Quinn signs; Rams complete first day of camp

By BILL COATS
Saturday, July 30, 2011

The first day of St. Louis Rams training camp began with a 75-minute walk-through this morning that didn't include much walking. "I couldn't slow them down. Seriously," coachSteve Spagnuolo said. "And that's to their credit. These are competitive guys that want to get going."

The first official practice was a 2-hour, 10-minute session in the afternoon with the players in helmets and light shoulder pads. It wrapped up about 4 p.m. at Rams Park.

"It felt like it was really hot earlier in the practice, and then I thought it cooled off a little bit," Spagnuolo said. "The players may not feel that way."

In fact, several players were bothered by cramps. That group included former Mizzou wide receiver Danario Alexander, who left practice early.

Although the spring OTAs and minicamps were wiped out by the 4Ĺ-month lockout, Spagnuolo say no obvious signs of added rust among his troops.

"It went pretty good," he said. " I was impressed that the guys on offense (under new coordinator Josh McDaniels) ... I expected more cadence problems, false starts, the checks not being right. But for the most part, I thought they got it pretty good."

<><><>

DE Chris Long, who wore No. 72 his first three seasons, has switched to No. 91.

<><><>

Second-year pro Keith Toston is backing upSteven Jackson at RB.

<><><>

Second-year WR Mardy Gilyard had a couple of nice catches, including a deep ball for a touchdown in team drills. WR Brandon Gibson also put in a strong showing.

<><><>

First-round draftee Robert Quinn, a DE from the U. of North Carolina, has agreed to contract terms and has arrived in town. The Rams' seven other draft picks are signed and were on the field.

<><><>

For various reasons under NFL rules, these players weren't permitted to practice: G John Greco, TRenardo Foster, WR Danny Amendola, DE C.J. Ah You, LB Chris Chamberlain, LB David Vobora, CB Al Harris, S Quintin Mikell, WR Mike Sims-Walker, GHarvey Dahl, S James Butler and GJacob Bell.

<><><>

Spagnuolo said WR Mark Clayton, coming off knee surgery, could rejoin the club, but not right now. "The leg's not right just yet. So we're just going to kind of hold off. I've talked with Mark; everything's very positive there. But we're going to just see where his injury goes for right now.