BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

Questionable Playcalling

I know that Linehan has been criticized as being too conservative inside the RZ, and has been viewed as not as aggressive as he should be, but I am disgusted with these 4th down calls in the second half. The rams should not go for it on 4th when theyre only up 2 points and a chipshot FG in their grasp. I know this is a building year but this is not something to build on. At least that is my opinion.

:clanram: BIG GAME Holt

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Questionable Playcalling

It's a building year for Linehan also. I do agree that he doesn't yet to have a fell for the head coaching/situational coaching yet. Let's hope he figures it out.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

That was a bad call, no doubt. You take the three points. Moreover, if you're going to go for it, it should be because you think you can make it running the ball.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

I conistently get the feeling that Linehan is being out-coached and making bonehead decisions. I just have yet to feel comfortable with his playcalling. I know that he is a rookie head coach, but he is not a rookie offensive playcaller. I just have an uneasy feeling every game...no comfort zone or confidence...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SFCRamFan View Post
    I conistently get the feeling that Linehan is being out-coached and making bonehead decisions. I just have yet to feel comfortable with his playcalling. I know that he is a rookie head coach, but he is not a rookie offensive playcaller. I just have an uneasy feeling every game...no comfort zone or confidence...

Teams on the road should always take the points. To go from a 2 point lead to 5 changes the complexion of the game. Going for the FG is a complete " NO BRAINER". Then to make it worse the ball is thrown instead of smashed up the middle???:x These type of decisions are elementry school level.:x Does Linehan need to go back to school??:x I still can't believe he didn't go for the points!!!!!!!!!!!!!:x :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

It kills me to lose like this...I would rather get blown out by 30 points than to lose by bad coaching decisions. And I agree with Jackson and Davis, we definitely have the power to get one yard...although they did stuff us earlier on a similar short run, so maybe Linehan was thinking of that...regardless the FG should have been kicked so we didn't have to discuss the ifs..

rampete is offline Registered User

oh puhleese...

i loved the call by linehan to go for the TD...he probably saw something during the gameplanning that gave him the incentive to go for it...the rams were on the road, leading by 2 pts and the defense was playing well in the 2nd half at that point...he went for the kill, which is alright in my book...

now, as for the execution...that was pathetic...

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    oh puhleese...

i loved the call by linehan to go for the TD...he probably saw something during the gameplanning that gave him the incentive to go for it...the rams were on the road, leading by 2 pts and the defense was playing well in the 2nd half at that point...he went for the kill, which is alright in my book...

now, as for the execution...that was pathetic...
    What did he see, I know I saw an offense that hadn't scored an offensive TD yet in the game, but had great field position for most of the game. Since the D is playing so well in the second half, you go up by 5 and let them handle it.

It's just not smart football the way I see it.

Even if we scored the TD I still wouldn't agree with the call. I would like the TD, but the call was crazy. You have to take the FG.

We do agree that the execution was horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    What did he see, I know I saw an offense that hadn't scored an offensive TD yet in the game, but had great field position for most of the game. Since the D is playing so well in the second half, you go up by 5 and let them handle it.

It's just not smart football the way I see it.

Even if we scored the TD I still wouldn't agree with the call. I would like the TD, but the call was crazy. You have to take the FG.

We do agree that the execution was horrible.
    of course, i'm only speculating about linehan's decision to go for it, but being an offensive tactician, he may've seen something in recent past games by the hawks where they didn't do something well in the redzone (i thought the announcers mentioned that the hawks redzone defense had been terrible the last two or three games).

as we all know, the hawks got the ball at the 11 yd line and couldn't muster anything, leading to a punt...that decision to forego the FG didn't directly lead to a defeat, since our defense held them to 3 and outs on consecutive series after that...the rams failure to execute on 3rd downs from mid-field really let several opportunities slip by.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    of course, i'm only speculating about linehan's decision to go for it, but being an offensive tactician, he may've seen something in recent past games by the hawks where they didn't do something well in the redzone (i thought the announcers mentioned that the hawks redzone defense had been terrible the last two or three games).

as we all know, the hawks got the ball at the 11 yd line and couldn't muster anything, leading to a punt...that decision to forego the FG didn't directly lead to a defeat, since our defense held them to 3 and outs on consecutive series after that...the rams failure to execute on 3rd downs from mid-field really let several opportunities slip by.
    Directly or indirectly, you can't take points off of the board, especially to run a pass play on 4th and 1 to Klop downfield. It changed the whole face of the game. Sorry I just can't buy going for it and taking points off the board, especially the way we were playing on O and D.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    The backhanded compliments about Austin Davis are amusing.

well understood ramsbruce, i can see how going for the FG can be viewed as prudent and good football...but i still like the fact that linehan has the ball-bearings to go for the throat...