coy bacon is offline Registered User

Questions on the game

Outside of Dez’s post, I’ve not seen any comments on the game this morning. So I read the ESPN game report and a few comments stood out. Could anyone who saw the game comment on them? I know this is just a preseason game, so I don't think too much can be made of it, but I'm trying to get a flavor of the team.

“Williams, who made a negligible impact last week, showed signs of justifying Houston's decision to take him at No. 1 over Reggie Bush in a 27-20 Texans win over St. Louis on Saturday night.”
    QUESTION: Did Williams go up against Baron? And if so, how did Baron perform against him?

“The Rams' No. 1 offense has not scored a touchdown in five preseason possessions.”
    QUESTION: Is this a big deal? I think they haven’t played much.

“The Rams held out offensive tackle Orlando Pace, who sprained his right knee and ankle on Monday.”
    QUESTION: Who filled in for Pace, and how did he do?

“St. Louis was held to 61 yards on 27 carries after totaling 202 yards rushing last week against the Colts. The Texans took away the run with lots of eight-man fronts.”
    QUESTION: That stat is poor. Jackson’s stats were 4 carries for 10 yards, with the longest one being a run of 7 yards. That stat is poor also. But, we’re working with a very small sample size. Does his performance cause anyone any concerns about his ability to be our stud RB? I thought he looked great last week and I’m surprised to see that he go so few carries this week.

QUESTION: I see that Byrd had 3 catches for 24 yards, the longest one being an 18 yarder. That sounds good to me. Did anyone note his over all performance? Maybe he’s a slow starter and is now coming up to speed?

QUESTION: The QB stats look reasonable. Any comments as to how the QBs actually looked out on the field?

QUESTION: We had a lot of penalties. Any thoughts as to why?

QUESTION: Houston got a lot of yards running the ball. Is our run Defense stagnant or was this just a case of 2nd team performance and not a cause of concern?

LongTimeFan is offline Registered User

Re: Questions on the game

“Williams, who made a negligible impact last week, showed signs of justifying Houston's decision to take him at No. 1 over Reggie Bush in a 27-20 Texans win over St. Louis on Saturday night.”
    QUESTION: Did Williams go up against Baron? And if so, how did Baron perform against him?
    I don't know who he went up against the entire time he was in there, but here is more from the same article:

"Last week, Williams was on the field for only 11 plays and was credited with one assist. This time he lined up at both end positions and saw some action at tackle.

Williams was part of a defensive line rotation that played the first half, along with quarterback David Carr and the rest of the Texans' first-stringers. Most Rams starters were out of the game by early in the second, with the starters producing three points in three possessions."

Orlando was out, so it looks like some of the time he was playing against our second, and maybe third string tackle.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon View Post
    Yes he did Barron was at RT and the most memorable matchup I recall was Barron getting flagged for holding Williams when Williams was blowing by him on the outside. Barron got the flag but had he not held him Bulger would have been demolished. Other then that I do not recall much about that match up.

“The Rams' No. 1 offense has not scored a touchdown in five preseason possessions.”
    QUESTION: Is this a big deal? I think they haven’t played much.
    They have not played much, Its probably not a big deal. The TE's are getting utilized more that part of the offense is looking better. The running game was missing both FBs and Pace which hurt. The WRs are running good routes and getting seperation however they are still dropping some catchable balls (early preseason dropsies). Bulger IMO will have the toughest time of all transitioning to the new offense. He has the most on his plate. So far his accuracy has not been there yet he has had several balls sail over the receivers heads.

“The Rams held out offensive tackle Orlando Pace, who sprained his right knee and ankle on Monday.”
    QUESTION: Who filled in for Pace, and how did he do?
    Steussie played in place of Pace at LT.

QUESTION: That stat is poor. Jackson’s stats were 4 carries for 10 yards, with the longest one being a run of 7 yards. That stat is poor also. But, we’re working with a very small sample size. Does his performance cause anyone any concerns about his ability to be our stud RB? I thought he looked great last week and I’m surprised to see that he go so few carries this week.
    I am more concerned from last years performance then this years. He did not prove enough last year IMO. I am still for featuring him more but I am concerned. The game yesterday he was missing both his FB's and Pace which did not help his stats. However I saw one glimpse of him from last year that concerned me where he danced behind the line and went slightly backwards.
    There was not much there but when theres not I am concerned about him finding what holes there are.

QUESTION: I see that Byrd had 3 catches for 24 yards, the longest one being an 18 yarder. That sounds good to me. Did anyone note his over all performance? Maybe he’s a slow starter and is now coming up to speed?
    He was the third TE to come into the game against lesser tallent. I still can not say how he looked. But I agree it could take him some time to come up to speed.

QUESTION: The QB stats look reasonable. Any comments as to how the QBs actually looked out on the field?
    With the exception of Bulger being high on a lot of his passes I thought they all did fairly well.

QUESTION: We had a lot of penalties. Any thoughts as to why?
    Houston was applying some pressure.

QUESTION: Houston got a lot of yards running the ball. Is our run Defense stagnant or was this just a case of 2nd team performance and not a cause of concern?
    Second stringers provided a lot of that and people out of position IMO on one play we had everyone near the line of scrimage the Texans created a hole that the RB got through The Safety Carter was the only one back and he was slow to react and way out of position he needed to be more in the middle of the field they got a long run for a TD without anyone touching them.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -08-20-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Some things I'd add...

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Barron didn't look very good last night, but it wasn't solely because of Williams. They had Super Mario all over the field. Some at RDE, some at LDE, and sometimes inside at tackle. He'd occasionally stunt out from tackle and rush the outside. They used him well.

There was absolutely no push by the first unit offensive line last night, and it didn't get much better after that. Jim Hannifan mentioned as much during the broadcast. When there's no where to run, the running game shuts downl.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

“St. Louis was held to 61 yards on 27 carries after totaling 202 yards rushing last week against the Colts. The Texans took away the run with lots of eight-man fronts.”
    Both of our FBs didn't play last night, so that contributed to our poor running game.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I watched the game and can honestly say that the offensive line first unit got absolutely nothing done. Jackson had nowhere to go and Bulger was never able to get set. Pace was obviously missed, especially when Bulger got creamed on a blindside hit. Like ramsbruce mentioned, no fullbacks in the mix didn't seem to help matters as well. I don't think there's any cause for concern though, it's was only one preseason game without some key components.

All the TE's made plays last night. Byrd and Walker found the seams and were able to get good yardage after the catch. Klopf made a heads up recovery on the fumble by Holt.