Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Question for those in the know about "the football code"

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    What the hell is wron with some of you? Spags took a no talent team and won more games this year thang the last three combined. Tonight's loss was hard, but doesn't mean you throw all logic and reason out the window. It's a miracle we won 7 games with the pathetic receiving core we have.
    Because we have been seriously upgrading the talent the last two years. It is very possible that the personnel upgrades alone took this team to where it was this year, and that the entire coaching staff kept them from going even further. Forget the records for a moment. Based on what you have seen out of the staff on gameday (clock management, playcalling/philosophy, discipline and execution from the players) are you confident that they are actually good at their current jobs.

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

What, what, rams going back to LA, fire spags, what, .....the world is ending, right is left, up is down, what...???

JustinHasAnAxe is offline Registered User

While I won't even entertain the idea of firing coach Spags, I will say that the playcalling disgusted me as a fan. I don't feel like the coaching staff did its job last night and the result was an embarrasment on national television.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I like Spags, but I'm sticking to my fire Shurmur campaign! Okay, seriously I'm the only worried the front office isn't going to spend big money on any free agents this year?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Because we have been seriously upgrading the talent the last two years. It is very possible that the personnel upgrades alone took this team to where it was this year, and that the entire coaching staff kept them from going even further. Forget the records for a moment. Based on what you have seen out of the staff on gameday (clock management, playcalling/philosophy, discipline and execution from the players) are you confident that they are actually good at their current jobs.
    We seriously upgraded from "Pathetic team that would probably be beaten by any team in the top 25 in college" to "decently talented, but only enough to be competitive, not win"

That may be a serious upgrade, but come on, this team doesn't have the talent to compete with the Patriots or the Jets or the Falcons. It simply does not. Spags/Devaney took over the weakest roster in the NFL, they made serious upgrades, but serious upgrades are still needed.

Bad game? Yea, by everyone. Knee-jerk fire the coach that upgraded the worst roster to one that is in the middle of the road and almost made the playoffs? No. Not at all. Bad form.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Wer arte all frustrated after last night's huge egg on national tv. But, let's see what stan brings to party with Spags and how we evolve next year. But, for now, give spags some love since we were even in a playoff hunt after three disastrous years, Remember Linehan?

Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User

Linehan, now there is a nightmare I'd like to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHasAnAxe View Post
    While I won't even entertain the idea of firing coach Spags, I will say that the playcalling disgusted me as a fan. I don't feel like the coaching staff did its job last night and the result was an embarrasment on national television.
    I agree, it was embarrassing, and play calling was disgusting. Does one horrific game mean the coach should be fired? Absolutely not. Did Bellicheat get fired after the Giants tore down his SuperTeam with superior play calling and game planning?

Who was that coach the Giants had, that defensive coordinator who stopped the unstoppable Brady/Moss combo? I forget his name...

Anyway, point is, sure Spags had a bad game, and I expected him to pull some tricks he'd been saving all season out of the bag, and he didn't. There is no reason to fire him though, he is still an inexperienced head coach, this will be a good lesson.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Fired? No. But someone, preferably Kroenke, needs to tell the coaching staff that he wants a winning team led by people who have that winner mentality. Playing conservative and cowardly last night was probably an embarrassment to Kroenke.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    We seriously upgraded from "Pathetic team that would probably be beaten by any team in the top 25 in college" to "decently talented, but only enough to be competitive, not win"

That may be a serious upgrade, but come on, this team doesn't have the talent to compete with the Patriots or the Jets or the Falcons. It simply does not. Spags/Devaney took over the weakest roster in the NFL, they made serious upgrades, but serious upgrades are still needed.

Bad game? Yea, by everyone. Knee-jerk fire the coach that upgraded the worst roster to one that is in the middle of the road and almost made the playoffs? No. Not at all. Bad form.
    Right on. Very good post. For the 5 billionth time, the playcalling as a whole is a reflection of our (lack of) talent at the receiver position and the fact that Sam Bradford is a rookie. This insane expectation that we should fling it downfield 8-10 times a game to that collection of stiffs has simply got to stop. You saw what happened the four times Bradford threw 20-30 yard strikes on the money to receivers last night. They dropped them. You are only as good as those you coach. A good collection of skill players will make an offensive coordinator look good. Conversely, a group of sub par skill guys will present challenges. How good did Mike Martz look with Alex Smith at the helm?

I have had issues with playcalling at times this year- no doubt. I have also questioned Spags in-game decision making from time to time. Improvement must be made. But calls for his head shows an impulsiveness that is beyond ridiculous.

Spags is who he is: a defensive minded coach who is conservative by nature- made more so by the offensively challenged receivers we had this year. He will never be a gambler. As we accumulate talent, he'll open up. I guarantee it.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Cannot play with them. Cannot win with them. Cannot coach with them. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Can you just imagine how the next coach search would go?

Kroenke: Coach, we want you in St. Louis to be our Head Coach. What do you say?

Coach candidate: Didn't you just fire a coach for improving the team by 6 wins last season?

Kroenke: Yea, why?

Coach candidate: Um, yea, I'll pass.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison.......as interpreted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Can you just imagine how the next coach search would go?

Kroenke: Coach, we want you in St. Louis to be our Head Coach. What do you say?

Coach candidate: Didn't you just fire a coach for improving the team by 6 wins last season?

Kroenke: Yeah, and if you've seen our game films for the last two years you'll know why. I've seen Frenchmen who are more offensively minded than this guy, better clock management out of Herm Edwards, and by and large the team has played undisciplined and stupid the last two years.

Coach candidate: OK, then it sounds like I just don't have to fall victim to the Peter Principle.
    Fixed. We may not have to fire Spagnuolo now, but given the overall mantra of "display progress" and the lack of learning and adaptation displayed by our new-on-the-job coaching staff needs some accountability. They are making the same mistakes they made in Week 1 last season. As I am a firm believer in the "kill one man to warn a thousand" school of though, we can fire one of their hand-picked assistants or two instead of the head (hell-o secondary, receivers, and special teams coaches) but the staff as currently constituted is incapable of coaching a successful playoff team.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-03-2011 at 05:01 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Still this bashing? Must be people angry over last nights loss still. I think it would be best for some people to just not post until 4 days after gameday. Bash Shurmur all you want, but Bradford threw 2 beauty's to Alexander last night and he completely missed one and dropped another. Fells dropped a nice pass. Our receivers showed me yesterday why we will be seeing someone new here next season.. preferably A.J Green!

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Fixed. We may not have to fire Spagnuolo now, but given the overall mantra of "display progress" and the lack of learning and adaptation displayed by our new-on-the-job coaching staff needs some accountability. They are making the same mistakes they made in Week 1 last season. As I am a firm believer in the "kill one man to warn a thousand" school of though, we can fire one of their hand-picked assistants or two instead of the head (hell-o secondary, receivers, and special teams coaches) but the staff as currently constituted is incapable of coaching a successful playoff team.
    Wait, so 1-15 to 7-9 is not progress? Did I miss something?

Your claim to fire Spags is a ridiculous and just a knee-jerk reaction and you know it. No person in football would ever fire a coach after they won 6 more games than the previous year. That isn't "football code" it's freakin common sense.

Stop trying to justify your knee-jerk when you know Spags should not be fired, and that the Rams would (rightfully) be a laughingstock if they did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast