Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By sjacksonrules

Thread: Quinn ready to hit the ground running for Rams

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quinn ready to hit the ground running for Rams

BY BILL COATS Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:10 am

Aug. 7 has been imprinted in Robert Quinn's mind ever since it was announced that the Rams would meet the Chicago Bears on that date in the Hall of Fame game, which annually opens the NFL preseason schedule.

Quinn, the Rams' first-round draft pick (No. 14 overall) in April, hasn't played a football game in 19 months.

"Getting my first NFL sack, I think that's the main thing I'm looking forward to right now," said Quinn, a 6-foot-4, 265-pound defensive end. "But also, I'm just really excited to get back to playing football in general."

After his sophomore season at the University of North Carolina, Quinn was slapped with a permanent suspension from the NCAA for accepting illegal benefits.

So the last time Quinn suited up for a game was Dec. 26, 2009, when North Carolina lost to Pittsburgh, 19-17, in the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte, N.C. "It seems like forever," said Quinn, who had 86 tackles, including 13 sacks, in his two college seasons.

He was eligible for the 2010 draft because he had been in the Tar Heels' program for three years, having redshirted as a true freshman.

If Quinn is to end his hiatus on Aug. 7 in Canton, Ohio, several events must take place:

• The NFL lockout has to end soon, probably within the next few days, to save the Hall of Fame game from cancellation.

• Quinn and his agent, Carl Carey, have to quickly negotiate and sign a contract with the Rams.

• In what would be a short training camp prior to the game, Quinn would have to show that he has enough of a grasp on the Rams' scheme to warrant playing time.

The odds against such a perfect storm are long, but Quinn remains hopeful. "The lockout's eventually going to be lifted," he said. "When it is, we've got to hit the ground running."

Getting a contract done in a matter of a few days probably looms as the primary sticking point. Agents haven't been permitted to negotiate with teams during the lockout, and contracts for first-rounders typically are complicated and not quickly agreed upon.

That process could be a bit speedier this year, because a new collective bargaining agreement is expected to include a rookie wage scale.

Quinn, 21, is eager for a deal. "The faster you can get in (to camp), the better it'll be for any rookie," he said. But he stressed that he won't jump at an offer just because of a compressed time frame.

"As much as I want it to be quick, I want it to be fair," Quinn said. "This is a game, but at the same time it's also a job. You don't want to cheat yourself. I just want to have everything on a fair playing field and take it from there."

Because of the lockout, there were no organized team activities or minicamps — valuable introductory sessions for first-year players — in the spring. Quinn, who hasn't been at Rams Park since meeting with the media on April 29, has been working out at the North Carolina facilities with former Tar Heels teammate Ryan Taylor, a tight end who was a seventh-round selection by Green Bay.

"We're trying to keep ourselves prepared," Quinn said. "I want to make sure I'm in the best shape possible to come in and help contribute."

He didn't take part in the Rams' informal player-organized drills. But he had a good excuse: He was in Haiti as part of a charity group doing relief work following last year's devastating earthquake. Quinn said he helped build houses for families rendered homeless by the quake.

Quinn's main tie to his new club has been occasional text messages with fellow defensive end Chris Long.

"We haven't really talked about football specifics," Quinn said. "He's trying to help me make an easy transition and keep in contact, so that when the time is here, I can have at least a feel for somebody, even though I haven't met him in person."

Whether it's sooner or later, Quinn realizes that once he gets back on the practice field, he's going to be on a stepped-up pace to get up to speed.

"In previous years, the rookies got adapted to the NFL life a lot quicker than we have," he said. "What we're going through is the business side of the game, and really you've just got to deal with it and keep yourself prepared. It's eventually going to be over with, and when it's all said and done, you've got to get to being a professional. …

"I'm excited to get started with it."

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Re: Quinn ready to hit the ground running for Rams

Yo maui Ram what part of Maui do you live in? I've been vacationing in kaanapali at the Westin time shares for a week of so relaxing, itching for football season. hahaha

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I don't think Quinn will be a bust but I think it will be a bit like halfway through the season before he starts making a impact.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    I don't think Quinn will be a bust but I think it will be a bit like halfway through the season before he starts making a impact.
    And let's not forget, there's a lot of room in-between. It will take at least a year for him to figure out NFL O-lines.....at least. But when he finishes this season with 1.5 or 1 or even 0 sacks, we shouldn't (though you and I both know there will be) start throwing the "b" word (rhymes with rust) around.
    ZiaRam likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Expect Quinn to develop slowly and steadily like Chris Long, there will be those few guys who'll jump the gun into labeling him a bust after this season. He needs to put on some meat though if he wants to be stout against the run.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And let's not forget, there's a lot of room in-between. It will take at least a year for him to figure out NFL O-lines.....at least. But when he finishes this season with 1.5 or 1 or even 0 sacks, we shouldn't (though you and I both know there will be) start throwing the "b" word (rhymes with rust) around.
    Just like that Chris Long guy is a bust.

Glad the Rams didn't give up on Long. I just hope that Quinn progresses sooner. If he doesn't that is fine I am sure he will be a beast.

I am having wet dreams off Long, Quinn, Hall, and Robbins all rushing the passer at the same time.

Throw in Guys like Selvie and C.J. Ah You (he had 4 sacks and didn't start one game) and we have a good rotation going there.
    RealRam likes this.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I honestly think Quinn will have a bigger impact faster than Long did. He is more explosive than Long. Long came over from being a 3-4 De and had to learn the 4-3. He is a great De but he will never be that 15 sacks a season guy. That's what we got Quinn for.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Judaxi View Post
    I honestly think Quinn will have a bigger impact faster than Long did. He is more explosive than Long. Long came over from being a 3-4 De and had to learn the 4-3. He is a great De but he will never be that 15 sacks a season guy. That's what we got Quinn for.

Look at these measurables on them both. Quinn is the 6'4" one, I know its kinda hard to read but you get the picture that the numbers are close on both.

They are pretty darn close. So that makes kinda excited. I can't wait to see what these twins do together.

Not to mention Long led the league in qb hurries so he could 15 sacks in a season. He had 8.5 last year so 5.5 more wouldn't be out of the question if he turned those hurries into sacks.

Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic
    6 ft 3 in 272 lb 32½ in 10⅛ in 4.75 s 1.53 s 2.71 s 4.21 s 7.02 s 34 in 10 ft 4 in x rep 346 ft 4 in 265 lb 34 in 10⅛ in 4.60 s 1.61 s 2.67 s 4.31 s 6.99 s 34 in 10 ft 5 in 24 rep x

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Right? Happens all the time.... some of those we shall not name on this board will, guranteed. You know Hub, with a chance of luck maybe he will be a impact and fresh legs in the playoffs this year?