year?

Thanks for the time.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Question for Rams fans

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuest62 View Post
    Greetings I have a few questions for Rams fans. I am doing an NFL off-season write up and was wondering a few things.

- What kind of Offense do the Rams run? I read somewhere that under Linehan's offensive system Marc Bulger greatly reduced his interception numbers, and improved his passing efficiency. So one would think the Rams are running a more balanced and controlled offense this year compared to the Martz offense. With quicker drops, and shorter routes? more hitches, quick outs, and screens? is this true..

- How did Tight End Joe Klopfenstein do this season? What kind of skill set does he have? Do you think he will be more involved with the Offense next year?

Thanks for the time.
    Just one man's viewpoint, but....

-That's a pretty good summation of the Linehan offense. I think of it as Martz-lite. It's not as heavy on deep routes, and more risk averse, but similar. The deep ins and other high-risk/reward routes have been substituted (for the most part) with shorter quick hits to the TB and H-back.

-Klop had a decent rookie season, and looks to play into the Linehan system pretty well. He's got good hands as a receiver, but needs to work on his blocking.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TheGuest62 is offline Registered User

^^ Thanks for the answer man. I noticed Steven Jackson had great numbers this year rushing, but also receiving.

I'm guessing the Rams are sending him out of the backfield a lot more to run routes, as maybe a safety valve.

How do you guys think Steven Jackson will be utilized next year, and what type of blocking scheme fits his running style the best?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Linehan has struck gold with Jackson in the passing game. He's not a great pass blocker, so send him to the flats......worked well. I'm guessing we see more of the same. Jackson in the flats may slow down rush DEs and blitzers better than Jackson in the backfield.

As for the best blocking style, the power blocking used by Linehan appears to be the answer. Give him his assigned hole, put a pulling guard in front of him or a FB and chipping OT, and let him run vertical. The zone blocking we used before last year just wasn't Jackson's proverbial cup of tea.....too much decision making, not enough blasting forward. He's elusive outside, but (unlike Faulk) his "between the tackles" elusiveness leaves something to be desired in a zone blocking scheme.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

^^ Thanks for the answer man. I noticed Steven Jackson had great numbers this year rushing, but also receiving.

I'm guessing the Rams are sending him out of the backfield a lot more to run routes, as maybe a safety valve.

How do you guys think Steven Jackson will be utilized next year, and what type of blocking scheme fits his running style the best?
    Steven Jackson was a monster this year, and I expect him to be even better next year. The O-line went through a ton of changes throughout the year, with only one real constant for the entire year, and that was our RT, Barron. O-linemen were shuffled like a deck of cards due to injuries, but at season's end, I think we found a good starting group that combines youth and experience. Another year together with the new coaching staff and offensive scheme, and barring injury of course, Jackson should put up big numbers again next year.

Jackson has it all, really. He can run over you, or around you. He has "deceptive" speed, and has shown the power to drag a couple tacklers for a few yards as well. He has good hands, and as his 2006 number show, he's a huge threat catching the ball out of the backfield. I think he's best suited for quick hits in the middle, but he can bounce it outside as well. He's still learning to make the right read off off his blocks, and occasionally takes the wrong route, but those mistakes are quickly disappearing. He also had a habit of "dancing" a bit too much, instead of hitting the line quickly, but he has worked on that as well.

Since Linehan preached reducing turnovers (a bad habit from the Martz era) Bulger checked down more this year and went to his "safety valve" quite often, which is another reason why Jackson's receiving numbers were so high. However, Jackson proved this year that he can be the workhorse, and gets better as the game goes on, so the offense has better balance between the run and pass, than the Martz system. If you play fantasy football, Jackson should be considered a high first round pick next year.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968