Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Quick Thoughts about the Miami game

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quick Thoughts about the Miami game

-QB: Similar performance as the Detroit opener IMO, in that Sam seemed decent for most of the game but came on late. Needs to get rid of the ball faster, IMO, but great toughness on the sneak and moved well today. Completing 66% without his top option is worthy of praise.

-RB: Jackson showed his typical toughness but too often had little room to run either due to blocking issues or running right into his blocker despite some room to the side. Starting to wonder if he ever breaks 100 this season. He did have a nice catch and run on an outlet pass late in the game, though. Richardson continues to flash and should be part of a future post-SJ rotation.

-WR/TE: After an early-game drop, Gibson steps up in Amendola's absence to grab seven passes for 91 yards. Only other Rams WR with more than two receptions is Givens w/ three. Quick w/ 1 rec for 1 yard, I guess it's something in the smallest sense of the word. Simply put, we need more out of this unit. Kendricks had his best game of the year, maybe he offers more of a security blanket with Danny out.

-OL: This is probably about as good as it's going to get; not a great day but not an awful day. Just kind of inconsistent overall. Rams need to consider helping out Richardson on the right side a bit more than they did today. It was nice not to hear Ojinnaka's name as much as we have in the past. They need to hold up better in the red zone, though.

-DL: Quinn was essentially neutralized by Jake Long; Chris Long gets this unit's only sack of the day. Run defense definitely showed up, though, and Langford had some moments.

-LB: Dunbar just seems like a force out there. He hits like a truck. Laurinaitis was around but I don't recall much impact from him. McIntosh is the odd man out. This unit should also get credit for the stout play against the run, though.

-CB: Tannehill completed over 70% of his passes and wasn't intercepted. That's not all on the secondary, but they had some rough moments, particularly Dahl and Jenkins who reminded us he's a rookie.

-K/P/ST: We knew this day would come. If Zuerlein is Legatron, then the Dolphins must be the Autobots. Greg was 2/5, though only one of the three misses was really one he should have made. Hekker was solid; he had a nice punt inside the Dolphins 10. Jenkins as a return man made everyone hold their breath; lucked out on a fumble that went out of bounds. Maybe someone else gets some reps this week?

-Coaching: The staff should continue to give credit for inspiring this team to keep playing even when things go poorly and look bleak. Previous Rams teams probably would have packed it up late in the third quarter, but this one kept fighting. Liked Schotty's gameplan overall, though we need to see some improvements in the red zone from everyone on offense if we want some more W's. Defense came to play.

Until the Rams are able to bring in some more talent, particularly on the offensive side of the ball, you have to wonder how much significant improvement we'll see through the season. But we saw today what we've seen in previous days - the Rams have improved enough to stand toe to toe with just about anyone, especially if they minimize their own mistakes and play good, fundamental football.

We could have used more of that today, but this wasn't a completely discouraging loss by any means. It's refreshing, even if we don't like the final outcome, to see a Rams team that continues to fight and hang in there rather than throw in the towel.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Quick Thoughts about the Miami game

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    This is probably about as good as it's going to get; not a great day but not an awful day. Just kind of inconsistent overall. Rams need to consider helping out Richardson on the right side a bit more than they did today. It was nice not to hear Ojinnaka's name as much as we have in the past. They need to hold up better in the red zone, though.
    Good points. Considering what we've got out there, it could be a lot worse. The offense is going to struggle with the OL situation as it is, and we'll just have to weather the storm and hope Wells and Saffold come back sooner than later.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I think we look like a solid team and I'm more than happy with how well we've played this year.

The line should obviously improve when Saffold and Wells return.

I'm just happy to see Sam bouncing back and looking like our QB of the future.

Obviously the red zone woes are killing us. We need a big target in the red zone and a left tackle. Really hoping Quick develops in to our red zone threat and that we go after both a big time receiver and tackle in next years draft/free agency.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Two things.

1) I would keep given Richardson more and more carries. This isn't a knock on Jackson but sometimes you just play the player with the hot hand. Maybe some games Jackson will have the hot hand but I think Richardson needs a few more opportunities to break some big ones.

2) I don't know if it's Pead or someone else but I would like to get Jenkins off kick returns. One day he may be impressive but almost every game this rookie is going up against high caliber receivers. I just want his focus there and only there.

Just my thoughts... most of the time I am wrong. : )

mh-i is offline Registered User

I'll simplify. The Rams put the ball in the endzone once. That's not going to win games. I watched the HBO special in the Dolphins and they're as young as we are, rookie QB. That absolutely stunk and looked bad doing in the pre-season. That said, I'm not seeing a bunch of positives in the Rams performance today. Again, 1 TD is not getting the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Good points. Considering what we've got out there, it could be a lot worse.
    Yep, I think that's the thing to keep in mind. If fans were told in August that, by this point in the season, Hunter and Richardson would be our starting tackles and Ojinnaka would be holding down the left guard spot, I bet many of us would have promptly begun preparing sympathy cards wishing Bradford well while he recovers on IR. Given the misfits this unit is fielding, they aren't doing too badly, considering.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Obviously the red zone woes are killing us. We need a big target in the red zone and a left tackle. Really hoping Quick develops in to our red zone threat and that we go after both a big time receiver and tackle in next years draft/free agency.
    I agree with the needs at those positions, but we also just need more efficient play from the guys we have when we get to the redzone. And I think they're capable of that kind of play.

On the first drive (technically not in the red zone but close enough), Gibson dropped an easy pass and Sam took a sack on third down.

On the second drive from Miami's 11, Bradford was off on all three downs - poor decision on first down, poor pass on second down, and the pass on third was so off he may have simply been throwing it away.

