Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quotes from Rams' coaches on Carriker being on the roster bubble

Here are all the quotes from Rams' coaches that have suggested that Adam Carriker might be among the final cuts:

That's right. There has not been a single public comment on the subject. The closest comment was Spags' statement that Carriker would have to earn back his starting job. That's not the same as Carriker being on the verge of being cut.

Nonetheless, the press and fans are whipping themselves into a frenzy.

I find it almost comical. Four weeks ago, Carriker was a returning starter that was thought to be a guy who would benefit greatly from Spags' system. Since then, he's been out with a short-term injury. That's right - he's been out. He hasn't been on field playing badly (like Tye Hill) or ept on the sidelines despite being ready to play (like Klop). He's been injured.

The only way I can see Carriker not on the Rams on opening day is if another team offers really good trade value. Otherwise, I expect that Carriker will be a major part of the DL rotation, and probably a starter, by opening day.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Quotes from Rams' coaches on Carriker being on the roster bubble

There was the article that after missing time he had to earn back his starting job, but wasnt there also one about him being back with the first team a few days after he returned to practice? Im surprised people are mentioning him as a potential casualty, as at the moment he is pretty much the best DT we have. Yes he might not have panned out and been the first rounder we expected, but its not like he is terrible.

Its funny. The more the local press takes shots at the guy, the bigger Carriker fan I become.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Nonetheless, the press and fans are whipping themselves into a frenzy.
    It's the way of the world these days, sadly: people often add two and two together and make five.... even highly-paid and "successful" journalists.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-02-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Unnecessary

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think there are 2 factors at play.

1: do they go with 4 or 5 DTs? The talk is that they will go with 5 DE and 4 DTs because Victor and Hall have been playing at DT in passing situations. Moore has supposedly been playing his way onto the roster at DE.

2: if it's 4, who do they cut? Scott, Thomas and Ryan are virtual sure things so it's between Gibson and Carriker. Gibson has been healthy and was put with the starting unit (Gibson was brought in by the DC who knew him in Carolina). Spags hasn't said anything about Carriker because he hasn't been around. He's said lots of nice things about Gibson.

I'd say it's a 99% chance the team ends up cutting Moore and going with both Carriker and Gibson. If Andy gets hurt again, all bets are off. Carriker missed the first 3 preseason games and much of the work through camp. He had better stay healthy. If he leaves the game tomorrow night injured again, I'd bet he's gone.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post

2: if it's 4, who do they cut? Scott, Thomas and Ryan are virtual sure things
    I'll give you Cliff Ryan, but what makes an over weight old guy and an unproven rookie sure things? I have followed our FO blindly up to this point, but I may have to start questioning them if we cut Carriker. I am surprised this is even a discussion.

The Rams will retain Ryan, Carriker and Scott. Bank on that.

They will also retain either Gibson, Thomas or possibly both.

If they truly like Gibson, and only 4 DTs are kept, I could see Thomas being the one to go.

I've already said there is a 99% chance of him returning if healthy but the situation reminds me of Pisa. Pisa didn't fit their mold, was undersized and they assessed he couldn't take the physical pounding required of this coaching staff. He goes to Chicago and is (of all things) the starting SLB. That's fine, coaches need to put THEIR guys in the system.

Has Andy shown in his period in the NFL that he's tough enough and can deliver the pounding this coaching staff wants to deliver? Hollis Thomas has shown that ability repeatedly over the years directly to Spags, Gibbons showed it to Flajole and Scott and Ryan haven't backed down. There is only one guy who keeps needing to be nursed along. Andy has basically been healthy for 2 weeks of camp after missing all of the mini-camps. Has he shown enough to make himself worthy of a roster spot? It's already been shown being a future Hall of Famer means nothing and a 1st round pick was cast aside for not meeting the requirements. Has Andy done enough in those 2 weeks?

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

On the other hand no one on the Rams coaching staff were talking about cutting Tye Hill either until they did it (as far as I know - I didn't hear a single quote indicating it before it happened). I think the general feeling with Tye Hill (among fans and press alike) was that he had underperformed and been injured a lot but that he would probably start alongside Bartell or at the very least take the nickelback position and play a large percentage of defensive snaps either way. But the coaching staff apparently saw every other CB on the roster leapfrog him in camp and then shipped him off. This staff means business and I don't think any players outside our top 5 or 10 should feel safe at this point - including Carriker although my personal feeling is he remains on our roster at least for one more year.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

If Andy gets hurt again
    Who's Andy?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I think there are 2 factors at play.

1: do they go with 4 or 5 DTs? The talk is that they will go with 5 DE and 4 DTs because Victor and Hall have been playing at DT in passing situations. Moore has supposedly been playing his way onto the roster at DE.

2: if it's 4, who do they cut? Scott, Thomas and Ryan are virtual sure things so it's between Gibson and Carriker. Gibson has been healthy and was put with the starting unit (Gibson was brought in by the DC who knew him in Carolina). Spags hasn't said anything about Carriker because he hasn't been around. He's said lots of nice things about Gibson.

I'd say it's a 99% chance the team ends up cutting Moore and going with both Carriker and Gibson. If Andy gets hurt again, all bets are off. Carriker missed the first 3 preseason games and much of the work through camp. He had better stay healthy. If he leaves the game tomorrow night injured again, I'd bet he's gone.
    Thomas isnt even fit enough yet, its not a sure thing he is kept. Carriker and Ryan are the starters. Gibson was with the ones when Adam was injured, so he is likely third. Then its down to Scott and Thomas. If Thomas doesnt get fit and Scott shows enough promise, Thomas could easily be on the way out

btimsah Guest

lol

Who knew Carriker was in trouble? I agree with Avenger on this one. Sounds like a lot of b.s.

While Carriker has been a disappointment, that's what happens when you move a defensive end, inside on a bad defense with two undersized defensive linemen, a horrible coaching staff, horrible secondary and average linebackers. (last year).

But I think whatever happens, Carriker will get a shot like everyone on that front will. Very few people should have safe jobs on a team that won so few games last season.

Billy was on NFL radio: Said Scott has impressed the coaching staff with his run and pass protection skills and flashes brilliance.

Carriker could play tomorrow night if it were a regular season game but they will seriously limit him to make sure he doesn't re-aggravate the ankle.

Lastly (and off topic) the Rams will be looking to sign a RB after cuts. He said they will be actively shopping for multiple positions to fill but are definitely looking at RBs.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Either way, this is a make or break season for Carriker as a Ram. I'm rooting for him, and you guys can throw all the stats out you want to but bottom line, he hasn't lived up to the slot he was drafted in. Be it injuries or whatever reason, he just hasn't done it. I hope he turns it around this year if he is in a Ram uni but the blatant reality that he is fighting for his job against a journeyman defensive lineman doesn't bode to well for the future.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Either way, this is a make or break season for Carriker as a Ram. I'm rooting for him, and you guys can throw all the stats out you want to but bottom line, he hasn't lived up to the slot he was drafted in. Be it injuries or whatever reason, he just hasn't done it. I hope he turns it around this year if he is in a Ram uni but the blatant reality that he is fighting for his job against a journeyman defensive lineman doesn't bode to well for the future.
    That's the way I see it. Carriker is in absolutely no danger this year, but he probably will be if he doesn't step it up, especially with a staff that expects guys to play to their potential.

That said, I think we'll see a different Adam Carriker this year under Spags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast