Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 3 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By renrawtruk

Thread: Questions

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Questions

A few questions I've been meaning to pose.

Why doesn't the team have a Veteran backup QB to mentor Sam Bradford and carry a clipboard during the games? Why is there not an older QB that worked in the Shottenheimer offense (or his dad's)? Seems like having a young QB (Sam) with two other inexperienced QB's is not beneficial to Bradford's learning curve. Even if it were a QB's coach who was a recently retired veteran QB.

Also, shouldn't Shottenheimer bring in a Mike Martz or someone for a few weeks to consult on how to use multiple wide receiver sets, spread offense, etc... I'm sure Shott (and Fisher) have their own ideas, but if he's historically called a run first style offense, and now he wakes up one day and has multiple guys who run 4.3 plus Quick and Cook to figure out what to do with, I wouldn't be to proud to bring in a guru to help consult. We don't have the luxury of trial and error figuring out how to best use these guys by week 8, needs to be up and running week 1.

And lastly, I was watching the college highlight films on Tavon Austin and noticed something that concerned me. On his juke moves, he goes to the right almost 90% of the time. Kind of like a point guard who can only go to the right, or goes to the right most of the time. Let me know if it's just me, or is this something that could be a weakness in the NFL if he doesn't correct?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Questions

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    Why doesn't the team have a Veteran backup QB to mentor Sam Bradford and carry a clipboard during the games? Why is there not an older QB that worked in the Shottenheimer offense (or his dad's)?
    Kellen Clemens spent five years in New York while Schotty was OC there, so he seems to fit what you're describing.

Also, shouldn't Shottenheimer bring in a Mike Martz or someone for a few weeks to consult on how to use multiple wide receiver sets, spread offense, etc...
    I doubt Fisher would have made the move to this style of offense if he didn't have faith that Schotty could scheme it. Only time will tell if Fisher is right. It's worth pointing out that Schotty spent a number of years in San Diego as a QB coach under offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, who runs a Coryell-style offense.

And lastly, I was watching the college highlight films on Tavon Austin and noticed something that concerned me. On his juke moves, he goes to the right almost 90% of the time. Kind of like a point guard who can only go to the right, or goes to the right most of the time. Let me know if it's just me, or is this something that could be a weakness in the NFL if he doesn't correct?
    I don't know how big of a weakness this is going to be, if it is in fact representative of his playing style. It's not something I ever heard come up here in Morgantown while he was here, and certainly it didn't hinder his production. Austin is such an incredible athlete that he's capable of making people miss any number of ways, but I'm sure if it becomes an issue, it's something the coaching staff can address and try to change. But I don't think it's something that's going to make or break his success as a pro.
    RealRam likes this.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Sam Bradford has started 42 games, won the ROY award and is entering his fourth season as the teams field general. Exactly how long does a QB need 'mentoring'???
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I'd explain why I don't share any of your concerns, but Nick has adequately hit it. Besides, even if he wasn't the qb coach in the "air" Coryell system... he certainly doesn't need Martz, he could just call his dad.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If Tavon only jukes to the right, but still beats his man, who cares?
    RealRam, THOLTFAN81 and Torry Holt like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting set of questions AND answers!

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Yes, helpful and insightful replies, thanks Nick, et all!

Regarding Clemens, good to know he knows the system, which is a major plus. Still a little concerned that usually the veteran in this role is also an accomplished QB who is able to provide advise from experience on adversity, playoffs, etc... not just the x's and o's, but I guess that's what we got...

And agreed that Tavon is unstoppable even if he can't turn to the left (like Derek Zoolander), so hopefully he works on this throughout his career if it starts to become a disadvantage.
    KoaKoi likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Regarding Clemens, good to know he knows the system, which is a major plus. Still a little concerned that usually the veteran in this role is also an accomplished QB who is able to provide advise from experience on adversity, playoffs, etc... not just the x's and o's, but I guess that's what we got...
    You'd be surprised.

There are only three back-up quarterbacks in the league whom I believe meet those requirements of being an accomplished QB who could advise from experience on the playoffs (Matt Hasselbeck, Matt Cassel, Rex Grossman [assuming he makes the roster]).

Looking at the names on the depth charts right now, it seems to me there are more veteran back-ups with limited playing experience and no insight on playing experience in the playoffs than there are the other way around.

To take it a step further, let's say the Jets cut Mark Sanchez at some point this summer/fall. Would you be in favor of bringing him in? He's an accomplished quarterback with experience in the playoffs and familiarity with Schotty's system. Personally though, I don't think he'd bring much to the team.

Other potentially available (use the phrase loosely) quarterbacks who had experience with Schotty in NY: Brett Favre (43), Mark Brunell (42), Chad Pennington (37). Don't think they'd even be interested in holding a clipboard at this point. So in that regards, when it comes specifically to Schotty, Clemens is probably the best thing out there for the Rams' specific situation, assuming they haven't already tapped him completely for knowledge.

Plus, I suspect once camp is over, Sam will be as well versed in Schotty's system as any passer on the roster or anyone who will be available as a free agent. He's an intelligent player who will benefit from a second year absorbing this scheme.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Nice commentary Nick on the veteran QBs and their worth as back-up / mentor. [And, no, I would not think MS would be a good fit coming from NYJ.]

Clemens should be fine as our back-up man.