On the first drive of the second quarter, when the Rams were sniffing the red zone from Miami's 26 yard line on third down, the line allows a free rusher who clobbers Sam and forces a long field goal that Legatron misses.

Before the end of the half, when the Rams get inside Miami's 20, a penalty on Ojinnaka pushes them to the 24, they get back inside to the 19 on a Richardson run, but then can't convert on second or third down passes before missing another field goal.

I mean, the Dolphins deserve credit for what they did on this part of the field to stop the Rams, but I think the Rams were equally responsible for their stalled drives with their own mistakes, and it's stuff that isn't so much about simply being outplayed or having less talent, but just mistakes that should be correctable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    1) I would keep given Richardson more and more carries. This isn't a knock on Jackson but sometimes you just play the player with the hot hand. Maybe some games Jackson will have the hot hand but I think Richardson needs a few more opportunities to break some big ones.
    Richardson had 11 carries in this game, and Jackson had 12. It was a pretty even workload today in terms of rushing attempts between them, which I think is a testament to what Richardson has done so far this season. Give him any more carries though, and he may as well be starting over Jackson. It's an interesting discussion point, though, because he clearly brings more speed and urgency to the table, which this team has benefited from.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    Two things.

2) I don't know if it's Pead or someone else but I would like to get Jenkins off kick returns. One day he may be impressive but almost every game this rookie is going up against high caliber receivers. I just want his focus there and only there.

Just my thoughts... most of the time I am wrong. : )
    I agree with you about Richardson. I want to see him carry the rock a lot more. He has the speed to break a long run and provide the explosive play this offense needs. I'd move Jackson into more of a short yardage - 3rd down type role.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I like the balance in the running game. I don't want to see SJ get no less them 50%, I think they both help each other set up runs. I would like to see more screens to Richardson, they guy is so fast.

In the red zone would like to see us try and run in more to be honest.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson and Daryl Richardson compliment one another especially with the patch work o-line we have. I believe SJ39 needs a few more outside running plays because Jackson is still a great player he just seems to be given the running plays where there is Absoltely no where to run from the beginning..

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    -QB: Similar performance as the Detroit opener IMO, in that Sam seemed decent for most of the game but came on late. Needs to get rid of the ball faster, IMO, but great toughness on the sneak and moved well today. Completing 66% without his top option is worthy of praise.
    I don't think is was even close to the Lions game Nick. He was pretty good in the first half...

Through all of this, the Rams offense was busy posting its best first-half performance of the season. In the opening 30 minutes, quarterback Sam Bradford and Co. surged to 294 yards of total offense, the ninth best total in franchise history and the most by a Rams team since Dec. 2001.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

The good news is that if not for just a handful of mistakes in this game and at the end against Detroit, we could easily be a 5-1 team at this point. A terrible ST fumble, a blown coverage, and our kicker going 0-3 with at least one of those kicks in pretty easy range...if any one of those things hadn't happened, we probably would have won the game today.

Gibson had one of his good days today, which was encouraging, and Givens is looking promising. On the other hand, the only memorable play for Quick was a rookie mistake that ended with the ball hitting him in the leg when he seemingly had no idea it was coming.

Although the offensive line wasn't as much of a liability as it has been in some games, pass protection still looked like one of our biggest problems. In that last sequence in particular, we had one play where a defender shot straight through the middle of the line unblocked. Then there was that last drive killer where Hunter blocked straight back instead of forming a pocket, Bradford stepped up, and there was a defensive lineman immediately on top of him.

Overall, aside from the one play where Jenkins got caught completely flat-footed and allowed a deep touchdown, the defense played pretty respectably. Quinn might not have gotten any sacks, but he drew uncommon penalties from Jake Long.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Sometimes it's just not your day.
    Sorry, not a pessimist at all, but when I saw GZ first miss, I turned to my buddy and said, "We just lost".
    Been watching this team for a long time.
    Richardson doesn't score.
    Givens doesn't score.
    Givens doesn't score AGAIN.
    Our f'ing FULLBACK can't hold in to a football?
    Jenkins is standing there with his feet in wet cement.
    GZ misses two more.
    12 penalties for 100 yards?
    Seriously, what else could have happened.
    Oh, yeah. Jenkins- 3 returns for negative yards and a fumble.

Not our day, period.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

And if you really want to feel sick, check out the game stats.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

bradwill is offline Registered User

Think I would prefer Pettis back there returning punts instead of Jenkins at this time.

I don't think SJ is on this team next year, either. I can see Richardson getting more and more work this year and learning about blitz pick-ups and protection to the point that next year SJ isn't as needed, though Pead may have to show something before the Rams simply let SJ walk away. I think he's lost a step and isn't getting any younger, he can't just bull through people lik ehe used to,will cost too much in comparison to his value on this team vs. another team, and he's not part of the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I don't think is was even close to the Lions game Nick. He was pretty good in the first half...
    Great, so 294 yards of total offense, and only six points to show for it. In a three point game, the difference between touchdowns and field goals is crucial. Yards don't show up on the scoreboard.

Sure, we can point to any number of things that, had they gone differently, could have changed the result of the game. In a point with such a slim margin of victory, that's usually the case. But Sam is among those things one can point to, especially on the first two drives of the game.

On the first drive, on a manageable 3rd & 5, he took an unnecessary sack to end any hope of a touchdown. On the following drive, from the Miami 11 yard line, Sam was 0-for-3 in positive yard plays due to his passing and decision making.

He also had some great moments in the first half as well. His pass to Kendricks on 2nd & 20 was as good as you're going to see. He had a great 20+ yard run the drive before that as well that showed good awareness of the situation.

So, some good combined with some bad equals decent to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast