Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quinn's sack total may decrease as his impact increases.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quinn's sack total may decrease as his impact increases.

The word is out on Robert Quinn. He is now regarded as one of the top pass rushers in the NFL. As a result, he'll likely see more teams designing their pass protection around him, whether it be by double teaming him or some other tactic.

If, as a result, Quinn does not register 19 sacks again, that's fine, as long as the rest of the pass rushers make opposing teams pay for placing too much attention on one player.

This can come in a number of forms. Aaron Donald, for example, faced few one-one-one battles last year in college, as he was the top threat on Pittsburgh's defense. If he now has the benefit of single team scenarios as a result of the attention on Quinn, he should thrive.

Chris Long also will likely see few double-teams. Rather, he'll face RTs one-on-one, a matchup in which he'll typically have the advantage.

I also expect Gregg Williams to bring blitzers from Quinn's side of the field. I could see Alec Ogletree thriving in this role, as could Lamarcus Joyner.

Thus, to see Quinn's impact, we'll need to look beyond his individual sack total. Last year, the Rams registered 53 sacks (46 by defensive linemen) in 574 pass plays (a sack rate of 9.2%). If these numbers improve, Quinn will deserve the lion's share of the credit, even if his numbers decline.
    RealRam and Torry Holt like this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Quinn's sack total may decrease as his impact increases.

logic = sound

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Music to my ears. I hope we destroy some offenses around the league and start to become the defensive equivalent of the GSOT. My one concern is the secondary where I hope we've done enough to shore up our pass defense.

Go Rams!

Trevor is offline Registered User

JJ Watt would be a prime example. He went from what 20 sacks to 10 last year? It wasn't due to loss of production, it was because teams kept double teaming Watt, yet he still was disruptive. However, I think it wouldn't be an issue because teams now need to focus on the whole line with the addition of Donald. The Rams D Line probably is a lot better than the Texas line as I believe they only have Watt.. Well, besides clowney.

macrammer is offline Registered User

agreed.

The Rams will have more sacks in 2014 then 2013, they will allow less per carry and they will be better in coverage. All of it adds up to a better ranking and performance for the D. Quinn will be a key component of this regardless of his sack total.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

After seeing McDonald get that one sack against the Bucs when Quinn lined up on the interior, we'll see more teams double or triple team Quinn. Teams would play it safe to have 2 blocking TEs against this pass rush and even then, it's likely not enough.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

The interesting question becomes who will see their sack total increase the most, should Quinn be double-teamed. My guess would be Chris Long.

Go Rams!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Quinn will be double teamed in warmups. They will have multiple guys blocking him coming out of the tunnel. I agree that will impacts others statistically. Sacks are a bit misleading. They are great and impactful, but the real key is getting the qb off his rhythm, and that is done with pressure, hits and fear of sacks, in addition to sacks themselves. It's all about timing in the nfl passing game, and if you can disrupt that timing you can be very successful.

The greatest defense of all time (the 1985 bears) had a very average secondary, at least coverage wise. However, my long stated theory that the qb cant throw from flat on his ass was the key to that bears defense. Drop back to pass and run for your life is not generally conducive to offensive production, and that is what we hope to see from the Rams. Quinn is a far better all around defense end than Richard Dent, and he is still improving. I love Brockers, but he has a long way to go before he is a Dan Hampton force of nature in the middle of the line.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam, thoey, live4ramin and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    The greatest defense of all time (the 1985 bears) had a very average secondary, at least coverage wise. However, my long stated theory that the qb cant throw from flat on his ass was the key to that bears defense. Drop back to pass and run for your life is not generally conducive to offensive production, and that is what we hope to see from the Rams. Quinn is a far better all around defense end than Richard Dent, and he is still improving. I love Brockers, but he has a long way to go before he is a Dan Hampton force of nature in the middle of the line.
    Ironically Jeff Fisher was a safety in that '85 Bears defense. I'm doing the math. Good points about disrupting the QB's rhythm.

Go Rams!

Someone made an excellent point about The Tree becoming a significant blitz factor in this year's defense. If you go back to my analogy regarding the '85 bears, wilbur marshall and otis wilson were absolute terrors chasing the qb. I think Tree has a chance at a very special season.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

punahou is offline Registered User

Quinn will be double teamed in warmups. They will have multiple guys blocking him coming out of the tunnel. I agree that will impacts others statistically. Sacks are a bit misleading. They are great and impactful, but the real key is getting the qb off his rhythm, and that is done with pressure, hits and fear of sacks, in addition to sacks themselves. It's all about timing in the nfl passing game, and if you can disrupt that timing you can be very successful.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Not according to TECMO BOWL-- Do it all Dave Duerson was a beast in that game

I stongly encourage everyone to go on youtube and watch the first half of super bowl xx. The most dominating defensive half you will ever see. Patriots had -19 yards at half in a championship game!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

I agree that Quinn will be big focus for all the offenses we play but can Williams create blitzes that will force teams not to be able to double him?

By Bucky Brooks

1) Williams' blitz-heavy plan will make the NFL's best D-line even better.

When I played defensive back with the Kansas City Chiefs under Gunther Cunningham in the late 1990s, the ultra-aggressive defensive guru taught me that blitzes aren't necessarily diagrammed to get the designated rusher to the quarterback; many of them are crafted to help talented defensive linemen get one-on-one pass-rush opportunities. Cunningham repeatedly told me that dominant defensive linemen win the overwhelming majority of their snaps against single blocks. A team that consistently ratchets up the pressure will consequently rack up the big hits and turnovers.
    Good read on the Williams effect. Video and diagrams that's why I posted the link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=+Buc...ient=firefox-a

wilbur marshall and otis wilson were absolute terrors chasing the qb.
    I think Dieter Brock (never thought I would ever mention his name in a post) would agree with you. I think he was our starting QB in that '85 playoff game, if I'm wrong please correct me.

Go Rams!

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I think Dieter Brock (never thought I would ever mention his name in a post) would agree with you. I think he was our starting QB in that '85 playoff game, if I'm wrong please correct me.

Go Rams!
    Yes he was.....but that team was built around number 29 and he was stuffed by da bears. Brock had nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast