Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GROUND DOG 39

Thread: Quick Hits From Schottenheimer On Sam, SJ, Clemens, QB Coach

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quick Hits From Schottenheimer On Sam, SJ, Clemens, QB Coach

Quick hits from Schottenheimer on Sam, SJ, Clemens, QB coach

BY KATHLEEN NELSON
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Highlights of today's teleconference with Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer:

On meeting Sam Bradford: "Sam came in yeseterday to say hello. We had a great visit. I was blown away with how excited he was for the coming year. We had a very nice visit and I'm very excited to have a guy like him to build around."

On Steven Jackson, whom he has yet to meet (Schottenheimer said he had watched Jackson in about a dozen game films): "I've been a fan of Steven's for a long time. ... Very exciting to see how big, how powerful he is."

Of his penchant to use two running backsinstead of one while coordinator for the Jets: "It's something where we've been fortunate to have guys like that. It started a couple years back. We've had a guy who's a starter and a guy who is a change-of-pace back. You need depth. If you have guys who bring a different element, you want to use those guys."

Schottenheimer also worked with Rams backup Kellen Clemens, who joined the Rams in December after injuries to Sam Bradford and A.J. Feeley. "I'm a big fan of Kellen. We were involved in the drafting of Kellen. He truly did a great job for us, Schottenheimer said. "I've tried to keep up with him when he left. I always pulled for him. Here's a guy who understands what it means to be a pro. It does not surprise me that he came in here and played well. He takes his craft very seriously."

On the importance of hiring a quarterbacks coach, missing in the regime of Josh McDaniels: Absolutely. That's something that was one of the first things Jeff and I talked about. It's something I believe in. The quarterback needs to be taught, no different than anybody else. I have a way that I belive it should be done. Because there's so many things that come across your plate, you need somebody for Sam or any of the quarterbacks to go to and be hearing the same voice. Whatever we're saying that's the same message that's being said in the quarterback room.

On a timetable for hiring a QB coach: "We will take our time. we'll look at a lot of different people."

On his offensive philosophy: "I've been around a lot of different things. We want to build things off our personnel. We want to be flexible. We want to be balanced ... but we want to keep (oppenents) off-balance. ... Make the runs and the passes kind of look the same, but it all starts in the passing game with protections. The quarterback needs to be upright. I think it all comes down to take care of the football, protect the passer and do what your personnel does best."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Quick Hits From Schottenheimer On Sam, SJ, Clemens, QB Coach

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    On his offensive philosophy: "I've been around a lot of different things. We want to build things off our personnel. We want to be flexible. We want to be balanced ... but we want to keep (oppenents) off-balance. ... Make the runs and the passes kind of look the same, but it all starts in the passing game with protections. The quarterback needs to be upright. I think it all comes down to take care of the football, protect the passer and do what your personnel does best."
    Please fix this O line... through the draft, free agency, trades... I don't care please fix it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, gotta say that so far, so good!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Hardly dinosaur football is it.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Quick hits from Schottenheimer on Sam, SJ, Clemens, QB coach

BY KATHLEEN NELSON
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Highlights of today's teleconference with Rams offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer:

Build things off of our personnel! That's what we want to read.....!!!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

"I think it all comes down to take care of the football, protect the passer and do what your personnel does best"

This worrys me when it comes to Jason Smith, because we all know that what he does best is get a concussion

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Please fix this O line... through the draft, free agency, trades... I don't care please fix it.
    I agree. Just fix it. There is no more critical issue affecting the sucess of the Rams.